Hiby R6 Pro II (2023 Edition) - Launch, Hype, Thoughts & More
Aug 5, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #767 of 1,944
Interesting that you prefer it to your DX320. I am considering both the Hiby and DX320 for my next player. I was leaning more to the DX320, mostly due to better battery. However, as my use will be only at home an 8 hour battery life will suffice. It just means more frequent charging and more charge cycles and with a 10 hour battery life the DX320 isn't much better.
Not a big difference in battery life between the two. Yes I prefer the R6P2 in all aspects to the Dx320.
R6P2 for me sounds perfect, very musical and enjoyable compared to the more reference like Dx320.
R6P2 is much more compact. R6P2 has far superior software tweaks.

If battery life was the main concern, I would go for the Zx707 (which I also own btw). But switching between the Zx707 and R6P2, the winner is clearly R6P2 for sound quality which is the most important point in the end in a DAP. R6P2 outputs a clean, dynamic and punchy sound, the difference is noticeable.

Every time the battery is reducing, I remind myself that this DAP comes with 2xAK4499EX and a class AB/A amp. Can’t have flagship DAPs in a compact portable player and ask for Sony like battery life. Zx707 - DAC unknown, AMP is class D.

If you’re not listening to 8 hours music every day, you only charge it once in couple of days. It’s not a big issue tbh.

Aug 5, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #768 of 1,944
Hello guys.
Thanks for this thread and for reviews.

I'm just order purple R6 pro II from HiFiGo Store at $710. For this price, you need to write to the seller, citing the fact that a friend recently bought a DAP for $710 and ask him to set that price. The seller is very responsive.
Store provides full 2 year warranty.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #770 of 1,944
It will be used for mostly late night listening, when I don't want to disturb neihghbours using my speakers, and listening in bed so the battery life doesn't need to be great. I certainly won't be sat with it for 8 hours straight and I'm not someone who sleeps with a DAP playing all night either. If the main criteria was good battery life then only the Sony's provide that really. I've heard a fair few complaints about the software being laggy or subpar on Android Sony's and there is also the hassle of having to get an imported version, due to their volume limiting. Due to that I am reluctant to get one.

Regarding sound, I'm not convinced I'd hear much, if any, big difference between DAPs. I currently have 2 DAPs and 3 IEMs and there is no difference between the DAPs in sound on 2 of my 3 IEMs. I can only hear a difference between the DAPs on 1 of my IEMs, the cheapest IEM... Similar with my over ears. Have tried them on a variety of sources, with a huge difference in price, and heard little, if any, difference. For that reason I am somewhat reluctant to pay for the DX320 as I don't really expect to hear any significant improvement in sound over my existing sources. What I would be more willing to pay for is the great screen and smooth software/UI experience offered. Also worth factoring in that the DX320 is roughly double the price of the Hiby and I can guarantee I won't think it sounds twice as good. Law of diminishing returns and all that.
I don’t know what DAPs you currently own. If you own DAPs from different manufacturers, there’s almost always a difference since everyone tunes their DAPs differently even if they have the same DACs, AMPs etc.

In the end, go with whichever DAP brand/model suits your taste of music. No matter how expensive or great a DAP is, if the tuning is not to your liking, you’ll have to mess around with EQ and such. At least I’m not a fan of EQing as it alters the original sound quite a bit.

I love the R6P2 because I don’t have to EQ it at all. Every music genre, every headphone and iem I have sound perfect to my ears with the R6P2.

Aug 6, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #772 of 1,944
After a month of using the R6 Pro II, I just wanted to say that this is a masterpiece !
The tuning is so perfect across the frequency range, nothing to point out that is too low or too high, no matter if I'm listening with my reference open back headphones or a Sony Z1R closed back or a VE EXT or an EE Odyssey. Everything sounds just the way it should !
It definitely beats all the gear I have, including the Dx320 (stock AMP), Zx707 and many other portable DAC/AMPs.

You know that happy feeling you get when you listen to your favorite music that you feel like going out and dancing ?
That's how I feel every time I listen to music with the R6 Pro II. I doubt any DAP even twice it's price range can beat it.

Now coming to things I would like improved/changed (again my personal preference). @Joe Bloggs
1. The physical buttons. In future, at least add an etched dot (.) to some of the buttons like play/pause or volume + like Sony does to make it easier to find the buttons.
Also it's too sensitive. The stock case is beautiful, but functionally quite useless since it makes the buttons worse.
2. Software volume control - Who on earth decided to make it a full screen rainbow ? A nice compact volume indicator would be nice. Again, an example is the one on the Zx707
3. Audio ports at the top please ? While chilling on the couch or bed and holding the DAP in hand, it's not so convenient to have the cable running from the bottom.
Inverting the screen and using the DAP is easier said than done, especially with a design like the R6P2.

That's it. I'm pretty much happy with everything else the DAP offers, totally worth it's price and more !
Glad to hear you like it overall.

1. Can't help about the dot right now but many users here (including me) have simply pulled out the plastic pads for the buttons from inside the case and that's fixed the oversensitivity issue.

2. It's not just an indicator, but an onscreen controller. Not sure if this is current but the interface on Sony also appeared to be full-screen
1691330154143.png

3. Not sure what you mean here. There's a dedicated button for inverting the screen and once inverted the shape is exactly the same as before in terms of handholding.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 6, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #773 of 1,944
If the main criteria was good battery life then only the Sony's provide that really.
Well the R5II is right up there with the best of the Sonys in terms of battery life when used in eco mode, which is all that the Sonys have really, so any argument that the R5II doesn't provide that level of battery life in its "main" mode goes out the window.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 7, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #774 of 1,944
Glad to hear you like it overall.

1. Can't help about the dot right now but many users here (including me) have simply pulled out the plastic pads for the buttons from inside the case and that's fixed the oversensitivity issue.

2. It's not just an indicator, but an onscreen controller. Not sure if this is current but the interface on Sony also appeared to be full-screen
1691330154143.png

3. Not sure what you mean here. There's a dedicated button for inverting the screen and once inverted the shape is exactly the same as before in terms of handholding.
Thank you for your reply !

2. This is the UI on the Zx707 when you press Volume +/-. The fullscreen volume UI only pops up if you click on the mini UI or the volume option in the notification bar.
1691408728031.jpeg

3. The screen space on the Hiby R6P2 is not the same on both sides. There is a gap at the bottom to allow for easy swipes especially when the case is on. When you flip the screen vertically, this gap is now at the top. Swiping from the bottom is not so easy since there is no gap at the bottom now.

Also, at least personally for me the button layout on the Hiby R6P2 is the worst I have seen in a DAP.
The Play/Next/Previous buttons for example. The single button is either Next/Previous depending on the orientation and one of the buttons in the Next/Previous functions as Play/Pause ? This is so confusing. I didn’t find an option to remap these buttons.

Anyways like I said, these are more of a feedback than a complaint. I‘m quite happy with the DAP.

Aug 7, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #775 of 1,944
@nioh you'd be surprised to find that there is actually no need to swipe up from the bottom, or even anywhere near the bottom. A swipe up (even for a page-turn or whatever you call it) is a swipe up anywhere on the screen...

Aug 8, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #776 of 1,944
@nioh you'd be surprised to find that there is actually no need to swipe up from the bottom, or even anywhere near the bottom. A swipe up (even for a page-turn or whatever you call it) is a swipe up anywhere on the screen...
You’re right. This is not an issue.

Also I want to add thanks to Hiby for bringing us a fantastic flagship DAP at a reasonable price !
I just saw the Cayin N30LE leak. It has the same 2 DACs, Nutube and a bit more RAM.
It costs 7 times more and weighs 3 times heavier !
Pity on the poor souls who would buy it.

Aug 8, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #777 of 1,944
You’re right. This is not an issue.

Also I want to add thanks to Hiby for bringing us a fantastic flagship DAP at a reasonable price !
I just saw the Cayin N30LE leak. It has the same 2 DACs, Nutube and a bit more RAM.
It costs 7 times more and weighs 3 times heavier !
Pity on the poor souls who would buy it.
Yes you're right Hiby did a great job at a good price. I'm very happy too. It will be even better with the next update that solves the LO issue 😉

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #778 of 1,944
Hello, I just received the player and it's stuck on the power on screen !
Is this normal ??? I can't even power it off

1691516808031.png

Edit: It's still stuck after 1 hour !
If the battery ends, will the logo disappear ???

Edit2: It powered off using Power + Skip Prev

Edit3: Working now after power reset.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #779 of 1,944
Hello, I just received the player and it's stuck on the power on screen !
Is this normal ??? I can't even power it off

Edit: It's still stuck after 1 hour !
If the battery ends, will the logo disappear ???
Press the power button + Skip Prev for 20-30 seconds. This will force a reboot and dap should start ok after. This happened to me once or twice and it fixed it.

Edited.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #780 of 1,944
Press the power button + volume up (or down) for 20-30 seconds, cant remember which one. This will force a reboot and dap should start ok after. This happened to me once or twice and it fixed it.
Hi,

It powered off, but this combination didn't worked. I had to use it Power + Skip Prev (a fellow in GizAudio discord helped me)

I will let it fully charge and power it back on and see what happens.....

Thanks anyway

Edit: working now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back