Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #1,171 of 4,142
3 projects accomplished so far tonight, 1. drink I.P.A, , 2. finish emotiva hp jack, 3. finish he4 re grill with felt removal. Well, i finished early, does that mean i get to drink more? Ya, i think it does.

id the new grill still keep that no grill sound? I'm still marveling at the improvement the mod made, I'm going to hit the dollar store tomorrow for some grills

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #1,172 of 4,142
Ya it kept it. Those stock grills are very reflective/resonant. And and thick mesh doesn't help anything either.

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #1,173 of 4,142
I have my emotiva for sale now in EU. If somebody in EU is interested just PM me. Like new condition, 1st buyer, box, warranty, invoice etc ... Only EU buyers.

Since I came back to the best combo no matter the price for driving he-4 in my opinion (was too stupid in the past and sold it unfortunately mainly thanks to some idiots and not trusting my own ears) I don't need emo anymore, you can get it in EU for some silly price. (especially when there is now 219$ normal price, shipping to EU + VAT&customs).

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #1,174 of 4,142
Are you referring to the ef-5 or lyr?

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #1,175 of 4,142
  Ummm, interesting.  For me the a-100 plus HE-4 was a bit to bright.  However, they didn't lack any air.  The air was better than any other pairing I had.  Bass response is really good as you pointed out.  Like you - I needed a bit more warmth.  The HE-4 is already a bright and airy headphone.

I was using a Ciunas DAC at the time.  That DAC is know to be on the arm side. 

+1, in my opinion with he-4 emo lacks depth for me (although width is large) no matter dac I tried. Put something like EF-5 (fullmusic 12au7 version, not old rca) or Lyr in your audio chain and you are in completely different dimension from the first note. Emo is very detailed and smooth in the mids (but not that detailed like ef-5) but sometimes it can tire your hearing especialy with something like modern dacs, though you can match some dac with super smooth sound and punchy bass to equalize that - this is just not the way for me, source needs to have all possible information, not be rolled somehow or smoothing sound and fast transients. I have tried some sansui and pioneer old receivers, even old yamahas but for he-4 nothing can stand next to ef-5/lyr combo, nothing can change my mind in this aspect. This is all about synergy and your ears ... There is something special I cannot explain, I just love to hear this combo, Lyr for some heavy duty stuff and ef-5 for jazz, classical, acoustic, small bands ... Amazing combo perfectly complementing each other.

btw when I was in possession of he-6 I found that even he-6 cannot beat that specific air and spaciousness of he-4

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #1,177 of 4,142

btw when I was in possession of he-6 I found that even he-6 cannot beat that specific air and spaciousness of he-4

Yeah - the problem with the HE-6 is the Lyr, EF-5, Mini-X and some Vintage receivers (some are to warm) wont get you there.  However, I do agree the HE-4 has just about the best air I've heard, If that's what your looking for.  The problem is sometimes to much air means to bright as well.  Like you said it's all in synergy and preference.  

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #1,178 of 4,142

Yeah - the problem with the HE-6 is the Lyr, EF-5, Mini-X and some Vintage receivers (some are to warm) wont get you there.  However, I do agree the HE-4 has just about the best air I've heard, If that's what your looking for.  The problem is sometimes to much air means to bright as well.  Like you said it's all in synergy and preference.  

Yeah it might be the reason but I find HE-4 much more interesting because of very special tonal balance and sound signature that just fits me the best.

I just love mentioned combos, I guess I've hit sweet spot between my preferences / ears / audio chain synergy. Just couldn't leave without it and that's why I have bought it again for good this time :D

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,181 of 4,142
I've got angled Denon pads coming in from overSeas, can't wait to try that.

I've found the he4 to be a very delightful HP minus the star felt and grill. It still sounds like a front row listener but instrument separation improves greatly while the highs becomes less pronounced. Still a lot of air but much more natural sounding

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #1,182 of 4,142
I just got some Denon angled pads in from China. It should fit right over the hifiman mount rings, seems it would be comfortable. I'll know more tonight or this weekend.

Only thing with these is the felt is sewn directly under the pad so no stuffing of materials can be done to fatten them and get more driver separation. They're real soft and would seem comfy. Hope they sound good!

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #1,183 of 4,142
I just got some Denon angled pads in from China. It should fit right over the hifiman mount rings, seems it would be comfortable. I'll know more tonight or this weekend.

Only thing with these is the felt is sewn directly under the pad so no stuffing of materials can be done to fatten them and get more driver separation. They're real soft and would seem comfy. Hope they sound good!

I've been wanting to try those, where did you buy them from?

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #1,184 of 4,142

indeed, do tell sir. I'd love to get some leather/pleather on these.

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #1,185 of 4,142

EBay, I'm sure I overpaid for them... find out literally 2 days after ordering that HF will have angled pads come March. Should've waited as I'm sure they'll be around $20/pair...oh well.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261349307920

Users who are viewing this thread

Back