Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jun 1, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #1,366 of 12,314

You know your headphones are too bright when even Grado buffs can't stand it. hehe. Yeah, it's downright painful sometimes...but has many strengths as well. (One opera piece I like sounded almost exactly like real life on it!) However, I have grown tired of it and am trying to sell it. I guess it's not popular among members here.

I almost have enough money to buy the rare Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 (which Asr considers to be the ultimate metal headphone) from someone. Its MSRP was originally nearly $1,200, so I'm surprised I'm able to get it so easily, especially since it's so hard to find nowadays.

In my country (Vietnam) we could get it for anywhere from $400 - 500... And I don't think it's the ultimate metal headphones. The AD2000 is perfect for slow Vocals music, but for faster music, I don't think they cut it.

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #1,367 of 12,314
  In my country (Vietnam) we could get it for anywhere from $400 - 500... And I don't think it's the ultimate metal headphones. The AD2000 is perfect for slow Vocals music, but for faster music, I don't think they cut it.

Hm, that's odd.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631998/audio-technica-updates-their-open-headphones-ad-series-ad2000x-ad1000x-ad900x-ad700x-and-ad500x/1290#post_9663275
http://www.head-fi.org/t/574882/5-year-re-review-audio-technica-ath-ad2000

He makes it seem like it sounds very exciting with metal, and has said so elsewhere as well. He also called it "the #1 single fastest-sounding dynamic full-size headphone I've heard" and emphasized how it excels with faster music.

Which are your favorite metal headphones? =D

Jun 2, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #1,368 of 12,314
That's why putting so much stock in other peoples experiences is flawed. What's best. What ever stirs you 
personally and puts you closer to the music. Not what works for others.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #1,369 of 12,314
  It is about the treble, actually.

He-560 has a very smooth top end. This affects mids, and most sounds, and can create a as too lean atmosphere. Laid back is another good word for it.

I do not consider it to be even close to natural music. In nature, treble is sharp, and pierces. Most headphones get that wrong. A few (mainly sennheiser hd800, ie800, some ultrasones) get it right.

I am still looking forward to other headphones that get this thing right.

I would pretty much preffer something with sharp treble.

Especially for metal!

Many people appear to be sensitive to sharp treble, and seem to prefer the laid back top end.

I'm more the other way around, on some tracks and even on moderate listening levels, if the bass is thumping, it makes my head hurt with the HE-560. If this is what a lot of people call lean bass, then I dread to think how full bass sounds.

Well, there's is quite some time left before the return period expires for the shop I got them from, so I'll keep them around a bit longer, maybe they'll grow no me after a while. But I think I'll have a listen to the HD800 again. I seem to remember them being clearer sounding at least, though also with quite some bass.

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #1,370 of 12,314

Hm, that's odd.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631998/audio-technica-updates-their-open-headphones-ad-series-ad2000x-ad1000x-ad900x-ad700x-and-ad500x/1290#post_9663275

He makes it seem like it sounds very exciting with metal, and has said so elsewhere as well. He also called it "the #1 single fastest-sounding dynamic full-size headphone I've heard" and emphasized how it excels with faster music.

Within my budget, 1st, Grado 325is, 2nd, Grado RS1i, 3rd, Grado 325e. Of all the closed back, VModa M100 is the only one that I can stand (for Metal).

I've heard that the LCD 2 (or the X, I can't remember correctly) are quite good for Metal, but my budget is nowhere near that range.

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #1,371 of 12,314
  That's why putting so much stock in other peoples experiences is flawed. What's best. What ever stirs you 

Can't agree more. I actually dislike the DT880 and the AKG K/Q701/2 a lot, but a lot of people like them. When I tried my friend's DT880 for Sirenia's 'On the Wane', it was comparable to watching Avatar on a black/white TV set...

Jun 2, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #1,372 of 12,314

Of course, but I have to read opinions online to decide which headphones to focus on. I don't go to meets and certainly can't hear rare headphones before getting them.

(Good thing you like the SR-009 with metal! hehe)

Can't agree more. I actually dislike the DT880 and the AKG K/Q701/2 a lot, but a lot of people like them. When I tried my friend's DT880 for Sirenia's 'On the Wane', it was comparable to watching Avatar on a black/white TV set...

I dislike the DT 880 as well. Sounded too boring, gentle, and polite to me.

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #1,373 of 12,314
  Of course, but I have to read opinions online to decide which headphones to focus on. I don't go to meets and certainly can't hear rare headphones before getting them.

Indeed. There are not that many stores around here that even stock headphones, and certainly not the higher end ones. Which means that you'll have to buy through the internet, so you can't audition them before you get them. That is the main reason to look on the internet for opinions, and hopefully you'll find someone that shares similar tastes as you do.

Of course it's sometimes hard to find opinions that coincide with your own. Or to ignore all the opinions of people that prefer a different sound than you do.

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #1,374 of 12,314
Having heard both, at meets it's interesting it seems the HE560 and LCD2 seem to be the big contenders in that approaching 1K or just at 1k range with a slight bias to the LCD2. Of course, when you're willing to spend more $ lots of options are out there. I just think for a lot of people this price range represents a top high end jumping off point they don't want to exceed.

like Paradoxper said, it really depends on your connection to the HP. But, it is  hard for a potential buyer, saving your $ and finally putting down that big chunk of change when you want to make a great choice. Hearing the HPs at meets gives you some idea, but you know you need to live with any gear for days before you really know. I can say for myself I think they're both nice, but would have to really think about which one I'd ultimately want. At some point, I'm just going to have to pull the trigger and hold my breath
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #1,375 of 12,314
It's so ironic that after owning the Bose QC15 for years and getting many other headphones after that (see profile), it is to this day the most exciting headphone I have heard, especially for metal. Guess it's mainly due to the boosted bass and treble, making it sound warm and bright at the same time. Adding an aftermarket cable (I used the V-MODA Audio Only Cable, which at $12 is actually cheaper than the stock cables) dramatically improved the sound quality (due to the extra electronics in the stock cables interfering with the signal) and tamed some of the sibilance it is known for. Most people don't even know you can use normal cables with it, so I bet it would have a better reputation if more knew. The main downside of using normal cables with it is that the channels are switched due to the active circuitry of the headphones. And having to use a AAA battery to even listen to music with it is a real downer. But since it can be had for under $100 from eBay, it's a great value. I kinda got screwed over, because I paid $300 for mine, then traded it for a V-MODA Crossfade LP, which I haven't managed to sell even for $50...

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #1,377 of 12,314
I have the 325is and the AD2000x, I love both with metal. The AD2000x is by no means slow, I think it suits metal great.

Hm, that's odd.

I have the 325is and the AD2000x, I love both with metal. The AD2000x is by no means slow, I think it suits metal great.

Audio Technica sounds quite unique to me, verrrry airy, especially like how drums sound - it feels like the snare is right in front of you.

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #1,379 of 12,314
  Having heard both, at meets it's interesting it seems the HE560 and LCD2 seem to be the big contenders in that approaching 1K or just at 1k range with a slight bias to the LCD2. Of course, when you're willing to spend more $ lots of options are out there. I just think for a lot of people this price range represents a top high end jumping off point they don't want to exceed.

like Paradoxper said, it really depends on your connection to the HP. But, it is  hard for a potential buyer, saving your $ and finally putting down that big chunk of change when you want to make a great choice. Hearing the HPs at meets gives you some idea, but you know you need to live with any gear for days before you really know. I can say for myself I think they're both nice, but would have to really think about which one I'd ultimately want. At some point, I'm just going to have to pull the trigger and hold my breath
confused_face_2.gif

It depends on what you are looking for.

HE560: faster, more detailed, more soundstage.
LCD-2: Much stronger bass, less fatiguing, more euphonic maybe

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #1,380 of 12,314
So I bought an Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBL and will receive it on Saturday... tomorrow!

Audio Technica sounds quite unique to me, verrrry airy, especially like how drums sound - it feels like the snare is right in front of you.

That post was about the rare AD2000, not the in-production AD2000X. In the posts I linked to, @Asr compares them and says the AD2000 is far superior.

Strange then. What amp and DAC are you using with the AD2000X?

I sure hope you were referring to the AD2000 when you said you didn't like it, since the AD2000X is a different headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back