Hidizs Sonata HD DAC cable - new tiny and mighty DAC&AMP
Jan 7, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #271 of 862
The dongle works not as I aspected: With my iPad Pro if I play a track and the track stops for many seconds I have to attach the Dongle again then if not it doesn't work.

By the way, some comparison with the NextDrive Spectra X?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #272 of 862
got the D music working, thanks for help. ive owned and sold smsl idea es100 Oppo ha2 opus #11 and sony zx300. This is currently my only dacamp and will be for a while. Its all completely subjective/sound signature preference some just cost more than others, that's the conclusion I've come too and no I'm not an audiophile but now feel like I've had some experience with what people say is great stuff. with this one you dont have too lug around an extra device, just your phone. Popup some YouTube and start banging.tart is about as good as sound as your gonna get, save yourself hundreds of bucks and is ultra portable, take it too bed and hook up too your cpu with the supplied USB extender, Checkmate. thanks Hidisz love you, if I had the same knowledge now months ago I'd have come too this conclusion and saved a lotta time and $. be watching for what else you come up with :L3000:

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #273 of 862
The dongle works not as I aspected: With my iPad Pro if I play a track and the track stops for many seconds I have to attach the Dongle again then if not it doesn't work.

By the way, some comparison with the NextDrive Spectra X?
That's the problem of the application, it happens to me on Android with Google play music, it stops at 20 seconds. But with music hiby it works without cuts

Jan 8, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #274 of 862
I am trying to get the DAC working with my phone (Essential PH1) and Tidal Music player. I have a subscription to the high resolution option and cannot get any file to play through the DAC when I have the Tidal app set to Master or HiFi audio quality. The sound comes through only one side and the volume is maximum or off, no in between. I tried flashing different firmwares and none work, different headphones, different cords, etc all to no avail. The DAC does work normally with Pandora, Google Music, USB Audio Player Pro, etc. I really want to use the native Tidal app as the layout is much more user friendly than using USBAPP and Tidal via their app. Any ideas????

Jan 9, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #275 of 862
I am trying to get the DAC working with my phone (Essential PH1) and Tidal Music player. I have a subscription to the high resolution option and cannot get any file to play through the DAC when I have the Tidal app set to Master or HiFi audio quality. The sound comes through only one side and the volume is maximum or off, no in between. I tried flashing different firmwares and none work, different headphones, different cords, etc all to no avail. The DAC does work normally with Pandora, Google Music, USB Audio Player Pro, etc. I really want to use the native Tidal app as the layout is much more user friendly than using USBAPP and Tidal via their app. Any ideas????

Does it play normally with headphones connected without DAC cable?

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #276 of 862
Hey guys,

Just got my Sonata II Cable yesterday. DId the firmware flashing, all was good. However, whenever it came to playing any music, whether its on my phone or my laptop, there's always this very obvious hiss. I played some music off downloaded music, or on YouTube, it seems that it is always there every time there's sound playing and when there's no sound, there's no hiss.

One more thing I noticed too is that the USB C cable plug was REALLY hot after using it for a while, I wonder if that's normal.

Not so much of a good day for me. :frowning2:

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #277 of 862
Hey guys,

Just got my Sonata II Cable yesterday. DId the firmware flashing, all was good. However, whenever it came to playing any music, whether its on my phone or my laptop, there's always this very obvious hiss. I played some music off downloaded music, or on YouTube, it seems that it is always there every time there's sound playing and when there's no sound, there's no hiss.

One more thing I noticed too is that the USB C cable plug was REALLY hot after using it for a while, I wonder if that's normal.

Wgat are you using to get hiss? It shouldn;t be very hissy, unless your headphones / IEMs are very sensitive

As for the heat, it is mostly normal, depending what you're connecting it to, especially if you keep it very loud

Jan 9, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #278 of 862
Hey guys,

I complained about the exact same thing a few pages back. Mine is very hissy with my IEMs as well. I now use it once in a while with a less sensitive headphone, like my HD600. Not ideal, and kinda defeats the purpose of a portable rig. Oh well, you live and learn. Luckily it was dirt cheap. I actually ended up buying a Shanling M0 and stopped trying to mess with phone-DACs. :)

EDIT: someone on the Head-Fi Facebook just commented on the Sonata:

"Sonata HD has 32 ohms output impedance. Not very good if you have sensitive IEMs."

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #279 of 862
I am struggling to make my Huawei Mate 20 pro to work with it and UAPP
It works fine with Tidal and Spotify. No way with Uapp.. It gives me error as a soon as I start playing music

Jan 9, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #280 of 862
I complained about the exact same thing a few pages back. Mine is very hissy with my IEMs as well. I now use it once in a while with a less sensitive headphone, like my HD600. Not ideal, and kinda defeats the purpose of a portable rig. Oh well, you live and learn. Luckily it was dirt cheap. I actually ended up buying a Shanling M0 and stopped trying to mess with phone-DACs. :)

EDIT: someone on the Head-Fi Facebook just commented on the Sonata:

"Sonata HD has 32 ohms output impedance. Not very good if you have sensitive IEMs."
Ouch, thanks for this. Was interested trying out Sonata since I've been mighty impressed by similar devices by Musiland, but not if it has hiss issues, and that output impedance... wonder if the reportedly bright signature is mostly because of impedance mismatch.

Jan 9, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #281 of 862
I just found out that my old Hifiman RE0's have a relatively high impedance of 64ohm, so on paper these should work well with the Sonata. Gonna give it a try tonight and see what happens. :)

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #283 of 862
Nice review, thanks. I was looking forward to sth like this but... fir 2.5mm balanced cable.. :frowning2: hopefully this will follow, or is there an adapter also available as accessoire from 3.5 to 2.5?

Can't you just use a 3.5 to 2.5 balanced adapter?

s-l300.jpg

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #284 of 862

Could be because the Sonata DAC doesn't support MQA files? You need something like the Meridian 2 for that.

This DAC works totally fine of my Essential Phone. I don't use Tidal though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back