Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 29, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #1,352 of 12,314
I want the yggdrasil too. Funny you mentioned it because i'm listeing to enslaved right now. The first thing I heard from them was their yggdrasill demo. I don't see the schiit yggy in my near future unfortunately.

May 29, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #1,353 of 12,314

Are you sure it wasn't in the main metal discussion thread? I searched the last page of this thread and "In Flames" is not there. Speaking of...this thread is turning into a metal discussion thread when it's supposed to be about headphones for metal specifically...but I suppose it's unavoidable.

At any rate...some melodic death metal bands I like: Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, At The Gates, Children Of Bodom, Dark Tranquillity, Dimension Zero, Disarmonia Mundi, Dissection, Gardenian, In Flames, Kalmah, Nightrage, Soilwork (Note that some of them are not just that one style.) "Blinded By Fear" is my recommended At The Gates track.

Ya I think you are right, it was in the Lets Talk Metal thread.  At any rate, they are awesome :)

Saw Children of Bodom live several years ago...very good band live.

May 29, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #1,354 of 12,314
This reddit comment I found is gold:

If I buy the Stax SR-009, will it make lo-fi black metal sound like smooth hi-fi metal?
Also will it rebuild the churches burned down by first and second wave black metal musicians?
If you answer yes to either of these questions, my whole headphone collection will be for sale.

It's from this link, which is an obvious joke review.

May 29, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #1,355 of 12,314
  This reddit comment I found is gold:

It's from this link, which is an obvious joke review.

You might not belive this, but I am using ie800 at the moment. 

There is nothing that sounds bad with them. I mean nothing sounds muffled, or low fidelity, or at least, they sound as clear as it is possible. I am truly amazed. If you listen to low fidelity downtempo, it is clear as daylight. Amazing differences really. 

For example, at the moment I listen to holywood undead - circles. The song is edited to sound low fidelity, with ie800 it sounds as clear as the rest of the album. I mean, the mids are just clear, on most headphones this particular song is made to sound muffled and fuzzy.

I am not sure about the damages done by black metal fanatics to people and their lives though.

May 29, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #1,356 of 12,314
I have been listening to IQ- The Road Of Bones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob0OYmSQukk

and

Amestigon - Demiurg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQR3uToxTA4

on my LCD-X with Mjolnir.

Soo good. 
o2smile.gif

May 29, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #1,357 of 12,314
Amestigon - Demiurg

Wha-wha-what?! I had no idea Amestigon had a new album. Haven't been paying attention. Tharen (the guy behind the band) was the original vocalist of Abigor, which is my favorite black metal band. He also has a neoclassical darkwave / dark ambient project called Dargaard and an industrial black metal band called Dominion III. I wanted to release the third Dominion III album on a record label I was planning. He was even open to the idea...but the record label and the album were scrapped. Maybe when I own a digital music store, it could still happen.

So how do you like the HD 800 with metal compared to the LCD-X?

May 29, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #1,358 of 12,314

Wha-wha-what?! I had no idea Amestigon had a new album. Haven't been paying attention. Tharen (the guy behind the band) was the original vocalist of Abigor, which is my favorite black metal band. He also has a neoclassical darkwave / dark ambient project called Dargaard and an industrial black metal band called Dominion III. I wanted to release the third Dominion III album on a record label I was planning. He was even open to the idea...but the record label and the album were scrapped. Maybe when I own a digital music store, it could still happen.

So how do you like the HD 800 with metal compared to the LCD-X?

The bass impact is not as good as the LCDs. I have my separate set of genres/songs with the 800s :wink:

May 31, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,359 of 12,314
@Asr

I just read your comparison of the Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 to the AD2000X. Very impressive! I also read your full-length review in the past. Since the AD2000 is your favorite headphone for metal, and you have so much experience, I need to get my hands on this headphone! The fact that it's out of production will make it a bit more challenging, but no matter. I will find a way!

Jun 1, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #1,360 of 12,314
We were discussing the linearity in a FR graph vs neutrality, and I have to say that while the HE-560 has a linear line below 1 kHz, it doesn't even come close to sounding neutral to me. It was actually a relief for me to put my Vsonic GR07s on after a weekend with the HE-560, and the GR07s suddenly seemed much clearer to me. It may be just that my ears are weird (or the stuff between my ears), but the bass of the HE-560 makes it rather hard for me to hear the music cleanly and clearly. It's not necessarily boosted, but it dominates the sound. I'm not sure if the mids are a bit recessed or if it just seems that way to me because of the bass quantity.

But I suppose that that is precisely the thing that most people like about it.

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,361 of 12,314
  We were discussing the linearity in a FR graph vs neutrality, and I have to say that while the HE-560 has a linear line below 1 kHz, it doesn't even come close to sounding neutral to me. It was actually a relief for me to put my Vsonic GR07s on after a weekend with the HE-560, and the GR07s suddenly seemed much clearer to me. It may be just that my ears are weird (or the stuff between my ears), but the bass of the HE-560 makes it rather hard for me to hear the music cleanly and clearly. It's not necessarily boosted, but it dominates the sound. I'm not sure if the mids are a bit recessed or if it just seems that way to me because of the bass quantity.

But I suppose that that is precisely the thing that most people like about it.

It is about the treble, actually. 

He-560 has a very smooth top end. This affects mids, and most sounds, and can create a as too lean atmosphere. Laid back is another good word for it. 

I do not consider it to be even close to natural music. In nature, treble is sharp, and pierces. Most headphones get that wrong. A few (mainly sennheiser hd800, ie800, some ultrasones) get it right.

I am still looking forward to other headphones that get this thing right.

I would pretty much preffer something with sharp treble. 

Especially for metal!

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #1,362 of 12,314

Especially for metal!

Gonna have to get a Grado. Always found that the highs beat everything else I've heard, but the LCD-2 beats everything else.

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #1,363 of 12,314
  It is about the treble, actually. 

He-560 has a very smooth top end. This affects mids, and most sounds, and can create a as too lean atmosphere. Laid back is another good word for it. 

I do not consider it to be even close to natural music. In nature, treble is sharp, and pierces. Most headphones get that wrong. A few (mainly sennheiser hd800, ie800, some ultrasones) get it right.

I am still looking forward to other headphones that get this thing right.

Especially for metal!

Not too sharp though. The Sony MDR-7506 is bright and nasty, with too much treble, though I still enjoy it enough with metal.

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #1,364 of 12,314
When I need to torture someone, I'll force them to listen to Thrash via the 7506... I cound never never ever stand the highs of that models. Instant nauseum. 

On the other hand  I have a whole Grado collection...

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #1,365 of 12,314
  When I need to torture someone, I'll force them to listen to Thrash via the 7506... I cound never never ever stand the highs of that models. Instant nauseum. 

On the other hand  I have a whole Grado collection...

You know your headphones are too bright when even Grado buffs can't stand it. hehe. Yeah, it's downright painful sometimes...but has many strengths as well. (One opera piece I like sounded almost exactly like real life on it!) However, I have grown tired of it and am trying to sell it. I guess it's not popular among members here.

I almost have enough money to buy the rare Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 (which Asr considers to be the ultimate metal headphone) from someone. Its MSRP was originally nearly $1,200, so I'm surprised I'm able to get it so easily, especially since it's so hard to find nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back