Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #1,156 of 4,142
I have a general question regarding the powering of inefficient headphones. This may not be the best place to ask it, but since i am an HE-4 owner, i figure its close enough.

Anyway, i have been powering my HE-4 with a Burson HA-160. It gets me to listening volumes at a little past 9 o'clock, and i am happy with the sound quality. But does this mean i am powering the headphone correctly? More specifically, does getting my HE-4 to listening volumes without cranking my amp mean that i am providing the headphone with adequate power?

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #1,157 of 4,142
As long as your amp is operating within its current limits, you are getting the exact same power, voltage, and current that you would be getting if you listened at the same volume through 1,000 watt monoblocks, or anything else for that matter. 

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #1,159 of 4,142
  As long as your amp is operating within its current limits, you are getting the exact same power, voltage, and current that you would be getting if you listened at the same volume through 1,000 watt monoblocks, or anything else for that matter. 

Thanks for the info, thats what i was thinking. I hear so much about amps not powering these guys fully, but maybe i just listen quiet. I was also worried that maybe i dont listen loud enough to make the headphone sound as good as it can.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #1,160 of 4,142
  I have a general question regarding the powering of inefficient headphones. This may not be the best place to ask it, but since i am an HE-4 owner, i figure its close enough.

Anyway, i have been powering my HE-4 with a Burson HA-160. It gets me to listening volumes at a little past 9 o'clock, and i am happy with the sound quality. But does this mean i am powering the headphone correctly? More specifically, does getting my HE-4 to listening volumes without cranking my amp mean that i am providing the headphone with adequate power?

If you can get the headphones to comfortable listening levels, you have enough power.

Is this true? I was under the impression that power is constant and that the pot/knob affects voltage (and, in turn, current).

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #1,161 of 4,142

Is this true? I was under the impression that power is constant and that the pot/knob affects voltage.

The knob controls voltage, yes. Voltage affects the power through the headphones according to Ohm's law, P = V^2 /R. V is the voltage you get at a given volume setting, and R is the impedance of the headphones. So power changes as you move the volume knob, which adjusts voltage. The power ratings for amps are maximum limits. I.e. what you get with the volume all the way up. 

IMO it makes more sense to think of amps as providing a maximum voltage instead of a maximum power, because voltage is what you actually control with the knob. The impedance of the headphones decides how much power you get at that voltage. This also explains why amps put different amounts of power into difference impedances. 

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #1,162 of 4,142

The knob controls voltage, yes. Voltage affects the power through the headphones according to Ohm's law, P = V^2 /R. V is the voltage you get at a given volume setting, and R is the impedance of the headphones. So power changes as you move the volume knob, which adjusts voltage. The power ratings for amps are maximum limits. I.e. what you get with the volume all the way up. 

IMO it makes more sense to think of amps as providing a maximum voltage instead of a maximum power, because voltage is what you actually control with the knob. The impedance of the headphones decides how much power you get at that voltage. This also explains why amps put different amounts of power into difference impedances. 

I was thinking along the lines of P=IV for some reason. Current is constant then? It seems, based on this assessment, that the whole "you need more power" bandwagon is completely BS. 

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #1,164 of 4,142
  I was thinking along the lines of P=IV for some reason. Current is constant then? It seems, based on this assessment, that the whole "you need more power" bandwagon is completely BS. 

Current isn't necessarily constant, but it is the load (the headphone in this case) not the amplifier that dictates the current draw. In this case current is not constant.

I have also been skeptical of the "orthos need gobs of power" thing. I have used a Starving Student (19J6), a PPA, and a Burson HA-160 and all have powered my HE-4 sufficiently.

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #1,166 of 4,142
 It seems, based on this assessment, that the whole "you need more power" bandwagon is completely BS. 

Yep. As long as an amp isn't clipping or distorting at volumes you want to listen to, you're probably good on power. A little extra never hurts for high dynamic range music, but I agree that power requirements are often overstated. Especially for the more sensitive orthos. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #1,169 of 4,142
3 projects accomplished so far tonight, 1. drink I.P.A, , 2. finish emotiva hp jack, 3. finish he4 re grill with felt removal. Well, i finished early, does that mean i get to drink more? Ya, i think it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back