HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Jul 18, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #4,036 of 6,628
Hi All,

I have a question regarding IEM compatibility with a Hiby R6 DAP. I have recently upgraded my Pioneer XDP-300R for the new Hiby unit. Currently my IEMs are Westone UM PRO 50 - using an ALO Reference 8 cable in balanced mode. While I've loved using these, I'm thinking about an upgrade. Ideally, whatever IEMs I decide to go with would fulfill the following;

• Be a noticeable upgrade on what I already own.
  • Play well with the Hiby R6, using a balanced connection.
  • Also work well with my ALO Reference 8 cable, using MMCX connectors.

With that in mind, I have a few models in mind and wanted to know if anyone else had experience of similar combinations, or even an opinion on which direction might be most suitable. The models I'm considering vary in cost by quite a considerable margin, but ultimately over and above compatibility with the DAP and Ref 8 cable, I'm looking for the best bang-for-buck performers - so if the performance justifies the cost, then maybe I'll have to save a bit longer! I feel the UM PRO 50s fell into this category when I purchased them; as I felt they were a more engaging listen than say a Westone W60 - costing around $350 more, which I was originally considering at the time. I also fully appreciate that the output impedance of the Hiby R6 could limit my options, but am not against using an iEmatch if the combination could be stellar. Btw, I am also more than happy to consider alternate suggestions to the options listed below. My list isn't set in stone by any means. I listen all to most genres of music, and have also enjoyed listening to the Hiby through my 'home' cans - Grado PS500e. My shortlist so far is;

• Campfire Andromeda
  • Campfire Vega
  • 64Audio A6t
  • 64Audio U12t

Many thanks in advance for any opinions shared.

Dan

Jul 18, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #4,037 of 6,628
Ooh, my experience was a little different. I could play through standard rate tracks no problem but there was this one track everything kept crashing on. It was a 5.1 96kHz FLAC though...

Thanks @mattkuehn & @Joe Bloggs for testing this for me. This is really the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on this buy.

Jul 18, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #4,038 of 6,628
Hi All,

I have a question regarding IEM compatibility with a Hiby R6 DAP. I have recently upgraded my Pioneer XDP-300R for the new Hiby unit. Currently my IEMs are Westone UM PRO 50 - using an ALO Reference 8 cable in balanced mode. While I've loved using these, I'm thinking about an upgrade. Ideally, whatever IEMs I decide to go with would fulfill the following;

• Be a noticeable upgrade on what I already own.
  • Play well with the Hiby R6, using a balanced connection.
  • Also work well with my ALO Reference 8 cable, using MMCX connectors.

With that in mind, I have a few models in mind and wanted to know if anyone else had experience of similar combinations, or even an opinion on which direction might be most suitable. The models I'm considering vary in cost by quite a considerable margin, but ultimately over and above compatibility with the DAP and Ref 8 cable, I'm looking for the best bang-for-buck performers - so if the performance justifies the cost, then maybe I'll have to save a bit longer! I feel the UM PRO 50s fell into this category when I purchased them; as I felt they were a more engaging listen than say a Westone W60 - costing around $350 more, which I was originally considering at the time. I also fully appreciate that the output impedance of the Hiby R6 could limit my options, but am not against using an iEmatch if the combination could be stellar. Btw, I am also more than happy to consider alternate suggestions to the options listed below. My list isn't set in stone by any means. I listen all to most genres of music, and have also enjoyed listening to the Hiby through my 'home' cans - Grado PS500e. My shortlist so far is;

• Campfire Andromeda
  • Campfire Vega
  • 64Audio A6t
  • 64Audio U12t

Many thanks in advance for any opinions shared.

Dan

I am using Ambient Accoustics LAM7U with R6 and there is no any noticeable differences in sound with or without iEmatch.

Jul 18, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #4,039 of 6,628
Anyone care to comment on the Amazon reviews that suggest that user “...could not manage to use any of EQ with Spotify”? Kinda a deal breaker for me...EQ is critical and I use predominantly Spotify.

There was some discussion about this early on in this thread but the answer is no, you cannot EQ anything other than the Hiby app.

I asked about it possibly being added in the future and the answer I got was that they will consider it. However, I don't really anticipate them really doing anything about it. I also use online streaming services but fortunately for me, I don't really need to EQ. The IEMs I have suit my needs without EQ. Before I bought the R6, I thought I had to EQ because of the output impedance but then I bought an iEMatch and that worked out well for me. If it's not for you, it's not for you.

Jul 18, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #4,040 of 6,628
There was some discussion about this early on in this thread but the answer is no, you cannot EQ anything other than the Hiby app.

I asked about it possibly being added in the future and the answer I got was that they will consider it. However, I don't really anticipate them really doing anything about it. I also use online streaming services but fortunately for me, I don't really need to EQ. The IEMs I have suit my needs without EQ. Before I bought the R6, I thought I had to EQ because of the output impedance but then I bought an iEMatch and that worked out well for me. If it's not for you, it's not for you.
Thanks for the feedback... I’d be using Atlas with the R6, they have good bass response but I’m reading the R6 has a very flat sound. I’m accustomed to using v4a on my phone with Spotify... not sure how the R6 alone would compare.

Would adding an IFI Audio Nano iDSD to the rig help any?

Jul 18, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #4,043 of 6,628

You can always use EQ with R6 to tone down the treble a little. By default, it isn't the most harsh combo out there, but if you generally find P2 harsh, I'd probably suggest just using EQ to tone down the part of treble that doesn't sound good for you, or sell P2 and get something smoother, like say, for a similar price, Astrotec AM850 :)

Jul 18, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #4,044 of 6,628
3 of 4 of the Amazon reviews use the term flat... think 1 of the 3 used neutral.
I see. I thought that by “flat” they mean sound with no depth. Like from smartphone.
If flat meaning that the sound doesn’t have sharpness I can agree with that because the highs are recessed and I hear less details than from ibasso dx150. Also r6 has a bit narrower soundstage. It is really no neutral dap. The sound is a bit dark and comfortable.

My iems are rhapsodio solar

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #4,045 of 6,628
I see. I thought that by “flat” they mean sound with no depth. Like from smartphone.
If flat meaning that the sound doesn’t have sharpness I can agree with that because the highs are recessed and I hear less details than from ibasso dx150. Also r6 has a bit narrower soundstage. It is really no neutral dap. The sound is a bit dark and comfortable.

My iems are rhapsodio solar
Thanks for the feedback man... I'm guessing my best bet is to see if B&H or somewhere such in nyc has it available for me to take a listen. That's a lot of money to buy blindly.

Jul 18, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #4,046 of 6,628
Thanks for the feedback... I’d be using Atlas with the R6, they have good bass response but I’m reading the R6 has a very flat sound. I’m accustomed to using v4a on my phone with Spotify... not sure how the R6 alone would compare.

Would adding an IFI Audio Nano iDSD to the rig help any?

Trinity Atlas or Campfire Atlas?

I haven't listened to the Nano iDSD but I have tried the Micro iDSD Black Label against the R6. The iDSD sounded warmer and thicker in the bass region than the R6. To my ears, one doesn't sound better than the other. Both sound great to my ears. It's just that, if you get the iDSD, you might as well just DAC out from a smartphone rather than getting the R6 unless you really really want a DAP.

You can always use EQ with R6 to tone down the treble a little. By default, it isn't the most harsh combo out there, but if you generally find P2 harsh, I'd probably suggest just using EQ to tone down the part of treble that doesn't sound good for you, or sell P2 and get something smoother, like say, for a similar price, Astrotec AM850 :)

He was asking about EQing Spotify though which currently can't be done.

Jul 18, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #4,047 of 6,628
Trinity Atlas or Campfire Atlas?

I haven't listened to the Nano iDSD but I have tried the Micro iDSD Black Label against the R6. The iDSD sounded warmer and thicker in the bass region than the R6. To my ears, one doesn't sound better than the other. Both sound great to my ears. It's just that, if you get the iDSD, you might as well just DAC out from a smartphone rather than getting the R6 unless you really really want a DAP.

He was asking about EQing Spotify though which currently can't be done.

Apologies...Campfire Audio. Yeah, I was thinking to add the idsd to the R6 as my final rig, but if I can get comparable sound from smartphone and idsd I'd happily save that $$.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #4,048 of 6,628
Apologies...Campfire Audio. Yeah, I was thinking to add the idsd to the R6 as my final rig, but if I can get comparable sound from smartphone and idsd I'd happily save that $$.
Your profile photo tells, need not to say sorry :D

Jul 19, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #4,049 of 6,628
Engage two technicians to overhaul R6 WIFI reception, checking 2.4 and 5 GHz respectively...

Babysnaps362.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #4,050 of 6,628

I'd be better off getting a 400gb microsd than depending on OTG memory method correct? (since idsd has to go through USB-c port of S8+ in order to amp it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back