Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jul 31, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #1,834 of 12,284
  Off-Topic in every sense; good for a laugh.

I need to expand my audio collection. New priority: sift through the lets talk metal thread over the next... however long. xD

lol, funny joke article. There obviously was never a real study about this. XD

That's another thread I am an avid member of. Here is my post listing some of my favorite metal bands.

Although I sold off much of my music collection, the remaining CDs are still available for sale (or trade) here.

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #1,835 of 12,284
  Currently I use HE-6 at home for 80% of music and have no problem with jazz, metal and rock that consist most of my menu.

How's HE-6 with Burson Soloist? Enough power? I have the latter at home and love it with LCD-2F, but am tempted by HE-6, especially if Soloist is enough (could be upgrading to Schiit Ragnarok at some point).

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #1,836 of 12,284
  How's HE-6 with Burson Soloist? Enough power? I have the latter at home and love it with LCD-2F, but am tempted by HE-6, especially if Soloist is enough (could be upgrading to Schiit Ragnarok at some point).

Your best bet is to get an affordable speaker amp until you can afford a better one. I heard the HE-6 on a MOON Neo 430HA, and although the amp had plenty of power, it just didn't have the visceral, impressive sound that everyone talks about. For this reason, I would not recommend investing significant amounts of money into headphone amps for the HE-6. (Though the Ragnarok may be a different story.) I suspect it involves the ratio of current and voltage. Also, I know the actual power requirements of the HE-6. (I can post the details if you like.) Your amp has less power than that, at least for higher SPL levels. (Judging by the fact that it outputs 4 W at 16 ohms, and thus in all likelihood a lot less at 50 ohms.)

Aug 1, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #1,837 of 12,284
Aug 1, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,838 of 12,284
The answer is short and sad. No (

Yep, unfortunately that amp will not cut it with the 6. The Ragnarok is fair, by all accounts, but even there you'll get better sound out of a cheaper speaker amp.

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #1,839 of 12,284
Yep, unfortunately that amp will not cut it with the 6. The Ragnarok is fair, by all accounts, but even there you'll get better sound out of a cheaper speaker amp.

The Ragnarok is 10W per channel at 50 ohms. It will drive the HE-6 with more than enough headroom garanteed.

I've heard the HE-6 out of a Mjollnir and it was really damn good.

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #1,840 of 12,284

The Ragnarok is 10W per channel at 50 ohms. It will drive the HE-6 with more than enough headroom garanteed.

From everything ive read you will get better results with a speaker amp than any headphone amp .

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #1,842 of 12,284

The Mjolnir? You're not hearing anything like it's best.

The Ragnarok will drive it, from a power perspective, it's the just the pairing is only fair.

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #1,843 of 12,284
I recently bought the Beyerdynamic DT 860. These Beyerdynamics are rarely mentioned anywhere. These are not the 770, 880 nor 990 but the 860. Beyerdynamic has discontinued the production of this model sometime ago. I have burned these in about 9 hours now and listened them tonight for the first time. I don't really know what say to about these as I don't have much headphone experience and I have no idea how much burn-in these require. The reviews say that these are bright sounding cans that offer bass, treble, dynamics and punch. The bass quantity seems to grow as the burn-in advances.

But has anybody any experience about the DT 860? I have noticed that the more popular models, 770, 880 and 990, have often been mentioned in this thread.

Some reviews:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-dt-860-premium-headphones

http://www.head-fi.org/t/589947/beyerdynamic-dt860-review-dont-treat-it-like-a-step-child

http://www.whathifi.com/beyerdynamic/dt860/review

DT860_schraeg_4c.jpg

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #1,844 of 12,284
Just thought i would let people know the final batch of HE-6 ever are being made now so will be the last chance to get them new, if  a2a are not getting a pair just for me and getting a few pairs im thinking of getting a back up pair ..

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #1,845 of 12,284
  Just thought i would let people know the final batch of HE-6 ever are being made now so will be the last chance to get them new, if  a2a are not getting a pair just for me and getting a few pairs im thinking of getting a back up pair ..

They're discontinuing the HE-6?

Would there be a replacement? The HE1k is NOT at all a replacement for the HE-6 from what I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back