Help me make my disision! Please help a wallet hungry hifier out!
Jun 20, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:
i think the op knows what hes getting himself into, i think his mentality now is getting an end game setup and be done because he has already experienced quite a number of 300 400ish bucks headphones before...

Thank you, that's exactly what I want to do. I have owned  a lot of sub $300 dollar headphones and a good number of $400 dollar headphones. I have owned around 15 headphones in this range, and a lot more in the under $200. Plus I've been constantly buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon. IMO I lose money doing that. I am ready to get a high end setup and be done with it. Dude you read me like a book. 

Jun 20, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:
There you go again getting defensive as usual. I didn't say you were wrong in your comment regarding "considering cheaper options". But how your comment came off as if the OP was saying your comment isn't warranted. Which is not the case. The OP just didn't want to be misconstrued as a child. Now if I am to recommend a headphone to him I'd need to know what sound signature he is after. Does he love bass, neutrality, a large sound stage, etc... I take all of this into account before jumping into a purchase myself. I do experiment though to find if there are different sound signatures to my liking. You're bound to get burned even when studying on headfi before a purchase but the information gathered can be invaluable and save you money at the same time.

I will answer your question, and sorry for being defensive that day. I was just being reminded of something that happened earlier.....
Anyways out of the headphones I owned before, I liked the grados but felt it was a little overpowered for my tastes ( I was amping it was Asgard). I enjoyed my DT880 when I had them, and I also like my Sennheiser HD595s. I like bass (less than my ultrasone) but not too much, I do listen to electric but also soft rock and smooth jazz. All my music is uncompressed, I got a good deal off craigslist a few hours ago for a used Acer laptop for $350 bucks but retails for almost $650. It has similar specs to the mac but was 1/4 the price for me :D. Always through I just want to know which headphone and amp will suit me best. I am sorry if I upset you or offended you, but you are probably right and are the most knowledgeable (after all you are a headphone supremus). 
So to sum it up sir, bass but not too much, I like soft rock, smooth jazz, j rock, a little dubstep (electric), I think I care about comfort and durability too. Amp is another question, I keep seeing on headfi that Woo Audio is like the bomb with beyerdynamics and that Burson audio is the schiit (lol) with LCD-2. 

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #33 of 39
bump

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #34 of 39
I appreciate your suggestions, I am already looking at them now.  Would you take the AH-D5000 over the Pro 900? I like bass but enjoyed my Grados and HD 595s when I had them. Honestly I am looking to upgrade and purchase a new setup, that's why my budget is high. Everyone seemed to assume I am a child since I don't own a computer, but my previous computer was old, crappy, ran XP, and had blue screens like every 4 hours. That's why I have to buy a new computer, and I have a job, good credit, hence why I got accepted for my financing. 

I haven't heard the PRO900. I would take the PRO2900 over the Denons though, based on what you've described. They'll get you both bright/aggressive sound (like a Beyer), but plenty of good bass, and good soundstaging. If they aren't too harsh for you (and you have to be the judge), they'll be fantastic. The Fiio amps are fine. Again, you do not need to spend as much money as you're married to spending - price does not correlate to quality or anything else. Especially with newer products.

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:
I haven't heard the PRO900. I would take the PRO2900 over the Denons though, based on what you've described. They'll get you both bright/aggressive sound (like a Beyer), but plenty of good bass, and good soundstaging. If they aren't too harsh for you (and you have to be the judge), they'll be fantastic. The Fiio amps are fine. Again, you do not need to spend as much money as you're married to spending - price does not correlate to quality or anything else. Especially with newer products.

I want to have a setup that will last years. If you look at my new thread, you will see that I no longer need a computer and that my budget increased to $3000 including the headphones. That leaves $2000 for the amp and DAC. I feel that this will give me a high end setup that will last a few years then I will upgrade the amp and dac. Please sir, understand that I want a nice high end setup, not some Fiio amps lol. My previous amps were better quality than fiios.

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:
I want to have a setup that will last years. If you look at my new thread, you will see that I no longer need a computer and that my budget increased to $3000 including the headphones. That leaves $2000 for the amp and DAC. I feel that this will give me a high end setup that will last a few years then I will upgrade the amp and dac. Please sir, understand that I want a nice high end setup, not some Fiio amps lol. My previous amps were better quality than fiios.

Just my $.02, but I'd spend the larger percentage of your budget on the headphones...just as with speakers, they will make the largest difference in terms of the overall sound. 

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #37 of 39
Here's a review on the T1s that came pretty close to the same sort of experience I had between the DT880s and the T1s. As I think we all agree, you'll find opinions that run the gamut, so just have to find where your own interests and preferences land. http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/beyer2/t1.html  To balance this out, one of the other very respected reviewers often cited here is Tyll Herstens. He stated to me in an email that he didn't really care for the T1 and thus decided not to officially review it. He's also the same person who sold me on the Beyerdynamic DT1350 portables, so he seems to be pretty well balanced and fair...aside for Grados, which he flat out says he is biased against lol. 

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:
+1.
And lol @ Tyll and Grados. I think the exact quote the last time I heard him talk about it was "most Grados suck."
tongue.gif

Yeah he doesn't seem very shy about expressing his view of Grados lol...I won't hold that against him, though...haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back