Hiby R6 Pro II (2023 Edition) - Launch, Hype, Thoughts & More
Apr 16, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #1,801 of 1,921
I power mine on, then plug it into the charger, and have no problems. It stops charging when it reaches the limit, 80% in my case.
Later today I’ll try plugging it into the charger, then power up the R6, and see what happens. Will report back.

The two albums I have in DSD play perfectly (in native DSD) using the Hiby app. I don’t use UAPP.

Apr 16, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #1,802 of 1,921
I do not understand why the Max Battery setting does not seem to work on my device.

Here is what happened this morning:
The DAP was left with 0% battery from last night.
This morning, I plugged it into the charger. After reaching around 20% I powered it ON. After a little while, when it had reached 30%, I unplugged it, I restarted the device and I plugged it back into the charger.

I've left it charging and right now it is at 87%, while Max Battery setting was set to 85% all the this time, since yesterday!

All I am doing is setting the Max Battery slider to 85.
Why does it not work? Why does it not remember the setting?
Is there something else I should do to set this limit?

I understand that the Max Batter level is not respected when the device is powered OFF and left charging.
It seems, though, that this setting is not kept/remembered/respected, even when you start charging and power ON at some point before reaching the limit.
It also seems that it is not respected even when you unplug and reboot.

@Joe Bloggs ?
It is a bad idea to leave a Lithium battery to run to 0. Same as letting it charge to 100 always. Try to keep it between 40 and 80/90 depending on the usage if you want longer battery life.

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #1,803 of 1,921
I also have mine set to 85% max but I've experienced it charging to 87% once, and 86% twice. It's just those three instances though.

I always charge mine when it gets to 25-26%.

I power mine on, then plug it into the charger, and have no problems. It stops charging when it reaches the limit, 80% in my case.
Later today I’ll try plugging it into the charger, then power up the R6, and see what happens. Will report back.

Thank you for your replies! :)

I will make another test today. Right now the device is charged at 100% and I unplugged. Then I went and set the level to 85 and restarted. Went back to check that 85 is still set, it is. Now it is playing. When it will reach 10% I will plug it in and check it if will respect the 85 this time.

It is a bad idea to leave a Lithium battery to run to 0. Same as letting it charge to 100 always. Try to keep it between 40 and 80/90 depending on the usage if you want longer battery life.
Yes, I am aware of this. It is the second time or maybe the third that I have done this just to "calibrate" the battery. Does your device remember the Max Battery setting?
And have you ever started charging while powered OFF and then power ON before reaching your set limit? Has it respected that limit?

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #1,804 of 1,921
I do not understand why the Max Battery setting does not seem to work on my device.

Here is what happened this morning:
The DAP was left with 0% battery from last night.
This morning, I plugged it into the charger. After reaching around 20% I powered it ON. After a little while, when it had reached 30%, I unplugged it, I restarted the device and I plugged it back into the charger.

I've left it charging and right now it is at 87%, while Max Battery setting was set to 85% all the this time, since yesterday!

All I am doing is setting the Max Battery slider to 85.
Why does it not work? Why does it not remember the setting?
Is there something else I should do to set this limit?

I understand that the Max Batter level is not respected when the device is powered OFF and left charging.
It seems, though, that this setting is not kept/remembered/respected, even when you start charging and power ON at some point before reaching the limit.
It also seems that it is not respected even when you unplug and reboot.

@Joe Bloggs ?
Had it stopped charging at 87% or was it continuing to charge?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 16, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #1,805 of 1,921
I see, so in the Hiby's DSD settings you are in the Native setting ? On mine it sounds fine on the PCM setting however sounds terrible on the two other settings. It sounds as if it has no EQ whatsoever, tried turning the EQ, and other settings off but no difference. By the way these DSD are files that are on the Hiby itself not streaming.
Direct DSD playback is incompatible with EQ by its very nature.

If you are using EQ all other times, yes the sound will be quite different when you play DSD direct.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 16, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #1,806 of 1,921
Had it stopped charging at 87% or was it continuing to charge?
It continued to charge.

Now I am testing this again in the way I've described in my previous post:

The device was fully charged at 100%. I unplugged it. Then I went and set the level to 85 and restarted it. I went back to check that 85 is still set, it is. Now it is playing. When it will reach 10% I will plug it in and check it if will respect the 85 this time.

I would also appreciate it a lot, @Joe Bloggs if you would reply to my previous post:
Is there an ETA for the new firmware which will, eventually, fix the already reported Digital Filters' issue, together with the other one re: HiBy Music I've reported, and can we hope for a bigger icon for the battery charging progress [bar] while the device is powered off?

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #1,807 of 1,921
Direct DSD playback is incompatible with EQ by its very nature.

If you are using EQ all other times, yes the sound will be quite different when you play DSD direct.
I can hear it is very different, to me it sounds that everything is very flat, for my taste it is lacking in bass and treble big time, is this how DSD is supposed to sound ?

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #1,808 of 1,921
I can hear it is very different, to me it sounds that everything is very flat, for my taste it is lacking in bass and treble big time, is this how DSD is supposed to sound ?
Could be the source files. There are a lot of "DSD" files floating around that are actually just converted MP3s. Although to be quite honest, I don't think I'd be able to distinguish a DSD file from a 24-bit/48kHz FLAC file in a blind listening test nowadays.

The masters are quite important. I used to hoard CDs, spending way too much time encoding to 320kbps MP3s, then 16-bit/44.1kHz FLAC files when I got bitten by this "audiophile" bug. There have been times when lossless 16-bit/44.1kHz ALAC files from Apple Music sounded just a bit better than my own FLACs probably because those albums were encoded from better masters.

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #1,809 of 1,921
Could be the source files. There are a lot of "DSD" files floating around that are actually just converted MP3s. Although to be quite honest, I don't think I'd be able to distinguish a DSD file from a 24-bit/48kHz FLAC file in a blind listening test nowadays.

The masters are quite important. I used to hoard CDs, spending way too much time encoding to 320kbps MP3s, then 16-bit/44.1kHz FLAC files when I got bitten by this "audiophile" bug. There have been times when lossless 16-bit/44.1kHz ALAC files from Apple Music sounded just a bit better than my own FLACs probably because those albums were encoded from better masters.

Indeed, I have the high-res lossless PCM version of Jazz at the Pawnshop in Apple Music and separately I purchased DSD versions of all four Jazz at the Pawnshop albums from NativeDSD and listened to them back and forth and found that the variation between the two is extremely subtle and likely best attributed to difference in DAC performance between the two formats. One should be able to (fairly) confidently assume that both formats are properly mastered in such a scenario.

-Ed

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #1,810 of 1,921

I see what you are saying however they sound so bad even a normal 128 mp3 sounds better, the sound is all midrange, so this makes me think I have a setting somewhere which is incorrect. I only tried them out of curiosity, most probably considering their size I would not use them as they take so much space.

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #1,811 of 1,921
From what you guys are saying the difference is subtle, on mine the difference is huge in a bad way, that is why I am a bit confused and convinced something is not right.
Might try a different DSD from elsewhere.

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #1,812 of 1,921
I would also appreciate it a lot, @Joe Bloggs if you would reply to my previous post:
Is there an ETA for the new firmware which will, eventually, fix the already reported Digital Filters' issue, together with the other one re: HiBy Music I've reported, and can we hope for a bigger icon for the battery charging progress [bar] while the device is powered off?
@JoeBloggs
I would like to add the question when the R6PII will finally become Roon ready and able to play Hi-Res files > 24-48 bit perfect via Roon. This is meanwhile quite overdue...

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #1,813 of 1,921
Thank you for your replies! :)

I will make another test today. Right now the device is charged at 100% and I unplugged. Then I went and set the level to 85 and restarted. Went back to check that 85 is still set, it is. Now it is playing. When it will reach 10% I will plug it in and check it if will respect the 85 this time.

Yes, I am aware of this. It is the second time or maybe the third that I have done this just to "calibrate" the battery. Does your device remember the Max Battery setting?
And have you ever started charging while powered OFF and then power ON before reaching your set limit? Has it respected that limit?
The battery saving feature has always been a bit wonky. I think it worked fine in the original firmware and it was broken in an update. Then fixed later and so on. I haven’t used my R6P2 recently since I’m trying out some new stuff so I can’t remember whether this works in the latest update.

Also, you just bought your device like a month ago right ? You don’t have to “calibrate” your battery so soon.

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #1,814 of 1,921
I see what you are saying however they sound so bad even a normal 128 mp3 sounds better, the sound is all midrange, so this makes me think I have a setting somewhere which is incorrect. I only tried them out of curiosity, most probably considering their size I would not use them as they take so much space.
You're right about the file sizes, they're just too big.

Have you tried playing them using another app?

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:21 AM Post #1,815 of 1,921
The battery saving feature has always been a bit wonky. I think it worked fine in the original firmware and it was broken in an update. Then fixed later and so on. I haven’t used my R6P2 recently since I’m trying out some new stuff so I can’t remember whether this works in the latest update.

Also, you just bought your device like a month ago right ? You don’t have to “calibrate” your battery so soon.

Aha! I see! I didn't know that! I was not aware that the Max Battery setting is not functioning perfectly...

Before purchasing this device, I've read this entire thread from the beginning. I do not recall anyone mentioning a bug with this setting. Anyways, I have already set it to 85 and I will leave it there, I will just keep in mind that it's buggy, so I will keep an eye to unplug when the limit is reached.

@Joe Bloggs can your Engineers have a look and test this? Why does this setting not work when you start charging while it is powered OFF but you power it ON after a little while?

I have received this device on Friday 12 Apr 2024.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Etx1
Back