Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jul 24, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #1,786 of 12,284
However could you tell me what is so bad about m40x headphones? In every review I read they seem to be admired. Even in very strict reviews I have read, they say that even though not perfect, they are still best value for money.

I used to own the M40x, as well as many other headphones. (See profile.) Its tonality sounded awkward to me. Not sure how to describe it. Didn't really enjoy it much. At least it's more neutral than the M50x, which has far too much bass. (Though you can improve the sound of any headphone with EQ.) Anyway, you may like it. I suggest auditioning various headphones, if possible.

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #1,788 of 12,284
  Are Gemini HSR-1000 and Superlux HD668B any good? These are cheaper but perhaps they are better than the m40x or hd 439 (price is not always quality).

They're good enough to be on my wish list, but that's all I know. Haven't heard them yet.

The Gemini HSR-1000 is actually the same headphone as the more expensive Takstar PRO 80.

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #1,792 of 12,284
  After a big listening session i have made decision put down a deposit and should have my cans in 2 weeks .

The guys at A2A are really great when i got there i told them i was still very keen on HE-6  the salesman i usually deal with got on the phone and organized someone to bring a pair in so i could listen to them as well top service in my opinion .

Here is my personal opinion of the headphones i listened to , all really good  ,but with all headphones they have good and bad points i will list why i didnt buy certain headphones again this my personal opinion everyone has different tastes and i have never reviewed anything in my life .

HD 800 which i asked to be hooked up to warm tube amp because the last time i listened to them they were to bright in the highs .Hooked up to the tube amp the highs were better not as bright but not enough impact in the mids and lows for my taste .

TH 900 I found the mids to be a bit thin and highs a bit bright .

LCD3 I found the lows with fast double bass drum to be a bit muddy and losing some detail .

LCDX I thought these were a lot clearer and cleaner sound than LCD3 but still did not really stack up to finally choice .

HE 1000 As some have mention in other threads i found the mids to be a bit recessed and could not justify the price compared to what i went with .

HE-6 The only headphone that put a smile on my face really enjoyed them so they are going to order me a pair for a price i can get a secondhand pair from the states when you convert usd to aud ,shipping and import charges .I thought it had the best mids out of all the ones i listened to and best overall sound for METAL .Now i just have to find a good amp to drive these i think i have a whole lot more reading to do .

Hi, fazor or non fazor LCD3s?

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #1,794 of 12,284
Jul 30, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #1,796 of 12,284

So which amp did you use to demo the HE-6?

Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold ,i will drive with speaker amp.

Lol! Yeah, that will do it! I'm trying to figure out a palatable solution for driving these. I gotta say, I'm pretty in love with the HE-6 after demoing it at the June Chicago meet. It's at the top of my cans-to-get list.

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #1,797 of 12,284

Lol! Yeah, that will do it! I'm trying to figure out a palatable solution for driving these. I gotta say, I'm pretty in love with the HE-6 after demoing it at the June Chicago meet. It's at the top of my cans-to-get list.

i was impressed with them to i hope to get a call today that the store has received them or i will have to wait for a third week .I am looking at maybe getting Audio gd Master 10 amp to drive them and yggy dac .

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #1,798 of 12,284
Guess what III just goooot!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #1,800 of 12,284
  Something for 150 dollars that you will tell everyone that sounds better then all of the "Flagships" that you demoed for 15 minutes with gear you were unfamiliar with.

Then you will suggest it to everyone regardless of the question they ask.

Did I win?

Ha. Almost. A STAX SR-207 for $180. (Normally $390.)

(But for the record, I heard the "flagships" for hours, and they sounded the same on both amps/DACs that cost thousands.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back