Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #1,187 of 4,142
well, i havent been following the 400i 560 thread the last few days, is there news that the pads will fit our beloved he4? They better, and they better sound good! Whats funny, is they copied everything from jerg,"jorg"(fang wrote jorg), but, he isnt really getting credit for all of his r&d. At least that im aware of. Thats how it goes though right? Just like emotiva will probably come out with a mini-x ii with an hp jack on front with in line resistors and sell it for $300. Sorry for The off topic, Ive been drinkin again.....

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #1,188 of 4,142
At least they're listening to the consumer in a sense. Not sure if they will or not but it's very similar to these denon pads, except hf will have both velour and pleather. If for some reason it doesn't fit the old hps which I doubt that it won't, you can fork the $40 for the denons.

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #1,189 of 4,142
I still want alpha pads, willing to bet they can be modded to sound right with the 4

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #1,190 of 4,142
  well, i havent been following the 400i 560 thread the last few days, is there news that the pads will fit our beloved he4? They better, and they better sound good! Whats funny, is they copied everything from jerg,"jorg"(fang wrote jorg), but, he isnt really getting credit for all of his r&d. At least that im aware of. Thats how it goes though right? Just like emotiva will probably come out with a mini-x ii with an hp jack on front with in line resistors and sell it for $300. Sorry for The off topic, Ive been drinkin again.....

The consensus is that the new pads from hifiman will work with older hifiman hp's.

Jan 18, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #1,191 of 4,142
Jan 20, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #1,192 of 4,142
I have been doing some listening to older rock on my HE-4s, and holy crap these things are unforgiving. I really think you could use these things for mixing, my studio monitors are more forgiving than them.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #1,193 of 4,142
  I have been doing some listening to older rock on my HE-4s, and holy crap these things are unforgiving. I really think you could use these things for mixing, my studio monitors are more forgiving than them.

+1. Actually just about every planar magnetic HP that I have shows up lousy recordings in some stark detail.

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #1,197 of 4,142
Hello all,
I'm looking at using these headphones with my Project Sunrise III.
I know someone preciously stated that these headphones didn't sound too great with the PSII, but has anyone tried them with the PSIII?
For reference, on the lowest output resistance setting, the amp can output 1W of power into 32 ohm headphones.
Thanks for your help.

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #1,198 of 4,142
"Both Sunrise and Horizon a undergone a slight revision as they are now into version III. The revisions were small but just enough to call them a version III. So no worries Sunrise II and Horizon II owners, you are not missing out." - Jeremy at Garage1217

I'd say that you shouldn't expect a big change, but I also think that you should just try it for yourself. 125.8mW will get the HE-4 to 105dB, so I don't think you need to worry too much about meeting power requirements.

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #1,199 of 4,142
Hmmm. I wonder has anyone tried the HE-4 with the WA7? It seems like it could be a pretty good pairing (Especially if you plan on upgrading eventually like me), considering the Woo is supposed to be able to output around a watt of power, and its somewhat higher output impedance really shouldn't effect them since they are orthos and damping doesn't matter. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #1,200 of 4,142
Ya it kept it. Those stock grills are very reflective/resonant. And and thick mesh doesn't help anything either.

Hey, hemi -- did you do your HE-4 grill removal/replacement and felt removal changes separately to notice the different effects with the Mini-X?

I've been in a love/hate relationship with the pairing for a little while - love the punch & high energy potential effects, but am occasionally scowling at how the upper-mids & treble come off as recessed or hollow/convex.  I did the grill removal for the first time last night and was pleased with the inroads it made in combating the issue.  How would you describe the felt removal effect, though?  Does it compound the grill removal effect, or does it change the sound in a different way?  The mod details on that step seem to be all about airiness, but I'm not sure that airiness is the direction I'm going for here. 

And with the felt removal, I also don't get how one would easily add it back in - in addition to having to 'peel' it off (some type of adhesive?), it also seems to tuck in out of sight at the outer edge, so I don't see how one would get it back underneath there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back