Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 28, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #1,338 of 12,284
  Neutral is fairly subjective, and based on remarks of someone whose ears I trust, the HE-560 would be fairly neutral if a tad V-shaped. I'm hoping they will fall within my tolerance for neutrality at least, or otherwise it'll give me a good grounds for comparison for auditioning other headphones.

In my experience, I would agree with that statement. I'm more of a big picture "humanities" guy rather than the typical "STEM" personalities prevalent on Headfi, but I know what I like. I've spent some time comparing the HE-560 and the LCD-2 and the LCD-2 has a lusher, fuller perhaps more warm sound thicker bass and the HE-560 is much more neutral. The bass is there and it's detailed and tight, but not as thick.  Initially I found the LCD-2 had more "wow" factor, but in the long run, I think I might go for the 560. At that price point all these big boy cans are all pretty nice. I think different flavors or shades.

May 28, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #1,339 of 12,284
  In my experience, I would agree with that statement. I'm more of a big picture "humanities" guy rather than the typical "STEM" personalities prevalent on Headfi, but I know what I like. I've spent some time comparing the HE-560 and the LCD-2 and the LCD-2 has a lusher, fuller perhaps more warm sound thicker bass and the HE-560 is much more neutral. The bass is there and it's detailed and tight, but not as thick.  Initially I found the LCD-2 had more "wow" factor, but in the long run, I think I might go for the 560. At that price point all these big boy cans are all pretty nice. I think different flavors or shades.

It's interesting that you say that, because money said in his HE1000 review (on the front page of Head-Fi) that he regarded most high-end headphones as merely different flavors, and the HE1000 was the only one that was a clear and huge improvement. (But he has yet to hear the SR-009 and Abyss.)

May 28, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #1,340 of 12,284

Yeah, so is many deathcore bands out there that aren't metal. Being metal isn't about being heavy. Same thing with jazz: it's not about improvisation otherwise Diana Krall wouldn't be there (or any more appropriate pop jazz singer out there).

yep, this. I know there are some metal fans who equate not being metal to "this stuff sucks", but i've always found metal to be a bit more riff centric than any of the various hardcore related genres that people sometimes call metal.  Doesn't mean that there aren't grind or crust bands that aren't heavier than metal, or that metalheads should't listen to em, just a fact of categorization.  Kind of like how anything with orchestration isn't just automatically called classical.

May 28, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #1,341 of 12,284
  Yeah, so is many deathcore bands out there that aren't metal. Being metal isn't about being heavy. Same thing with jazz: it's not about improvisation otherwise Diana Krall wouldn't be there (or any more appropriate pop jazz singer out there).

To me, Zao sounds like 80% metal, 20% hardcore. (Or at least some of their albums.)

May 28, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #1,342 of 12,284

Who mentioned In Flames? In Flames is my favorite band! I'm wearing an In Flames shirt right now. Dark Tranquillity is my second favorite melodic death metal band. I have just about all their stuff.

I saw you mention it a few posts up.  In Flames is one of my favourite bands too.  Been a big fan for years but just recently discovered Dark Tranquillity.

I was looking up similar bands to In Flames and found the whole "Gothenburg melodic death metal" scene.  So I checked out Dark Tranquillity and At the Gates and really loved DT.  I just can't seem to get into At the Gates though.

May 28, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #1,344 of 12,284
  I saw you mention it a few posts up.  In Flames is one of my favourite bands too.  Been a big fan for years but just recently discovered Dark Tranquillity.

I was looking up similar bands to In Flames and found the whole "Gothenburg melodic death metal" scene.  So I checked out Dark Tranquillity and At the Gates and really loved DT.  I just can't seem to get into At the Gates though.

Are you sure it wasn't in the main metal discussion thread? I searched the last page of this thread and "In Flames" is not there. Speaking of...this thread is turning into a metal discussion thread when it's supposed to be about headphones for metal specifically...but I suppose it's unavoidable.

At any rate...some melodic death metal bands I like: Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, At The Gates, Children Of Bodom, Dark Tranquillity, Dimension Zero, Disarmonia Mundi, Dissection, Gardenian, In Flames, Kalmah, Nightrage, Soilwork (Note that some of them are not just that one style.) "Blinded By Fear" is my recommended At The Gates track.

May 28, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #1,345 of 12,284
  Hello..........

Goodbye.

Just kidding! Hiya! Wanna talk about headphones for metal? I am this thread's patron deity, by the way.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back