Help me choose high-end DAP or high-end IEM
Sep 13, 2012 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

hellboyx5

New Head-Fier
I have 2 options for my portable setup
The first one is dap Rocoo BA with 16gb micro sd card and Shure SE215
I'll have to stick with entry level iem SE215...

The second one is dap Sansa Clip+ 8gb and IE80 or SE535
I'll have to sell my Rocoo BA to buy less expensive dap and a high-end iem

Which one should I choose? I'm so confused...
IEM or DAP, which one affects sound quality more?

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 20
They both affect sound.

My money to spend...

Buy the highest end IEM you can afford.

A high end DAP with poor IEMs sounds poor.

Jim

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 20
Hey, both the Clip and Rocoo sound great. If you haven't already, you can reprogram it? I know Rockbox is available for iPods and Cowons, but I'm not sure about the Clip because I don't focus on portable gear too much. I say stick with the Sansa and buy a new IEM and maybe a portable amp.

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:
I have 2 options for my portable setup
The first one is dap Rocoo BA with 16gb micro sd card and Shure SE215
I'll have to stick with entry level iem SE215...

The second one is dap Sansa Clip+ 8gb and IE80 or SE535
I'll have to sell my Rocoo BA to buy less expensive dap and a high-end iem

Which one should I choose? I'm so confused...
IEM or DAP, which one affects sound quality more?

I'd say upgrade your IEM first and then focus on the DAP. The IE80 would be a better choice over the SE5535 IMO. The Hisound players also pair really well with the Senns.

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 20
Upgrade your IEM's first, however I don't personally see the point in running for example a pair of SE535 with a Clip+. It's like putting a rev limiter on your sports car, there's so much potential but you're only tapping out 40%. Try and at least move up from a Clip+ if you're using higher end gear otherwise you're partly wasting your time imo.

Look at something Like Cowons cheaper C2.

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
Upgrade your IEM's first, however I don't personally see the point in running for example a pair of SE535 with a Clip+. It's like putting a rev limiter on your sports car, there's so much potential but you're only tapping out 40%. Try and at least move up from a Clip+ if you're using higher end gear otherwise you're partly wasting your time imo.
Look at something Like Cowons cheaper C2.

For the price of the C2 they could get and Rockbox a  Clip+/Clip Zip and a 64GB microsdxc card for it. More music ftw. 
L3000.gif

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 20
For the price of the C2 they could get and Rockbox a  Clip+/Clip Zip and a 64GB microsdxc card for it. More music ftw. :L3000:

For the price of a Clip+/Clip Zip and a 64GB microsdxc they could get C2 and have better sound quality! ftw! :tongue_smile:

IMO :wink:

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #9 of 20
There's Sony XBA-4 sold for 200$ in my country, I'll try to get it
Hope it pairs well with my Rocoo BA

In my opinion...

You may want to research that choice a lil more.

Jim

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #11 of 20
I can sell it again if the synergy is worse than expected...
My iem preference is a bit weird
I tried GR07, but it sounds so neutral with harsh treble and it cannot fit my larger than average ears
no one sells used IE80 and SE535 in my country... the brand new one is out of my budget

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:
I can sell it again if the synergy is worse than expected...
My iem preference is a bit weird
I tried GR07, but it sounds so neutral with harsh treble and it cannot fit my larger than average ears
no one sells used IE80 and SE535 in my country... the brand new one is out of my budget

Well that sounds good.

Good Hunting and let us know how it works out.

Jim

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #13 of 20
Just bought Sony XBA-4
The first impression is... worse than expected.... lame bass and harsh treble..
I was tempted to resell it again, but fortunately I paired it with Fiio E11 and the result is just wow!!
The bass got more full-bodied and punchier, treble is tamed enough to be tolerable and the best thing is the mid
Mid is kinda laid-back which I love it very much! It gave me the same wow factor when I tried HD650 in my local Jaben store weeks ago! Almost no sibilance at all to my sensitive ears.

Yesterday I felt so satisfied with the result, but now I kinda regretted it
Just now a fellow audiophile sells his used SE535 LE only for about 300$! I'm bangin' my head to the wall at the moment 
triportsad.gif

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #14 of 20
SE535 aren't that great anyways. Way over-hyped. IE80 is a lot better IMO :). Especially if you love silky-smooth treble, a nice mid-range, an expansive sound stage (closer to HD650) and great bass. The sound is non-fatiguing, even more so than the SE500 series. People are getting the IE80s for around $270 on sale now.

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #15 of 20
Just bought Sony XBA-4
The first impression is... worse than expected.... lame bass and harsh treble..
I was tempted to resell it again, but fortunately I paired it with Fiio E11 and the result is just wow!!
The bass got more full-bodied and punchier, treble is tamed enough to be tolerable and the best thing is the mid
Mid is kinda laid-back which I love it very much! It gave me the same wow factor when I tried HD650 in my local Jaben store weeks ago! Almost no sibilance at all to my sensitive ears.

Yesterday I felt so satisfied with the result, but now I kinda regretted it
Just now a fellow audiophile sells his used SE535 LE only for about 300$!
I'm bangin' my head to the wall at the moment :triportsad:

Welcome to Head-fi. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back