HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Jul 15, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #3,992 of 6,628
I only
If at all possible, I try to buy all of my memory cards from B&H Photo Video or Adorama. They often have good sales on memory cards and they make sure to source legit cards directly from the major manufacturers.

Even if they are slightly more expensive, it is worth it for my peace of mind and also to have purchased directly from an authorized seller for warranty support.

FSTOP, I have just sold my second HiBy R6 due to very poor WiFi performance. I specifically had crowdfunded my first unit from the Indiegogo Campaign for the promised DTA architechture, and DTA while STREAMING. But if it can't keep a consistent connection to WiFi, it's almost worthless to me.

Otherwise, the R6 is one of the best DAPs I've owned, even though it still has some deficiencies software wise (read through the thread). However, it does seem that HiBy is active in producing firmware updates, and most of the issues can be remedied with bug fixes & updates.

My other main niggle is with the fact that there are no Warranty Terms that have been officially stated anywhere. :frowning2: And Joe Bloggs (Joseph Yeung @ HiBy) has not responded to anyone's questions here regarding this, though he has the time to reply to many other questions. :-/

That just doesn't sit well with me, especially if I am going to spend $500+ on a device and there's no guarantee of support if there is an issue. And MANY here have had issues with the WiFi and/or Tidal HiFi streaming, and also a few screen issues, etc.

I already have both the iBasso DX90 & DX200 and am very happy with them. No, they aren't perfect, but they sound great and work well enough for my needs.

I was just wanting a DAP with a really high-quality touchscreen display, which also has a fast & responsive GUI like that of a modern Smartphone, and the HiBy does that part very well. Unfortunately, I couldn't live with its other issues.

If they fix the WiFi connection issues (hardware) and make the changes to the HiBy Music Player app that users here have requested, I might revisit the R6. It's a beautiful piece of kit.

If you already have the LG V20, and are happy with its performance and the Music Playing apps that you can use with it, I would probably just look to invest in a really good, stack-able/portable HP amp, or maybe a DAC/Amp to pair with the V20.
use WiFi for Spotify and have never had s problem. It is interesting to me what a broad range of experiences people are having with this device

Jul 15, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #3,993 of 6,628
@Joe Bloggs re:R6

We really need “Album Artist” added to the sort categories.

Right now we have Artist, Album, Title, Genre, Folder, and Private (whatever that is). “Album Artist” is a really important tag field if you have any Albums that have multiple artist’s featured on the album. Right now I have to duplicate my music library and then re-tag everything to swap the “Artist” and “Album Artist” tags in order to keep the sort list in Hiby from looking like a disaster. Thank god for Tag&Rename’s “swap fields” function!

Also, PLEASE make Album view the default view after you select an Artist. Right now it defaults to all tracks by that artist sorted alphabetically. Seriously, that’s nuts!

Lastly, the Hiby R6 is freakin’ AWESOME! Just a few more tweaks and it will be PERFECT.
Since Hiby makes software one would think you didn't need to tell them this.

Mike

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #3,994 of 6,628
Since Hiby makes software one would think you didn't need to tell them this.

Mike
You would think this. I have made the request via email for Album Artist for Hiby app two years ago when first using the Android app on other DAPs. And there's requests for it within the reviews on Play Store. Not sure why it is being ignored.

@Joe Bloggs really needs to get this implemented.

Jul 15, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #3,995 of 6,628
(I) use WiFi for Spotify and have never had a problem. It is interesting to me what a broad range of experiences people are having with this device.

True. For me the R6 would not keep a consistent connection to WiFi, when ALL of my other devices in the household had absolutely no problem and had very good signal strength throughout the house. It wouldn't even keep a good connection to my smartphone hotspot in the same room.

My main desire was to Stream with Tidal HiFi, and there were problems of constant buffering when initiating playback with the Tidal app when used on the R6 that Joe Bloggs admitted but they couldn't figure out.

Note that HiBy switched to a completely different build house or production facility after the first batch was produced, so that may have something to do with the inconsistencies. IDK.

Needless to say, it is frustrating when nearly everything else about the R6 is absolutely stellar, minus a few software oddities.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #3,998 of 6,628
I'm not really that interested in streaming, but if this was marketed as one of its biggest features, it would surely be frustrating for me too. And maybe it shouldn't cost what it does if only some of its key selling points actually work. Still trying to decide what to do myself. If the SQ was significantly better than my v20, and everything worked well, think i wouldn't hesitate. Maybe i should just wait for another model?

Jul 16, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #3,999 of 6,628
@Joe Bloggs re:R6

We really need “Album Artist” added to the sort categories.

Right now we have Artist, Album, Title, Genre, Folder, and Private (whatever that is). “Album Artist” is a really important tag field if you have any Albums that have multiple artist’s featured on the album. Right now I have to duplicate my music library and then re-tag everything to swap the “Artist” and “Album Artist” tags in order to keep the sort list in Hiby from looking like a disaster. Thank god for Tag&Rename’s “swap fields” function!

Also, PLEASE make Album view the default view after you select an Artist. Right now it defaults to all tracks by that artist sorted alphabetically. Seriously, that’s nuts!

Lastly, the Hiby R6 is freakin’ AWESOME! Just a few more tweaks and it will be PERFECT.

EDIT:
Don't forget... only use the "Album Artist” tag to sort and group in the artists section. The artist(s) name when playing or at the track / "track info" should still come from the “Artist” tag.

Noted... the whole database system is due for a complete overhaul but perhaps we can squeeze this in first

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 16, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #4,000 of 6,628
In response to another question, here is an online copy of our warranty terms: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AtuiwfIBRYFEgblSkHRgmrmyAuiMWA
It is included in current copies of the user guide shipped with the R6 and R3.

And regarding the WiFi performance, again, users are encouraged to contact us for any problem regarding that and repair / replace the unit if necessary. With local distributors now appearing in more regions the repair / replacement process, if necessary, is easier than ever :)

--Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 16, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #4,001 of 6,628
May 28, 2018
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...unded-indiegogo.852042/page-232#post-14268547
"Curiously, I never read or saw ANY MENTION WHATSOEVER of the Specific or OFFICIAL WARRANTY TERMS. This includes on the original Indiegogo Campaign Page, in this thread, or on the HiBy web site's R6 product page. Hmmm?
Joseph Yeung, a.k.a. "Joe Bloggs", what Exactly are the TERMS of the INTERNATIONAL WARRANTY for the Hiby R6 units procured via the Indiegogo campaign???
Where can I find this Warranty Information???
Again, I did not see any Official posting regarding a WARRANTY of any kind on the Indiegogo campaign page or on HiBy's own R6 Product Page....
https://www.hiby.com/cpcc/index_49.aspx
If I want to sell my Brand New, Unopened/Sealed HiBy R6 DAP, is the Warranty Transferable to the new owner???
How will Warranty Support and/or Repairs/Replacement be handled for the Indiegogo backers of the R6?
TIA!
bbfoto
EDIT: Can anyone here who has an Indiegogo/International R6 DAP please post a Clear Photo of the Warranty Card that is included inside the box for the R6?"

In response to another question, here is an online copy of our warranty terms: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AtuiwfIBRYFEgblSkHRgmrmyAuiMWA
It is included in current copies of the user guide shipped with the R6 and R3.

And regarding the WiFi performance, again, users are encouraged to contact us for any problem regarding that and repair / replace the unit if necessary. With local distributors now appearing in more regions the repair / replacement process, if necessary, is easier than ever :)

--Joe
My eyes kind of glazed over reading "clause" so much.
Is the warranty transferable?

Mike

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #4,002 of 6,628
Nevermind

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #4,005 of 6,628
Anyone is using Apple Music without problems on R6? I can't get it to play any song, downloaded or not.
Probably you are using Apple Music current version 2.5 - it is not supporting by R6. Try the previous version 2.4.3. I had the same problem with my R6, but now is ok with v. 2.4.3. Do not forget to switch of auto update for Apple Music app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back