Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jul 30, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #1,803 of 12,284
  Please do, thanks! What amp you tested them with? Maybe they were under powered because levap rated them as one of the best for black and death metal (especially the fazor ones) so this confuses me quite a bit now.

Tested with Cavalli Liquid Gold so i dont think power was a problem personally i liked lcdx more ,best advice i can give is try and demo what phones your looking at and let your own ears make decision instead of what someone wrote on forum .

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #1,804 of 12,284

Something for 150 dollars that you will tell everyone that sounds better then all of the "Flagships" that you demoed for 15 minutes with gear you were unfamiliar with.

Then you will suggest it to everyone regardless of the question they ask.

Did I win?

Ha. Almost. A STAX SR-207 for $180. (Normally $390.)

(But for the record, I heard the "flagships" for hours, and they sounded the same on both amps/DACs that cost thousands.)

Dude! That's so awesome. I'm so happy that worked out for you! I hope you like them. I'm wondering how that SRM-212 will fare. I've had hugely different results with different Lambdas based on the amp or adaptor they are hooked up to. Awaiting impressions. 
popcorn.gif

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #1,805 of 12,284

Something for 150 dollars that you will tell everyone that sounds better then all of the "Flagships" that you demoed for 15 minutes with gear you were unfamiliar with.

Did I win?

Ha. Almost. A STAX SR-207 for $180. (Normally $390.)

(But for the record, I heard the "flagships" for hours, and they sounded the same on both amps/DACs that cost thousands.)

Here's how I imagine this exchange: 

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #1,806 of 12,284
Please do, thanks! What amp you tested them with? Maybe they were under powered because levap rated them as one of the best for black and death metal (especially the fazor ones) so this confuses me quite a bit now.

Not underpowered on that amp, the LCD-3. The HE-6 might have been though. The HE-6 is a better headphone than the LCD range for metal, and in general. Only reason to buy an Audeze, from my point of view, is if you happen to want their colouration (and nothing wrong with that). I do like the LCD-3f though, for me the best in their range.

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #1,808 of 12,284
So after reading am embarrassing number of pages of this thread, I've concluded that the title needs to be changed to "Headphones for Music Alchemist".

Mid - fi, but the Grado sr325e with the taped ear pads to increase bass and decrease the highs a bit sound nice to my ears for metal. I like lots of tech-death, osdm, black metal, and some progressive metal, and they tear stuff up nicely. Very aggressive sounding and fast. Maybe a good recommendation below the seventeen million dollar mark (or however much a pair of summit fi phones cost).

That is all.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #1,809 of 12,284
So after reading am embarrassing number of pages of this thread, I've concluded that the title needs to be changed to "Headphones for Music Alchemist".

Ahaha!
biggrin.gif

This is one of my favorite threads, so you know...I spend a good deal of time here. But I didn't start posting in this thread until later on. I actually haven't read the entire thread.

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #1,810 of 12,284

Ahaha!
biggrin.gif

This is one of my favorite threads, so you know...I spend a good deal of time here. But I didn't start posting in this thread until later on. I actually haven't read the entire thread.

I just did a search out of curiosity. Your first post is on page 16. Considering we're on page 121 now, I think that makes you an early adopter. :)

Also, I got a huge kick out of this... In your first post you mention that you plan on getting the SR-009 someday! LOL!! If nothing else, you're consistent!

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #1,812 of 12,284
  I just did a search out of curiosity. Your first post is on page 16. Considering we're on page 121 now, I think that makes you an early adopter. :)

Also, I got a huge kick out of this... In your first post you mention that you plan on getting the SR-009 someday! LOL!! If nothing else, you're consistent!

Wow, I had no idea!
eek.gif
I guess it's because that post was half a year after the thread started, and back then, it seemed like a lot of content before me.

And yeah, I've wanted the 009 since I first heard about it. Jude's video review was a milestone for me.

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #1,813 of 12,284

Did I win?

Ouch.

They don't call him the fearless one for nothing.

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #1,814 of 12,284
Guys,
I'm going to Capital Audio Fest at the end of August. Taking my DAC/Pre/HP amp (Nuprime DAC 10H which I use as the brain/nerve center for my speaker system
http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/pages/the-team/home-audio-dacs/dac-10h.html).

I'm hoping to audition some of the big players with the DAC 10H. So, looking for that one set of good cans for my mains.

You guys have me intrigued by the HE-6 which previously wasn't even a thought for me. But a lot of you love it for metal. I found the following review on Inner Fidelity which is pretty critical I would say:

HiFiMAN HE-6 ($1199)
Description - These are full size, open, planar magnetic headphones at the top of the HiFiMAN line.

Pink Noise - Very even through bass and mids; slightly uneven and overall slightly accentuated treble with a moderate low to mid-treble peak (think: "shhh").
Bass Texture/Extension - Very good in both texture and extension with slight bloom to sound.
Bass Slam - Planar magnetic cans typically have the best bass as a class of all headphone types. I found the HE-6 to do quite well in bass slam, but the slight bloom and strong treble to somewhat hinder their ability to hit the low notes hard.
Midrange - I found it a bit difficult to focus on the mids with these cans because of the mildly accentuated treble. The mids are very good, but I couldn't quite get interested with the distraction.
Treble - I find the treble here not only a bit too emphasized, but also having a bit too much "tizz," which obscures the natural sound of cymbals and brushwork.
Dynamics - These are very punchy sounding cans, as planar magnetics tend to be, but unfortunately it seems to me that too much impact is coming from excess treble energy.
Imaging - These deliver a strong sense of space and depth, but image specificity (the ability to separate instruments in space) is not so good. The zazzy highs are simply preventing it.

In defense of the HE-6 would anyone be willing to offer a counter to the claims of accentuated tizzy mid-treble peak that hinder low end slam?

I'm guessing the treble translates well to a lot of extreme metal. But, I need cans that can do genres besides metal.

Thoughts?

Apprec
Mark

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #1,815 of 12,284

Wow, I had no idea! :eek: I guess it's because that post was half a year after the thread started, and back then, it seemed like a lot of content before me.

And yeah, I've wanted the 009 since I first heard about it. Jude's video review was a milestone for me.

So you've only got sixteen pages to go until you've collected them all! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back