Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 28, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #1,321 of 12,314
  I have a few metal artists that I still like & will listen to on occasion, and I used to be a really big metalhead back in the day, but dont rly listen to that genre as much anymore. really prefer hard rock nowadays. though there was someone on this thread whose been giving some really cool recommendations on metal songs, so have been picking it up a littttle bit more, but i wld say metal still isnt really a genre I listen to regularly. its rly good for test tracks though for some stuff w/ really fast percussion.

for headphone review I generally do try to cover as many genres as I can (esp if the headphones work well w/ those other genres). pulled out some jazz stuff to listen to as well for the he-1k and haven't listened to jazz in forever hahah

Since you're knowledgeable about hard rock...it would be awesome if you could help me out on this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/760462/looking-for-hard-rock-songs-like-this-one

I also gave some great recommendations here for metal tracks in various genres. I can link you to the post again if need be.

Oh, and listen to "All Or Nothing" by Naoshi Mizuta from the Final Fantasy XIII-2 Original Soundtrack. It's my favorite jazz song.

May 28, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #1,322 of 12,314
I used to listen more to metal when I was younger, though now I'm listening more to alternative rock, apparently.

I was actually surprised that quite a bit of what I currently listen to is also considered metal, actually. But since I started with Sepultura (Chaos AD, not the earlier stuff), my reference for heavy metal is that if it's not grunting, it's not heavy metal. So I group most of what I listen to as some sort of rock, even if this is not the common definition of rock
wink.gif

Perhaps Music Alchemist has some recommendations for me in the lines of Sepultura (Chaos AD and Roots) and Hatebreed?

May 28, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #1,323 of 12,314
  I used to listen more to metal when I was younger, though now I'm listening more to alternative rock, apparently.

I was actually surprised that quite a bit of what I currently listen to is also considered metal, actually. But since I started with Sepultura (Chaos AD, not the earlier stuff), my reference for heavy metal is that if it's not grunting, it's not heavy metal. So I group most of what I listen to as some sort of rock, even if this is not the common definition of rock
wink.gif

Perhaps Music Alchemist has some recommendations for me in the lines of Sepultura (Chaos AD and Roots) and Hatebreed?

I'm only somewhat familiar with Hatebreed. Never heard much Sepultura. There's plenty of metal with sung vocals.

Tell me more about what sound signature and features you're looking for and I'll see what I can do.

May 28, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #1,326 of 12,314
Similar to those listening to less metal (or hear the same artist/album as rock), I've concluded I'm actually more into hardcore and variants of it (i.e. metalcore). I still find the thread to be a helpful resource.

I find it amusing that Metal-Archives.com (I'm sort of a moderator there) refuses to list bands like Zao, Converge, and Today Is The Day. They're metalcore/hardcore/noisecore, but way crazier than many metal bands. Lots of metalcore is considered metal. Guess it just depends on how much hardcore punk influence there is.

The youtube sound quality is horrendous, but the genre should be clear, I hope.  
To not go completely off-topic, ordered a HE-560 earlier this week. Curious to listen to how my music sounds on them.

Anyway, there is a separate thread for the general discussion of metal music.

In case this post was in reply to mine, I was asking about what headphone sound signature you are looking for -- not your taste in music.

But now I realized that you were probably asking for band recommendations, not headphone recommendations. Ask in the metal thread.

May 28, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #1,327 of 12,314
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In case this post was in reply to mine, I was asking about what headphone sound signature you are looking for -- not your taste in music.

But now I realized that you were probably asking for band recommendations, not headphone recommendations. Ask in the metal thread.

I was thinking about band recommendations, yes, but I'll check out the metal thread, thanks!

As for sound signature for headphones, I prefer a neutral sound signature, which I'm not sure the HE-560 will give me, but since the shop I ordered them from has a 365 days return policy, I'm willing to go out on a limb on this one.

May 28, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #1,328 of 12,314
  I was thinking about band recommendations, yes, but I'll check out the metal thread, thanks!

As for sound signature for headphones, I prefer a neutral sound signature, which I'm not sure the HE-560 will give me, but since the shop I ordered them from has a 365 days return policy, I'm willing to go out on a limb on this one.

Start here. (It's a list of metal bands I like.)

Everyone talks about how neutral the HE-560 is, and some even say it's more neutral than the HD 800, so it's a good choice.

May 28, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #1,329 of 12,314
Neutral is fairly subjective, and based on remarks of someone whose ears I trust, the HE-560 would be fairly neutral if a tad V-shaped. I'm hoping they will fall within my tolerance for neutrality at least, or otherwise it'll give me a good grounds for comparison for auditioning other headphones.

May 28, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #1,330 of 12,314

Start here. (It's a list of metal bands I like.)

Everyone talks about how neutral the HE-560 is, and some even say it's more neutral than the HD 800, so it's a good choice.

He-560 more neutral hd800 is a matter of taste. 

Hd800 has more revealing and more treble. more bass. larger, more exact soundstage. 

May 28, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #1,331 of 12,314
  Neutral is fairly subjective, and based on remarks of someone whose ears I trust, the HE-560 would be fairly neutral if a tad V-shaped. I'm hoping they will fall within my tolerance for neutrality at least, or otherwise it'll give me a good grounds for comparison for auditioning other headphones.

It's fairly objective too. Check these out...

http://cdn.head-fi.org/a/a9/a9650bb7_Sennheiser_HD800_Frequency_Response_HRTF.png
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE5602014.pdf

The green line in the first graph is the flat speaker HRTF. The black line is the Harman-Olive HRTF. (An average of what sound people prefer.) Ignore the mislabeling.

Anyway, you can compare the measurements. Planar magnetic headphones tend to have flat (as in neutral) bass.

You can also get your headphones closer to neutral with equalization.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

May 28, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,332 of 12,314
Based on the FR graphs, planars are typically ruler flat below 1 kHz, yes. I find the neutrality above 1 kHz somewhat harder to judge, based on these figures. The fact that there is (was?) a discussion about the changing the Harman target response curve, suggests that there is some uncertainty about what represents neutral even there.

As always, only our own ears can decide for ourselves.

May 28, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #1,333 of 12,314

I find it amusing that Metal-Archives.com (I'm sort of a moderator there) refuses to list bands like Zao, Converge, and Today Is The Day. They're metalcore/hardcore/noisecore, but way crazier than many metal bands. Lots of metalcore is considered metal. Guess it just depends on how much hardcore punk influence there is.

Because these bands are closer to hardcore than they are to metal. And hardcore is punk. Simple as that.

Doesn't mean they aren't good bands. Many of my favorite bands used to be on Metal-Archives (like Rosetta) but were later removed since they were closer to hardcore than metal. 

People take this as an insult and it shouldn't be. It's just being thorough.

May 28, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #1,334 of 12,314
  Based on the FR graphs, planars are typically ruler flat below 1 kHz, yes. I find the neutrality above 1 kHz somewhat harder to judge, based on these figures. The fact that there is (was?) a discussion about the changing the Harman target response curve, suggests that there is some uncertainty about what represents neutral even there.

As always, only our own ears can decide for ourselves.

Since the Harman-Olive HRTF is simply an average of what sound people prefer, I don't even give it consideration in discussions of neutrality. I use the flat speaker HRTF curve. It's what headphones like the SR-009 and HD 800 follow. (Again, ignore the mislabeling.) Also notice that all those planars always follow the flat speaker HRTF (not H-O HRTF) in the bass.

Because these bands are closer to hardcore than they are to metal. And hardcore is punk. Simple as that.

Doesn't mean they aren't good bands. Many of my favorite bands used to be on Metal-Archives (like Rosetta) but were later removed since they were closer to hardcore than metal. 

People take this as an insult and it shouldn't be. It's just being thorough.

Yup, but Zao is so much heavier and more metal than lots of metal bands.
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #1,335 of 12,314

Since the Harman-Olive HRTF is simply an average of what sound people prefer, I don't even give it consideration in discussions of neutrality. I use the flat speaker HRTF curve. It's what headphones like the SR-009 and HD 800 follow. (Again, ignore the mislabeling.) Also notice that all those planars always follow the flat speaker HRTF (not H-O HRTF) in the bass.

Yup, but Zao is so much heavier and more metal than lots of metal bands.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, so is many deathcore bands out there that aren't metal. Being metal isn't about being heavy. Same thing with jazz: it's not about improvisation otherwise Diana Krall wouldn't be there (or any more appropriate pop jazz singer out there).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back