Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 25, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #1,306 of 12,314
Also, the first three letters are pronounced like buy, not bay. haha

Hm, so the guy who sold them to me was actually pronouncing it correctly. Ok good to know. For me it's beerdynamic from now on anyway :beerchug:  

+1
DT990 is a fantastic metal headphone, IMO. Clarity and separation really scale up to near the top level with good amplification and half decent DAC. Plus the excitement factor is A+++.

May 25, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #1,307 of 12,314

I can only compare from memory.

The DT 880 is neutral-ish. Slightly bright. Not much impact. It sounded very smooth, gentle, and polite to me. Did everything fairly well, but in a way that was utterly boring, in my opinion. Things just didn't jump out at you like they should.

FSP is a little darker, but still close to neutral. No peaks in the frequency response. Has the best sense of physicality for things like snare drums. Bass is way better than the DT 880. Pretty punchy and engaging, but ultimately, it just sounded a little too recessed to serve as a reference headphone for me.

MT220 already sounded brighter to me than the FSP at first. Once I put gauze under the pads and moved my ears to the front instead of in the middle, the mids changed from recessed and dull to much more upfront. Sounds much more alive and exciting than the other two. The bass is a lot more satisfying: bigger and punchier, but still somewhat accurate. The treble is more accurate too, but has occasional emphasis that makes it sound a little cold, clangy, and mechanical. Easily my favorite overall.

I don't care much about soundstage. Headphones sound like headphones. You'll have to ask someone else about that.

Sorry I wasn't able to go into much detail. I'm lazy, that's all.

I'm selling all my audio gear for now, to make sure my expenses are covered. Kinda bummed about it...

Thank you very much.

It seems MT-220 is a better choice for me & it's a better value too. In addition, it seems it doesn't need an amp.

And sorry about your headphones
frown.gif

May 27, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #1,309 of 12,314
  Anyone tried the Sony Z7 with metal?

I'm trying them now ) In about a week they'll join spreadsheet and mini-review will be ready.

May 28, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #1,311 of 12,314
First impressions are no too optimistic about Z7.

May 28, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #1,312 of 12,314
First impressions are no too optimistic about Z7.

mmm... from what i've seen from head-fi members I trust, it just seems that there is a bit of coloration to its sound signature & people were expecting a more reference-orientated 'flagship' type headphone for the initial press releases.

that being said, I do think many slightly 'basshead' audiophile have had really good experiences with the z7. 

May 28, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #1,313 of 12,314
mmm... from what i've seen from head-fi members I trust, it just seems that there is a bit of coloration to its sound signature & people were expecting a more reference-orientated 'flagship' type headphone for the initial press releases.

that being said, I do think many slightly 'basshead' audiophile have had really good experiences with the z7. 

Exactly. They're colored and, alas, I personally don't like this color.

May 28, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #1,314 of 12,314
Exactly. They're colored and, alas, I personally don't like this color.

i thought the black & silver scheme looks quite niice :wink: heh

May 28, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #1,315 of 12,314
Oh. THAT color is more than okay. Usability and visual impression are flagship-type ))

May 28, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #1,317 of 12,314
i got my hands on a used pair of shure srh440 cans. short impressions based on a couple of hours of listening and guitar playing and some comparison with the goldring dr150s i have for 5-6 years (i'm no english native, so please bare with me):
- fit and finish are decent for the price. i've seen a lot of sub-100€ headphones with awful build quality, and those are none of them. these are certainly better built than the goldrings.
- comfort is almost perfect. my head is on the small side, so i have to set the headband the shortest possible, but it's all right. on a small spot, the band touches the top of my head, making a small sweaty spot after a certain time, and that's really all i could complain about.
- the sound is pretty neutral, flat and enjoyable. these are not fatiguing headphones at all, neither regarding comfort, nor regarding sound.
- some reviews state that the treble is well extended for a closed pair; now, compared to my good old goldring dr150's, that's the only department i find the srh440s a bit lacking. especially at female vocals, i could use a bit more treble, but that's just me.
- bass is not overwhelming by any means, pretty tight, fast and controlled.
- the soundstage could be wider, but it still almost matches the goldrings (which are open). no complaints here.
- now the fun part: guitars sound ridiculously alive with these cans. i'm a bedroom rocker, i pick up my guitar when i can. for the last couple of years, i mainly used software emulated sounds and headphones for playing (neighbors...) and man, the 440s make it even more pleasure to play then ever before. the texture, the attack, the presentation did all surpassed my expectations. 
- these supposed to be some monitoring headphones, and they really excel in that department. these are very analytical, revealing headphones, so bad recordings do really sound awful, and carelessly compressed audio files do sound crap. i also noticed that some of my flac rips sound considerably worse than the same records on cd, so i re-ripped a couple of discs with more care. also, these cans constantly remind me that i should practice a lot more and play more clearly, precisely. the goldrings offer similar details, still seem to be more forgiving.

considering that my son was just born two weeks ago and i need some closed stuff to keep the noise at the minimum, the shures came as a blessing. for laid back music listening, i'd still prefer the goldrings more forgiving, slightly warmer presentation, but i doubt they'll get much use with the shures being more quiet for the family and way better for guitar playing.

May 28, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #1,320 of 12,314
  @money4me247

You mentioned in your HE1000 review that metal is one of the genres you listen to. However, earlier in this thread, you said you don't really listen to metal. Did you pick it up because of us or something?
biggrin.gif

I have a few metal artists that I still like & will listen to on occasion, and I used to be a really big metalhead back in the day, but dont rly listen to that genre as much anymore. really prefer hard rock nowadays. though there was someone on this thread whose been giving some really cool recommendations on metal songs, so have been picking it up a littttle bit more, but i wld say metal still isnt really a genre I listen to regularly. its rly good for test tracks though for some stuff w/ really fast percussion.

for headphone review I generally do try to cover as many genres as I can (esp if the headphones work well w/ those other genres). pulled out some jazz stuff to listen to as well for the he-1k and haven't listened to jazz in forever hahah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back