Hiby R6 Pro II (2023 Edition) - Launch, Hype, Thoughts & More
Jul 30, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #751 of 1,943
STRONGLY considering the R6 Pro II.
I currently have the R6 III and like it but feel it's missing something.
Most of the time, I actually find myself listening with my Cayin RU7 dongle instead of the internal DAC.
I only use the R6 III for 3 to 4 hours a day tops at work so the battery shouldn't be an issue.
Would anyone who has heard both speak to whether or not the sonic differences would justify the "upgrade"?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #753 of 1,943
Most of the time, I actually find myself listening with my Cayin RU7 dongle instead of the internal DAC.
I only use the R6 III for 3 to 4 hours a day tops at work so the battery shouldn't be an issue.
Would anyone who has heard both speak to whether or not the sonic differences would justify the "upgrade"?
Thanks!
I'm very interested in this comparison too, since I have (and love) the RU7 :beerchug:

Jul 30, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #754 of 1,943
R6 Pro II is en route!
The reviews I could find comparing the R6 III and the R6P2 seemed to indicate that sound quality upgrades were decent and noticeable.
Anyways, I am stoked as I have really liked the R6 III overall.
Will probably end up selling it though, as I can't justify keeping both.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #755 of 1,943
I’ve got both R6 III and Pro II, and the III, is very good, but I definitely prefer the Pro II. I find it much easier to listen to for long periods, and when listening seriously. I find the III a little fatiguing in comparison.

Jul 31, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #756 of 1,943
R6 Pro II is en route!
The reviews I could find comparing the R6 III and the R6P2 seemed to indicate that sound quality upgrades were decent and noticeable.
Anyways, I am stoked as I have really liked the R6 III overall.
Will probably end up selling it though, as I can't justify keeping both.
Please share your thoughts and do a comparison once it’s arrives. I have the R6 gen 3 myself and was wondering if buying the more expensive pro 2 was worth it, before I pulled the trigger.

I think the purple pro 2 looks awesome. My only concern was, if the additional length/height/size of the pro 2 would’ve made it difficult to carry around in my pocket.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #758 of 1,943
How does the Hiby stack up against the DX320 in terms of sound?

Will only be using it at home for evening or late night listening to not disturb neighbours, otherwise I wouldn’t consider the Hiby as the battery life is woeful. I have the R5 Gen 2 but the 3.5mm jack is already not working properly, which is poor. That has a good battery but old and slow OS so the user experience isn’t nice. I know the Hiby OS doesn’t do gapless, nor does Sony (have the A55), but I’ll be mostly using UAPP anyway for its gapless and better UI.
I’ve got an R6 Pro II and it does do gapless from SD card using Hiby OS, as well as when using the native Qobuz and Tidal apps. The version of Tidal built into the Hiby OS isn’t gapless, unfortunately.

Jul 31, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #759 of 1,943
I’ve got an R6 Pro II and it does do gapless from SD card using Hiby OS, as well as when using the native Qobuz and Tidal apps. The version of Tidal built into the Hiby OS isn’t gapless, unfortunately.
After some investigation I think I have found out why Hiby OS isn't doing gapless playback for me. It was because of the format for my rips. I use a Mac so my rips are mostly in AIFF not FLAC. Hiby OS struggles with AIFF. I just tried it with some AIFFs I converted to Flac and it now does gapless. Thanks. Your message prompted me to do more investigation. I was confused as to why other folks never seemed to have the same issue. UAPP will do gapless, irrespective of format and I do prefer its UI over the Hiby Music App. My Sony DAP had the the same issue as the hiby one not doing gapless.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #760 of 1,943
Question for my US-based folks here. I am probably going to sell my R6 III after the R6 Pro II arrives.
Might seem like a dumb question, but: How would I go about shipping it?
When I send packages via USPS via Priority, they ask if I am shipping batteries [which is obviously in a DAP].
How do people ship phones, DAPs etc. that have internal batteries?
Special prices/protocol required?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #761 of 1,943
Well, the R6 Pro II arrived today and I am putting it through it's paces.
Pretty impressed so far.
I will do more A/B testing, but so far it seems to a decent upgrade over the R6 III [which I loved].
One bummer, the carrying case that I had bought to the R6 III doesn't quite fit the R6 Pro II.
Oh well. Back to the tunes!

Aug 2, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #762 of 1,943
I’m another who has both an RIII and and an R2 Pro II, so I’m looking forward to reading your thoughts @cobrabucket.

Aug 3, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #763 of 1,943
The R6 Pro II is a rather sizable improvement over the R6 III sonically, IMO.
More detailed impressions soon

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #764 of 1,943
After a month of using the R6 Pro II, I just wanted to say that this is a masterpiece !
The tuning is so perfect across the frequency range, nothing to point out that is too low or too high, no matter if I'm listening with my reference open back headphones or a Sony Z1R closed back or a VE EXT or an EE Odyssey. Everything sounds just the way it should !
It definitely beats all the gear I have, including the Dx320 (stock AMP), Zx707 and many other portable DAC/AMPs.

You know that happy feeling you get when you listen to your favorite music that you feel like going out and dancing ?
That's how I feel every time I listen to music with the R6 Pro II. I doubt any DAP even twice it's price range can beat it.

Now coming to things I would like improved/changed (again my personal preference). @Joe Bloggs
1. The physical buttons. In future, at least add an etched dot (.) to some of the buttons like play/pause or volume + like Sony does to make it easier to find the buttons.
Also it's too sensitive. The stock case is beautiful, but functionally quite useless since it makes the buttons worse.
2. Software volume control - Who on earth decided to make it a full screen rainbow ? A nice compact volume indicator would be nice. Again, an example is the one on the Zx707
3. Audio ports at the top please ? While chilling on the couch or bed and holding the DAP in hand, it's not so convenient to have the cable running from the bottom.
Inverting the screen and using the DAP is easier said than done, especially with a design like the R6P2.

That's it. I'm pretty much happy with everything else the DAP offers, totally worth it's price and more !

Aug 4, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #765 of 1,943
Thanks!
Pulled a section from my review that quickly covers the difference between the two.

"Both the R6 III and R6 P2 go for different sound signatures and both have their positives and negatives. I Find the R6 III sounds bright-neutral and the R6 P2 has a more neutral overall sound signature. The biggest things will be the DAC implementations on both DAPs. The R6 III has an older ESS flagship DAC and is a more power efficient DAP so it has better battery life and less heat issues when used in a pocket scenario. The R6 P2 goes for a newer AKM flagship and they focused on sound performance so it's a less efficient overall package and it has less battery life and produces more heat than the R6 III. So Which do I prefer? As a seasoned DAP user, I like the R6 P2 quite a bit. For new DAP owners, I would still recommend the R6 III though. Mostly due to its efficiency which results in a battery life and less heat produced. I believe it’s an awesome price and will make for a better first time experience. For the seasoned DAP owners or those who are ready for less battery and more heat, I would say the R6 P2 is a real winner and worth a look."
_DSC8070.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back