Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and... - Page 87

post #1291 of 1821
Humm, I also found out that my store is doing a promo for employees. The new PC363s for 150 instead of 300. Would that be a good buy over the AD700x's?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2
post #1292 of 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSkope View Post

Humm, I also found out that my store is doing a promo for employees. The new PC363s for 150 instead of 300. Would that be a good buy over the AD700x's?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2

Depends, if you are a competitive fps player, I think the AD700 is arguably the best headphone for the job.  It also can be found quite cheap.


For all other reasons you're better off getting the PC363s.

post #1293 of 1821

Has anyone try to open the AD1000X , I want to mod them into detachable like some others did to their M50 but I'm afraid doing this will affect the sound quality . Has anyone tried recable it with OCC cable ? And I really love to know how A900X vs AD900X : Bass , Treble , Mid , Soundstage , Image . I can't decide which one to go . A900X , AD900X or AD1000x . If I go with the A900X I think I can mod it with some dynamat and polyfill like I used to do with my HM5 to increase bass control , detail ... but I don't know how much different between A900X and the others so... . Please help me


Edited by tinphamhuu0212 - 7/28/13 at 1:19pm
post #1294 of 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinphamhuu0212 View Post

Has anyone try to open the AD1000X , I want to mod them into detachable like some others did to their M50 but I'm afraid doing this will affect the sound quality . Has anyone tried recable it with OCC cable ? And I really love to know how A900X vs AD900X : Bass , Treble , Mid , Soundstage , Image . I can't decide which one to go . A900X , AD900X or AD1000x . If I go with the A900X I think I can mod it with some dynamat and polyfill like I used to do with my HM5 to increase bass control , detail ... but I don't know how much different between A900X and the others so... . Please help me

I had both the A900x and the AD900x.  Sold my AD900x last night and have kept my A900x.

 

For what its worth the A900x is a closed AD900x.  It sounds more congested and less airy.  The bass on the A900x is stronger and not as tight sounding.  (Which I think in this case is a good thing).

 

In terms of comfort, well the AD900x was noticeably more comfortable with its velour pads.  A900x has far better isolation and leakage control, and still is comfortable to me.

 

Bottom line is the tonality between the A/AD 900x is about the same.  I kept the A900x because it is less fatiguing, and am thinking about upgrading the AD900x.  

From what I've read, the AD1000x would seem more enjoyable than both.  Whether or not its worth its going price is uncertain, as it has bumped up considerably.

 

What I do know is that I got my A900x for $99, and it sounds worlds better than the $130 HM5 it replaced.  For you this would be more of a side grade, I recommend you get the AD1000x if it hits a low price again.

post #1295 of 1821

Well, if you are able to get the a900x for only 99 dollars, then there's really no arguing that it's better than the ad900x. 

 

Personally, I prefer the ad900x though, if we're talking the same price.

 

It also depends on your uses I guess, because if you're in a quiet home listening environment, the open version is obviously the better choice, but if there's periodic noise, the closed one might be better.

 

The differences in their sound aren't too jarring, but still noticeable. I haven't tried the ad1000x, so I can't comment on that.

 

Additionally, why do people even mention the noise leakage on the open versions? At normal listening volume, I hear close to nothing placing it a foot away from my head. Unless you're playing them pretty loudly, it shouldn't be a problem at all. If it is a problem, I recommend you turn your volume down, or get your hearing checked. 

 

Another thing, the pads on the ad900x don't seem to be the usual velour, which has a distinctive "shiny" look to them, but these don't. They are still some kind of fabric though, perhaps with a mix of actual cotton in them.

post #1296 of 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinphamhuu0212 View Post

Has anyone try to open the AD1000X , I want to mod them into detachable like some others did to their M50 but I'm afraid doing this will affect the sound quality . Has anyone tried recable it with OCC cable ? And I really love to know how A900X vs AD900X : Bass , Treble , Mid , Soundstage , Image . I can't decide which one to go . A900X , AD900X or AD1000x . If I go with the A900X I think I can mod it with some dynamat and polyfill like I used to do with my HM5 to increase bass control , detail ... but I don't know how much different between A900X and the others so... . Please help me

At $99 it's a buy, above $150 I'd start to wavier.

  My A990X produce decent bass, can't say it is realistic but punchy, highlighted/brought forwarded. Overall the phones sound a bit subdued as they favor lows at the expensive of missing the highs. Staging is good. Mid range is slightly narrow since it doesn't capture all the possible highs. I don't think you need bother trying to improve the bass sound. A bit of a snug fit but that is to be expected for a good seal.  If I am missing some clarity, I fall back to my AD700.

post #1297 of 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzz42 View Post

At $99 it's a buy, above $150 I'd start to wavier.

  My A990X produce decent bass, can't say it is realistic but punchy, highlighted/brought forwarded. Overall the phones sound a bit subdued as they favor lows at the expensive of missing the highs. Staging is good. Mid range is slightly narrow since it doesn't capture all the possible highs. I don't think you need bother trying to improve the bass sound. A bit of a snug fit but that is to be expected for a good seal.  If I am missing some clarity, I fall back to my AD700.

I noticed the AD900x and A900x do not have very much texture in their lows, the A900x is more loose and extends slightly better.  The AD900x is too tight imo, and not very well defined either.

 

The more I listen to other headphones, the less fond I become of the AD700.  Still, I will not argue its imaging capabilities.  Perfect for footstep ninjas

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazz View Post

Well, if you are able to get the a900x for only 99 dollars, then there's really no arguing that it's better than the ad900x. 

 

Personally, I prefer the ad900x though, if we're talking the same price.

 

It also depends on your uses I guess, because if you're in a quiet home listening environment, the open version is obviously the better choice, but if there's periodic noise, the closed one might be better.

 

The differences in their sound aren't too jarring, but still noticeable. I haven't tried the ad1000x, so I can't comment on that.

 

Additionally, why do people even mention the noise leakage on the open versions? At normal listening volume, I hear close to nothing placing it a foot away from my head. Unless you're playing them pretty loudly, it shouldn't be a problem at all. If it is a problem, I recommend you turn your volume down, or get your hearing checked. 

 

Another thing, the pads on the ad900x don't seem to be the usual velour, which has a distinctive "shiny" look to them, but these don't. They are still some kind of fabric though, perhaps with a mix of actual cotton in them.

When I see AD900x I always see velour written about them.  They material used does feel different to my DT 990, which I know for sure feels like velour biggrin.gif

 

I got my AD900x for around $170, so the A900x takes the cake for bang/buck.  I forgot to mention the AD900x feels a bit sturdier, does not creak, and looks way sexier.

post #1298 of 1821

thanks guys :D . So I guess I better go with the AD1000X , Oh I also got A900X refurbish at 99$ :D

post #1299 of 1821

I don't know what you guys listen to for auditioning your headset but this is a busy well recorded song with a wide usage of instruments and a male vocal lead in a salsa...

Lo Que Yo Más Quiero by Son By Four 2000 (off the Audio CD May 30, 2000 would be the best listening).


Edited by razzz42 - 7/28/13 at 11:10pm
post #1300 of 1821

AD2K/AD2KX Updated & Final Impressions

 

Following on from my previous post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/631998/audio-technica-updates-their-open-headphones-ad-series-ad2000x-ad1000x-ad900x-ad700x-and-ad500x/1215#post_9538778

 

The current (and final) running score is now AD2KX: 0, AD2K: 2. very_evil_smiley.gif

 

I knew this was going to be a tough comparison between the original and the "X" going in. I've owned the original since 2006 and actually just came up on 7 years of owning it last month. Before I proceed, I should probably link my AD2K re-review for those who haven't read it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/574882/5-year-re-review-audio-technica-ath-ad2000

 

I'll also re-state it for the new readers here: the original has been my #1 favorite headphone of all time ever since then, and it still is. Why do I love the original so much? Because it's way too much fun! There's literally never a time when it doesn't make me either head-bang or dance in my chair. It's the most ridiculously sonically over-the-top headphone I've heard. A lot of people would call it sonically over-colored. I call it supremely satisfying. Forget the technical buzzwords. The AD2K is simply the most directly-involving headphone I've ever heard because it literally assaults the music and sends that result as an assault on your ears. It's direct, in-your-face, and extremely forward. It's the most impolite headphone that I've heard but that makes it so much fun and ludicrously engaging. The AD2K is like the antidote for sleepy/boring planar magnetics and electrostatic headphones! Even compared to other newer headphones like the MrSpeakers Mad Dog, or Fostex TH900, or the Stax SR-009, or almost anything else out right now, the AD2K is still unique and offers things the other ones don't come anywhere close to achieving. I still love it and it's likely that nothing will ever beat it now, including by Audio-Technica!

 

Not that Audio-Technica's newfangled X brought nothing to the table though. I should admit that I used mostly electronica/trip-hop and metal music on the two headphones, which probably played to the AD2K's strengths more than the X's, because the X was less in-your-face, less forward, less insistent and forward-moving, and less percussively snappy. In other words, the X was a more well-balanced headphone. It smoothed out the original's signature, reducing the mid-bass quantity, making the vocals less forward, and bumping up the dial on the clarity a bit. It also went for a more passive & laid-back kind of sound, with a slightly-expanded soundstage. I guess that all of that should make the X seem like a better headphone, right? Well to me it didn't. I use the original primarily for electronica & metal which it's awesome at. Because of the X's more-balanced signature, it became less engaging to me. Percussion didn't snap as much on it, bass guitars didn't growl as much on it, and bass was just less prominent. The sense of the original's tour-de-force sonic assault simply wasn't there.

 

In its favor, I guess the X would be an improvement for those who listen to (and like) slower-paced or vocal-oriented music like jazz, folk, alt/indie rock, etc. But for those like me who really like how the AD2K presents extremely fast-paced & percussive music, the X would not be an improvement. And although the two definitely had the same impulse response, the AD2K just seemed faster because of its accelerator-style sound. The X had more of a moderate running pace to it than something actually speeding up and gearing up to take off into orbit.

 

I also ran into fit issues with the X as well. Its grip was looser on my head and was prone to slipping, which became annoying. The original's tighter clamp was more secure on my head. For that reason I'd recommend the X only for larger heads, small heads need not apply.

 

And although the X is spec'd at +1 dB/mW over the original, I actually found that I needed to turn up the volume a bit for it to match the original's loudness at any given volume setting.

 

It's also possible that the Dynalo/Dynalo+ may not be the ideal amp for the X either. I always thought that the AD2K & Dynalo were a perfect match with each other, but something about the X might require slightly different amping.

 

Equipment Setup: Plinius CD-101 > HeadAmp GS-X MK2

Music by bands as listed: Diablo Swing Orchestra, Helloween, In Flames, Infected Mushroom, Massive Attack, Megadeth, The Crystal Method, The Prodigy

post #1301 of 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

AD2K/AD2KX Updated & Final Impressions

 

 

Great thoughts Asr. I do agree that the AD2000 was a very flavoursome headphone that worked wonders with particular kinds of music. My pair of AD1000X's remind me of more balanced AD2000's - they retain some of the character but don't reach the same high points in terms of really connecting to the music - the AD2000 could make you hang on every breath, though sometimes they could sound honky and unnatural. The AD1000X is definitely more of an all rounder, but I guess as collectors specialised gear has its charms :3

post #1302 of 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

 

Great thoughts Asr. I do agree that the AD2000 was a very flavoursome headphone that worked wonders with particular kinds of music. My pair of AD1000X's remind me of more balanced AD2000's - they retain some of the character but don't reach the same high points in terms of really connecting to the music - the AD2000 could make you hang on every breath, though sometimes they could sound honky and unnatural. The AD1000X is definitely more of an all rounder, but I guess as collectors specialised gear has its charms :3

As far as details go, would you be able to recall how they compare?  I would hope the AD2000x to be better for its going price, but I have not touched into higher end headphones yet.

I guess that is another reason why I am so hesitant!
 

Do I settle for midrange, am I even settling?  High end is tempting, but am I paying for neutrality and wooden cups?

post #1303 of 1821
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the comparison Asr. When i had my AD2000 a long time ago i wished that it would have just a touch more neutral tuning and a bit of those closed AT upper mids to fit perfectly for my tastes. I don't listen to any fast-paced music so i never took advantage of the AD2000 in that way. AD2000x here i come.... well maybe for Xmas. frown.gif

post #1304 of 1821
Thanks for sharing Asr.
post #1305 of 1821
I sheldom agree with Asr's opinion and tastes, but for AD2000 I totally agree.
It's not accurate but it's just very emotional, 'playful', fun, I can forget about all neutrality, detail, timbre, soundstage. Just me and music ...

Nice review Asr. Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x