Hidizs Sonata HD DAC cable - new tiny and mighty DAC&AMP
Jan 2, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #256 of 862
My biggest problem using the Sonata DAC II on Pixel 2XL is that the in-line controls/microphone are inconsistent, it wasn't an issue with the included Pixel dongle, only the sound quality was.
I tried all the firmwares, on A,B,v2 the inline microphone on Fiio F9 works, but on headphones without in-line controls microphone does not work at all, from neither phone or obviously in-line microphone, it is expecting a microphone from the 3.5 jack, and in result person on the other line gets no sound. This was not an issue with the original Pixel dongle.

On C firmware, the microphone from the phone is used, so it works with all headphone configurations, but the in-line microphone does not work. except strangely it works for holding the button to call Google Assistant after the display is turned off.
On all firmwares when the music is paused for 30 seconds or so, the headset in-line controls are shut down, and do not respond, it might be another gift from using USB-C for audio. This also wasn't an issue with the original Pixel dongle. Though, resuming the audio on phone enables both audio and in-line controls.

I'd advise to reconsider acquiring this DAC to anyone who aren't ready to deal with issues, having to compromise either audio quality or microphone on their headphones, but it's easier if only 1 type of headphones are used, and you need to predict your usage patterns to install the most fitting Firmware. The sound quality is excellent in general, though, and especially for the size it's insanely good.
I do not recommend using this dongle if You rely on in-line controls, microphone and Assistant at the same time, without touching the phone.

Removal of 3.5 Jack rant: Even though a third party DAC like this enables better sound than any in-built DAC with 3.5 jack, the issues introduced, struggle with dongling around, and requiring You to have it with You at all times and extra expenses, inability to charge while listening to audio, just blow these advantages wide open. Stupid Apple just had to go and kill off a perfectly working port/system in order to increase their royalty profits, and all the other idiots follow, improving their profits, while ruining user experience. Bravo. :beerchug:

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #257 of 862
My biggest problem using the Sonata DAC II on Pixel 2XL is that the in-line controls/microphone are inconsistent, it wasn't an issue with the included Pixel dongle, only the sound quality was.
I tried all the firmwares, on A,B,v2 the inline microphone on Fiio F9 works, but on headphones without in-line controls microphone does not work at all, from neither phone or obviously in-line microphone, it is expecting a microphone from the 3.5 jack, and in result person on the other line gets no sound. This was not an issue with the original Pixel dongle.

Isn't it logical? For me - it is.

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #258 of 862
Did someone make a comparison with Earstudio Es100 ?

Very short:
The ES100 is fuler sounding while still having great detail retrieval and clarity. It's also more versatile imo being wireless and having a great app combined with it.

The Sonata HD is brighter (without being harsh or fatiguing in any way) which gives a perception of better clarity.

I really love them both and use them equally much (and every day). The ES100 I use when I like the freedom of a wireless device but also when listening to IEM's or headphones that likes a extra hint of warmth. The Sonata HD I keep with me all the time as it doesn't need to be charged and I use it the old fashioned way as it performs a lot better then the headphone output on my Galaxy S8. I also like to pair it with warmer and/or more intimate sounding IEM's/headphones.

I hope this helps :)

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #259 of 862
Brighter is what I want too hear Peter. Just what Im looking for with the warmer intimate Xelento for the Google pixel 1. Just bought this off ebay cant go wrong for 30 buckeroos !

Jan 2, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #260 of 862

On C firmware, the microphone from the phone is used, so it works with all headphone configurations, but the in-line microphone does not work. except strangely it works for holding the button to call Google Assistant after the display is turned off.
On all firmwares when the music is paused for 30 seconds or so, the headset in-line controls are shut down, and do not respond, it might be another gift from using USB-C for audio. This also wasn't an issue with the original Pixel dongle. Though, resuming the audio on phone enables both audio and in-line controls.

I'd advise to reconsider acquiring this DAC to anyone who aren't ready to deal with issues, having to compromise either audio quality or microphone on their headphones, but it's easier if only 1 type of headphones are used, and you need to predict your usage patterns to install the most fitting Firmware. The sound quality is excellent in general, though, and especially for the size it's insanely good.
I do not recommend using this dongle if You rely on in-line controls, microphone and Assistant at the same time, without touching the phone.

Removal of 3.5 Jack rant: Even though a third party DAC like this enables better sound than any in-built DAC with 3.5 jack, the issues introduced, struggle with dongling around, and requiring You to have it with You at all times and extra expenses, inability to charge while listening to audio, just blow these advantages wide open. Stupid Apple just had to go and kill off a perfectly working port/system in order to increase their royalty profits, and all the other idiots follow, improving their profits, while ruining user experience. Bravo. :beerchug:
And so you bought the pixel 2 xl? ... You're a complainer. This is a DAC to listen to music, it is not 100% compatible with all Android smartphones. This is obvious since there are many Android today, it is not like they all have a certification

Jan 4, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #261 of 862
Isn't it logical? For me - it is.
With that I meant that the dongle doesn't redirect the microphone function to phone. So I have to unplug the headphones for the person to be able to hear me through the phone's microphone. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.
And so you bought the pixel 2 xl? ... You're a complainer. This is a DAC to listen to music, it is not 100% compatible with all Android smartphones. This is obvious since there are many Android today, it is not like they all have a certification
Sure, compaining is in my veins, but I also mentioned that I very much appreciate the sound quality for the DAC. That said, I don't think it's wrong for me to tell about the issues with the product.

I am ready to compromise the above mentioned for the means of better sound, but I can't help but to express the inconveniece they introduce, though. And I would gladly buy a V3 DAC, if that's what it takes for the manufactures to have it be worth getting sorted out.

Jan 4, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #262 of 862
With that I meant that the dongle doesn't redirect the microphone function to phone. So I have to unplug the headphones for the person to be able to hear me through the phone's microphone. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.

Sure, compaining is in my veins, but I also mentioned that I very much appreciate the sound quality for the DAC. That said, I don't think it's wrong for me to tell about the issues with the product.

I am ready to compromise the above mentioned for the means of better sound, but I can't help but to express the inconveniece they introduce, though. And I would gladly buy a V3 DAC, if that's what it takes for the manufactures to have it be worth getting sorted out.
I totally understand you, but if you are using the smartphone and given that the Sonata is small and basically if you are using it, you have the smartphone at hand. Then you use the smartphone's microphone and not the headphones. But I understand and respect what you say, but it's not that bad either.

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #263 of 862
I totally understand you, but if you are using the smartphone and given that the Sonata is small and basically if you are using it, you have the smartphone at hand. Then you use the smartphone's microphone and not the headphones. But I understand and respect what you say, but it's not that bad either.
Well, using the phone's mic is the smallest of the issues. The most infuriating issue is that the in-line controls often don't work. And when I unlock the phone, it slides volume all the way down, and sometimes the volume button on the phone don't work until I re-plug the DAC.

It's 2019, and we still have to fiddle around to get in-line controls to work properly, lol.
I tried using bluetooth, and the in-line controls were butchered as well. I had to use the receiver to control everything, and use it as a microphone, in the end the audio performance was unacceptable to me, so I got rid of it. Just APT-X, no LDAC, I'm considering taking another leap of faith.
On that note, how can Apple force users to use Bluetooth, if they use the crappy AAC bluetooth coded. Just because majority of popular music genres are straight garbage, doesn't mean that they should trash it even more... sigh, where is humanity coming to..

Jan 4, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #264 of 862
Well, using the phone's mic is the smallest of the issues. The most infuriating issue is that the in-line controls often don't work. And when I unlock the phone, it slides volume all the way down, and sometimes the volume button on the phone don't work until I re-plug the DAC.

It's 2019, and we still have to fiddle around to get in-line controls to work properly, lol.
I tried using bluetooth, and the in-line controls were butchered as well. I had to use the receiver to control everything, and use it as a microphone, in the end the audio performance was unacceptable to me, so I got rid of it. Just APT-X, no LDAC, I'm considering taking another leap of faith.
On that note, how can Apple force users to use Bluetooth, if they use the ****ty AAC bluetooth coded. Just because majority of popular music genres are straight garbage, doesn't mean that they should trash it even more... sigh, where is humanity coming to..
Wait, those errors if they do not happen to me, and I have a Google Pixel 2. I never block the volume buttons and I do not get off when I swipe. You have a problem with your unit, return it and ask for another one.

Jan 5, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #265 of 862
Wait, those errors if they do not happen to me, and I have a Google Pixel 2. I never block the volume buttons and I do not get off when I swipe. You have a problem with your unit, return it and ask for another one.
Do You have an issue when if I pause playback, then some time later when you try to resume with the in-line controls, they do not respond to play/pause? Volume keys work fine though, for me. Then, when I use the software notification for resuming the playback, volume runs back to 0, after that I can turn the volume up again.
I have the firmware set to D, I just tried the same for another same model DAC, and it has the default firmware, not sure which, but on it, it doesn't shut down media controls after being in-active for a while, and doesn't do that volume thing. Which firmware do You use?

Edit: Just flashed the D (no pun intended) on the 2nd DAC and it has the same issue. It's like this on both players I use, AIMP and Spotify.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #266 of 862
just got the cable and trying too change it to d pure music mode and the Write EEPROM v1.4 temptotec only vendor id/product id tab. when i click write eeprom it says usb device not found and then eeprom cant be written. the vendor id is 262A, product id is 9302. also ive tryed it with the use evb vid and pid box unchecked and checked, doesnt make difference. this is annoying. its recognized by the windows 10 computer and plays music fine, ive also already downloaded the asio driver for it, but apparently that has nothing too do with the modes. i wanna get the pure music top audio d mode, plz help.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #267 of 862
just got the cable and trying too change it to d pure music mode and the Write EEPROM v1.4 temptotec only vendor id/product id tab. when i click write eeprom it says usb device not found and then eeprom cant be written. the vendor id is 262A, product id is 9302. also ive tryed it with the use evb vid and pid box unchecked and checked, doesnt make difference. this is annoying. its recognized by the windows 10 computer and plays music fine, ive also already downloaded the asio driver for it, but apparently that has nothing too do with the modes. i wanna get the pure music top audio d mode, plz help.
Go to Windows+X > ("M") Device Manager > Find the device at Sound section > Events tab > See the device PID and VID > Plug it in and enter those values (4 digit combos for each) and follow the instructions on the program

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #268 of 862
on windows 10 events under information:

Device SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.0.00000000}.{403aa22b-a652-4f56-9fb8-4a96e149fb54} was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.0.00000000}.{08f6db22-6258-432d-8a22-4c1cbac51755}
Class Guid: {C166523C-FE0C-4A94-A586-F1A80CFBBF3E}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF00000000000F120
Present: false

not seeing them

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #269 of 862
on windows 10 events under information:

Device SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.0.00000000}.{403aa22b-a652-4f56-9fb8-4a96e149fb54} was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.0.00000000}.{08f6db22-6258-432d-8a22-4c1cbac51755}
Class Guid: {C166523C-FE0C-4A94-A586-F1A80CFBBF3E}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF00000000000F120
Present: false

not seeing them

You have to scroll all the informations until you find the PID and VID. I had yesterday the same problem.

By the way, I received the cable yesterday and I tried it with the iPad Pro.... this thing is just superb (and much better then the Apple Dongle)!!!

Jan 6, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #270 of 862
Do You have an issue when if I pause playback, then some time later when you try to resume with the in-line controls, they do not respond to play/pause? Volume keys work fine though, for me. Then, when I use the software notification for resuming the playback, volume runs back to 0, after that I can turn the volume up again.
I have the firmware set to D, I just tried the same for another same model DAC, and it has the default firmware, not sure which, but on it, it doesn't shut down media controls after being in-active for a while, and doesn't do that volume thing. Which firmware do You use?

Edit: Just flashed the D (no pun intended) on the 2nd DAC and it has the same issue. It's like this on both players I use, AIMP and Spotify.
Hello, as you say the pause works but if you want to resume, but it just does not work on MusicHiby in Poweramp if it works.
And I never turn down the volume, always follow where I leave it. Try what you say and nothing happened. It works normally.

It may be that the pause and play button is for the music application, you could try USB Audio Player PRO, worth 8 dollars but many comment that it works and the developer listens to the problems of the users and resolves them always.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back