Help me make my disision! Please help a wallet hungry hifier out!
Jun 19, 2012 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Archerious

Previously known as vampire5003
forget it

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 39
None of the Above.  i have a set of Philips Fidelio L1 ( $299 ) and a set of T1s sitting here in front of me and I have no clue why the T1 is priced beyond $199.  Might want to look into the AKG K550 or something similar to that
<3

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 39
Quote:
None of the Above.  i have a set of Philips Fidelio L1 ( $299 ) and a set of T1s sitting here in front of me and I have no clue why the T1 is priced beyond $199.  Might want to look into the AKG K550 or something similar to that
<3

How does the Philips L1 sound compared to others in that price category?

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 39
Head Fi hates this headphone because its warm on the low end and very musical with potent bass.  Very clear and powerful, deep reaching bass.  A nice Big soundstage, check my review on the L1.  Its highly musical, so it won't be popular here.  Its not analytical, its fun to use and extremely well built.  The best build quality in that price tier that I am aware of.  Its my favorite mid fi headphone.  BUT! The Beyers are more neutral and monitorish sounding than the Philips, so it might not be what the OP wants, if he wants a Beyerish sound, the AKG K550 is closer and an overall better headphone than the DT series in my opinion.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 39
Thanks swbf2cheater for your suggestions, but their aren't any headphones in the $1000 and under range you would recommend? I keep hearing Hifiman HE-500, Denon AHD-7000 and Beyerdynamic T1. I'm very surprised you didn't like the T1's since every thread I read has people saying how good they are.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #6 of 39
My musical tastes are Electric, Dubstep, Dance Rock, Japanese Rock, Hard Rock (Aerosmith) and a little bit of Rap now and then (to me rap isn't music it's just for fun noise just like dubstep :D). 

Thanks,

Thomas Lopez

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 39
for those genres, the T1 is probably not the best choice, i would go with the L1 suggestion, then get the macbook pro and a JDS labs Objective 2/ODAC combo. much cheaper and would be a much better choice for you.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 39
I own D7000 and heard T1 at recent NYC meet with very expensive Woo Audio setup and can say only one thing T1 sound noticeably better than D7000 but i don't think that difference worth twice the price. I also heard HE-500 there with 3 different setups and prefer D7000 over HE-500 plus they are heavier than D7000 or T1

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 39
Hey how about a modded t50rp? I keep hearing how good those are, I have a stock t50rp but will have to get a cable for it to go with my e17 since it only comes with the 1/4 adapter cables

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 39
Quote:
Thanks swbf2cheater for your suggestions, but their aren't any headphones in the $1000 and under range you would recommend? I keep hearing Hifiman HE-500, Denon AHD-7000 and Beyerdynamic T1. I'm very surprised you didn't like the T1's since every thread I read has people saying how good they are.

You're going to find all sorts of opinions on nearly any headphone you mention here. There are many people who love the T1s just as there are those who don't care for it. My advice would be to avoid putting too much stock in any one viewpoint and try to listen for yourself if possible. 

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #12 of 39
Please for the love of FSM, save your (or your parents'?) money. You really don't know how to handle it at this point. Buy a really nice IEM like the Sony EX600 or Vsonic GR07 or Brainwavz B2, and use your phone as the source, and look into getting a sturdy ThinkPad as a computer. Put the other $1000+++ into savings or a Money Market.

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #13 of 39
I'll sort of echo Soundstige's point because I have found that portable, easy to drive headphones have really given me quite a lot of enjoyment lately. I picked up a pair of Beyerdynamic DT1350s a month or so ago to take back and forth to work, but I've been reaching for them quite a lot for home use, as well. I know there are at least a handful of folks on here who prefer them sonically to the DT880s, so if Soundstige's suggestion of just going with something easy to drive that can plug into your phone or portable device appeals to you, consider checking out something like these 1350s. (The 1350s sound more like a mini-T1 than they do the DT880s to my ears.) Sennheiser also has the new Amperior portables coming out that are supposed to be even better than the 1350s, and then of course you have an entire world of IEMs out there as Soundstige pointed out. I thoroughly enjoy my headamps and "home" headphones, but you can get a surprisingly high level of sound quality and flexibility out of some of the more portable offerings on the market. 

Jun 19, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:
Quote:

You're going to find all sorts of opinions on nearly any headphone you mention here. There are many people who love the T1s just as there are those who don't care for it. My advice would be to avoid putting too much stock in any one viewpoint and try to listen for yourself if possible. 

I am not a fan of Beyerdynamic, I prefer a slightly warm and musical experience.  Beyer sound is not musical to me, clarity on the T1 was not as good as the cheaper Orthos or the DX1K.  Side by side with the DT880 600ohm you can easily hear why there are so many people who think its a rip off. The best advice to offer is to find out what the general sound type of each headphone you have on your list actually has.  Is it warm, is it well rounded to most people, is it colder sounding, neutral, natural and dry? ect ect.  Ultimately, as Vampire said, trust yourself more than anyone else.  If you want it, go for it.  I highly suggest other amplifiers for the Beyers though, the Schiit amps are not exactly geared for sound staging qualities and the cheaper Asgard has a noticeably lager sound than its two brothers, which to me are made purely for Orthodynamic Headphones that do not have large soundstages.  They mesh really well with the Hifmkan and Audeze sets, not so good for anyone using larger sounding headphones.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back