HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Jul 17, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #4,021 of 6,622
For disclosure, i do not own any Hiby products. I considered backing both the r6 and the r3 when they were crowd-funded. I didnt, mainly because i had already backed another product, the Seuin PRO-X (a disaster of a mess from the start, that most of the thousands of backers are still waiting to get a dime back from). I really like both the r6 and r3, and i have read every review that i can find, scoured both threads of both products, and still want to consider putting my money toward one of them.
But frankly, this warranty disturbs me even further than some user comments about issues. The company has obviously paid a decent lawyer to write it up, in the best legalese, to protect its own interests greatly, at the expense of the consumer.
It may mean nothing, if the company does indeed try to communicate with, help, and fix issues. But the intent indicates that you dont really have to do much of anything. (No. 15? Wow!)

I still like your products (from a distance). But i havent put my hard-earned money toward them yet, and will certainly wait longer to see if i should. At least the r6 sold on Amazon may have a return window through their own business model. Will the r3 be sold on Amazon as well?

a "Non-Warranty"?

If you are happy with the Music Player apps that you use on the LG V20, and since you already have it, you might look into just using a small stackable HP Amp or DAC/AMP such as this RHA L1 https://audio46.com/shop/rha-dacamp-l1-portable-headphone-amplifier-and-dac/

It should drive your AKG N5005 uIEMs quite well and you could also use it as a desktop USB DAC + Preamp. The Output Impedance will better match your N5005's compared to the R6 as well. I haven't heard it or tried it yet, but it looks like a versatile little unit and I doubt it would be much bulkier or heavier than the Stainless Steel R6 I had.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #4,022 of 6,622
For disclosure, i do not own any Hiby products. I considered backing both the r6 and the r3 when they were crowd-funded. I didnt, mainly because i had already backed another product, the Seuin PRO-X (a disaster of a mess from the start, that most of the thousands of backers are still waiting to get a dime back from). I really like both the r6 and r3, and i have read every review that i can find, scoured both threads of both products, and still want to consider putting my money toward one of them.
But frankly, this warranty disturbs me even further than some user comments about issues. The company has obviously paid a decent lawyer to write it up, in the best legalese, to protect its own interests greatly, at the expense of the consumer.
It may mean nothing, if the company does indeed try to communicate with, help, and fix issues. But the intent indicates that you dont really have to do much of anything. (No. 15? Wow!)
I still like your products (from a distance). But i havent put my hard-earned money toward them yet, and will certainly wait longer to see if i should. At least the r6 sold on Amazon may have a return window through their own business model. Will the r3 be sold on Amazon as well?[/QUOTE

I'm sorry, but it reads like a standard warranty to me. I don't see any attempt to skirt the repair process. They are all filled with "legalease" and statutes. I'm not sure why anyone who's ever read through the details of a warranty would have a concern with this one. The warranties on high end TV's are way more detailed.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #4,023 of 6,622
Joe,

Do you know if Roon will work on the R6?

I opened a support thread with Roon two days ago. Their Android app installs just fine and you can browse the library no problem.

However, any time you pause or change a track the Roon Bridge application crashes in the background and the R6 zone disappears.

Jul 17, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #4,024 of 6,622
Joe,

Do you know if Roon will work on the R6?
I got the trial subscription for this but don't really know what I'm doing :sweat_smile: In the process of trying things out the R6 managed play some songs but both the R6 side and the computer side crashed a few times. I don't know if that means it doesn't work on the R6 or that I'm just all thumbs :sweat_smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 17, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #4,025 of 6,622
I opened a support thread with Roon two days ago. Their Android app installs just fine and you can browse the library no problem.

However, any time you pause or change a track the Roon Bridge application crashes in the background and the R6 zone disappears.
Ooh, my experience was a little different. I could play through standard rate tracks no problem but there was this one track everything kept crashing on. It was a 5.1 96kHz FLAC though...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 17, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #4,026 of 6,622
I'm sorry, but it reads like a standard warranty to me. I don't see any attempt to skirt the repair process. They are all filled with "legalease" and statutes. I'm not sure why anyone who's ever read through the details of a warranty would have a concern with this one. The warranties on high end TV's are way more detailed.
What?
Seems like computer program language rather than a simple warranty.

Check out this warranty language (on a product page):
http://www.schiit.com/products/ragnarok
"5-Year Warranty
Ragnarok is covered by a limited warranty that covers parts and labor for five years. That’s 5 years. Yes. FIVE. Which is up to 5X that of our competition, if you weren’t so hot at math. Note the marketing weasel-wording “up to.”

15-Day Satisfaction Guarantee
Try Ragnarok in your own house for 15 days. If you don’t like it, simply send it back for a refund, minus a 5% transaction fee. Try spending 15 days in an audio store. They’ll kick you out. Unless you buy them donuts. Maybe."

...and (more generally)...

http://www.schiit.com/about/faq/warranty

"Did you say you have a 5-year warranty?
Up to 5 years, yes. The specific warranty length is noted on each product page, and complete terms are available in the downloadable manuals.

Who pays shipping if I need warranty service?
You pay shipping to us, and we pay shipping back, unless no fault is found. In that case you pay shipping both ways.

Wait a sec, what if I get something that's bad out of the box? You mean I have to ship it back?
If you have a problem within 15 days of receiving the product, let us know and we'll do everything we can to swap it out for you quickly, at no cost to you. However, please note that for trans-shipped products, this will only cover shipping to the trans-shipper.

What if I’ve extensively modified my product, and/or used it as a wine carafe—is it still covered under warranty?
In short, no. We hope you understand. We also hope you understand that "No User-Serviceable Parts Inside" means "opening this product voids the warranty."

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #4,027 of 6,622
Sorry to disappoint you, I wrote all that up and I'm no lawyer :sweat_smile:

Since warranty terms are defined by the company in the first place, it is simply practical for the company to also hold the right of interpretation and modification. If we didn't, I would probably have been told to write a more restrictive set of warranty terms that's also 3 times longer to cover every eventuality. As it is, I guess your reaction is indication that I've gone overboard and could have written a much simpler set of terms, since we do hold the right of interpretation and modification :sweat_smile:

If anything, this clause also exists because of our lack of confidence in our non-lawyers' legal chops--it's there to cover for any possible mistakes in the term drafting that could lead to grave consequences for the company.
Really impressed with your drafting acumen.

Jul 17, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #4,028 of 6,622
Are we being satirical here? :sweat_smile:

The warranty in simple terms is 15 days for-new replacement warranty (from the day it arrives at your door), 3 months' warranty for the battery and 1 year warranty for the device excluding the battery and accessories. Usual exclusions for "negligence, accident, unreasonable use, coffee, etc." (as Schiit puts in in their manual, not their website) applies. Owner pays for shipping to us (which these days e.g. means a local US address in the case of a US customer) and we pay for return shipping. Repaired item gets an extra 3 months' warranty whether or not it was covered by warranty in the first place. It's also worth noting that almost all of our "repair warranties" have been covered by for-new replacements in practice so far.

Jul 17, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #4,029 of 6,622
IMG_20180714_173924_125.jpg

Chill guys, I am one of the satisfied consumers (most of them may not post ... i think :darthsmile:)

Everything is working great on this R6, apart of weak WIFI transmission on Tidal streaming... Spotify streaming is working flawlessly. I tends to download Tidal and listen offline.

Cheers with cup of hot coffee :D

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #4,030 of 6,622
Jul 17, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #4,031 of 6,622
Anyone care to comment on the Amazon reviews that suggest that user “...could not manage to use any of EQ with Spotify”? Kinda a deal breaker for me...EQ is critical and I use predominantly Spotify.

Jul 18, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #4,034 of 6,622
Mee Audio P2 and Hiby R6 :)

Can you please give impressions of the pairing with P2? I own the p2, but found them very treble-harsh and sibilant vs P1. Do you have P1? Can you give impressions of pairing p1 with r6, as p1 is certainly needs more power to drive well vs p2.
P1 is still my most used iem (mostly as ive found it the most comfortable in my ears).

Mee-Audio-P2-Pinnacle-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-22.jpg

Jul 18, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #4,035 of 6,622
a "Non-Warranty"?

If you are happy with the Music Player apps that you use on the LG V20, and since you already have it, you might look into just using a small stackable HP Amp or DAC/AMP such as this RHA L1 https://audio46.com/shop/rha-dacamp-l1-portable-headphone-amplifier-and-dac/

It should drive your AKG N5005 uIEMs quite well and you could also use it as a desktop USB DAC + Preamp. The Output Impedance will better match your N5005's compared to the R6 as well. I haven't heard it or tried it yet, but it looks like a versatile little unit and I doubt it would be much bulkier or heavier than the Stainless Steel R6 I had.
Thanks again. Ive actally looked at that RHA and really like it, but ive used a few portable amps and just tired of interconnects and the such. Still really hoping for an all-perfect portable player with great amp, hires Bluetooth, can handle large collection. :wink:
Im generally either listening onthego where i cant take a lot of stuff with me, or at home where its usually with speakers. We have a sound-treated bedroom devoted to listening with (my own designed and built) tower monitor speakers, rack-mounted studio/recording equipment.
So my listening is kind of all-the-way or as good-as-i-can-get fast portable, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back