Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Aug 5, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #1,861 of 12,314
Loving the HE6s so far. Don't have another amp to compare to but loving the results I'm getting from the WA5 (k1k output). Sounds has an overwhelming richness (in a positive way) which makes the music incredibly addictive to listen to. Every metal genre I've tried has been amazing.

With that said, I would be interested in a HE6 successor as long as there was a clear improvement in sound quality thats also consistent with the spirit and sound signature of the HE6s. Improvements to just the weight/comfort/or being easier to drive would be negligible.

How's the bass with the HE-6?

I'm looking to upgrade my phones.  The HE-6 has been at the top of the list and I'm about ready to pull the trigger...

Mike

Best. Bass. Evar. Seriously. Pull the trigger, amp it right and ascend directly to audio heaven.

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #1,863 of 12,314
Loving the HE6s so far. Don't have another amp to compare to but loving the results I'm getting from the WA5 (k1k output). Sounds has an overwhelming richness (in a positive way) which makes the music incredibly addictive to listen to. Every metal genre I've tried has been amazing.

With that said, I would be interested in a HE6 successor as long as there was a clear improvement in sound quality thats also consistent with the spirit and sound signature of the HE6s. Improvements to just the weight/comfort/or being easier to drive would be negligible.

You can produce successor for stock HE-6 yourself right now ) Cables/pads/mods/amps combinations are numerous and journey through them is blissful by itself.

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #1,864 of 12,314
Aug 6, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #1,865 of 12,314
Best. Bass. Evar. Seriously. Pull the trigger, amp it right and ascend directly to audio heaven.

Yeah, I love the bass on my HE-6 . I think the Abyss beats it for bass, but seriously only by a hair, which is ridiculous when you consider the price difference.

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #1,866 of 12,314
So this thread made me pull the trigger on an He-6. Also got an Audio gd NFB 10.33. Do you guys think it will have enough juice to drive the HE-6? Can't afford another amp now lol 

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #1,868 of 12,314

6 watts at 50 ohms it should be plenty enough, just get a balanced cable. Unbalanced, not enough.

Thanks, that's a relief! Any recommendations for a nicely built balanced cable? Don't wanna spend too much, as long as the cable is sturdy enough. 

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #1,869 of 12,314
  Thanks, that's a relief! Any recommendations for a nicely built balanced cable? Don't wanna spend too much, as long as the cable is sturdy enough. 

I don't know. I'd go with some randomn cable off ebay like this one

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6-Foot-Custom-HifiMan-Balanced-Headphone-Cable-4-Pin-XLR-Connector-/111735658270?hash=item1a03f6d71e

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #1,870 of 12,314
brilliant, thanks again! Can't wait for the headphones to arrive, already making playlists 

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #1,871 of 12,314
  Beware! "The best" in our audiophile world is a strange beast ))

Don't worry, after the SR-009, I'm getting the Abyss!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #1,873 of 12,314
Looking for a pre-owned HE-500 

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #1,874 of 12,314
  I really want the abyss too. From what I've read it seems perfect for me.

A bit colored, fun and tons of attack and dynamics.

Odd thing is, it's the only headphone I've heard that didn't give me any noticeable problems in the frequency response. It wasn't overly bright or dark. Not sure if it was strictly neutral per se, but it certainly sounded that way. I'm trying to decide whether I should get the Schiit Ragnarok for it when the time comes or perhaps a fancier speaker amp, since I want to add the HE-6 to the collection too. Gotta strategize for the future. I know @preproman uses a really high-end speaker amp for his Abyss. I would also probably have to send it in to Joe (owner of JPS Labs and Abyss Headphones) to get it custom-fitted, because when I auditioned it at a store, I couldn't get it to fit me right no matter what I tried. Had to hold it up to keep it from digging down on my ears, and had to push the pads closer to my ears to get enough of a seal to prevent the extreme distortion that occurs when the gaps in the pads are too large.

Aug 6, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #1,875 of 12,314

Users who are viewing this thread

Back