Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #1,141 of 4,142

This insane contraption is the first thing that came to my mind. For that ugly design alone I have no interest in the 400i, and for the price of the 560. Am I the only person who thinks the he4 is comfortable? Especially with the Beyer repl headband. I do wish the pads were deeper though.

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #1,142 of 4,142
I thought of the Abyss as well. At least the grip on the new HFM is built into the headband, whereas the Abyss is adjustable at the top, making it a one-size-fits-one kind of headphone.

Between the look and the rumors of it being single ended, it definitely seems like the Abyss was a big influence here. I won't lie, I'm kinda scratching my neck like a HFM addict... No headphone company impresses me like they do.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #1,143 of 4,142
  I thought of the Abyss as well. At least the grip on the new HFM is built into the headband, whereas the Abyss is adjustable at the top, making it a one-size-fits-one kind of headphone.

Between the look and the rumors of it being single ended, it definitely seems like the Abyss was a big influence here. I won't lie, I'm kinda scratching my neck like a HFM addict... No headphone company impresses me like they do.

The curious thing is that the Abyss's magnet array is on the ear-side, while the HE4 (and presumably the new HFMs)'s are on the outward-facing side of the drivers. Obviously this difference would impart drastically different sonics.

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #1,144 of 4,142
  ^^ Or you could look at it like this. It's a perfect time to get a good deal on a tried and true model. Given HFM history of several revisions this might be the safer route to go. 

I am not going to buy any more Hifiman cans that have not been approved by the triumvirate of Matt, MLE and Preproman 
biggrin.gif
. I already have the HE4 and the Emotiva based on their recommendations. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #1,151 of 4,142

Look what showed up today. Now, listened to 3 tracks, and do not know where I stand yet. Vs the pioneer, the bass tightened up, but damn all my warmth went out the window! Need a few days to decide if this stays or I return and go tube instead, lyr or ember.

EDIT

A few albums in now, emotiva is a heavy contender here, for 170 shipped, this bad boy can generate some clean clean power for the he4. Cant run my mags or the shure 840s without hiss, would need resistors. The emotiva excels at bass control and detail vs my sx727, but the 727 has this ever forgiving warmth to it that i miss. Blacker background vs the pioneer, but that is likely due to me not replacing all caps and resistors during "rehab". I feel like im also losing some airyness for some reason. I really figured i would gain detail and imaging, which i have, but thought that airyness would stay on the same level. For some reason, the emotiva has left some behind, which isnt a huge deal but i do notice it. I feel, excited for some gains, but let down by others. I want to believe if i go back and finish m pioneer it would end up being the winner, if i can get the bass control on par. I need to see what this mini does with my klh model sixes, because with the pioneer they are absolutely outstanding, great mid forward speakers. Dont get me wrong, i like the emotiva so far, just dont know if it should be in permanent standing, afterall im in search of my "until im 40 endgame" HP rig.

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #1,152 of 4,142
Ummm, interesting.  For me the a-100 plus HE-4 was a bit to bright.  However, they didn't lack any air.  The air was better than any other pairing I had.  Bass response is really good as you pointed out.  Like you - I needed a bit more warmth.  The HE-4 is already a bright and airy headphone.

I was using a Ciunas DAC at the time.  That DAC is know to be on the arm side. 

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #1,154 of 4,142
   I'm very interested in getting HE-4's, but I was wondering if my (new) M Stage HPA-2 (USB) has enough juice for them? Or, rather, has anyone heard this setup yet?

It would be really tight with that amp. I think you would probably need to upgrade. I already am almost maxing my amp which is twice as powerful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back