Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jul 22, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #1,771 of 12,314
I listen to power, classical and symphonic mostly and I want to buy some entry level headphones (sub 100 euros). My options seem to be audio technica ath-m40x, sony mdr 7506, shure shr440. What would you suggest or are there any other good headphones for the price?

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #1,772 of 12,314
  I listen to power, classical and symphonic mostly and I want to buy some entry level headphones (sub 100 euros). My options seem to be audio technica ath-m40x, sony mdr 7506, shure shr440. What would you suggest or are there any other good headphones for the price?

I guess you could find v-moda m-80 around that price if you look long enough.

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #1,773 of 12,314

Do they have to be closed back & portable?

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #1,774 of 12,314

I owned the M40x and 7506. I do not recommend either of them, but if I had to, the M40x isn't bright and harsh like the 7506 is. I honestly don't love any headphones in that price range. (Though I still need to hear the Shure.) My favorite non-electrostatic headphone is the Yamaha HPH-MT220. It used to be $150, but was discontinued and is now $250 from most places. You could get lucky and find it for lower than $150, though. It would be much better to just save up for it, because it's really, really good.

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #1,776 of 12,314
  I would prefer them to be portable but if open are better I have no problem with them.

From my experience, the problem with open headphones at or under that price range is that they are very airy sounding, but don't have enough depth and impact for metal. Out of all the open headphones I've owned, the HIFIMAN HE400i is the only one I thought was very good with metal, but it's $500. You're probably better off staying closed for now.

Oh wait, I forgot about my STAX SR-30, which is also open and also my current favorite headphone for all genres. It barely leaks any sound at all and has an intimate soundstage (but excellent instrument separation), so sometimes I forget it's open. lol

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #1,777 of 12,314
I understand you want to recommend me the best possible, but sadly it's out of my budget. Its 100 euros hard limit unfortunately. Since I can not get soundstage I guess it's ok, so I am sticking with closed headphones, although it would be perfect for classical and power metal. Let me get the best possible option in this budget, and maybe in some years I will be able to afford some better real audiophile headphones :)

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #1,778 of 12,314
  I would prefer them to be portable but if open are better I have no problem with them.

If you're looking for portable, I'll second Flipper's recommendation of the V-Moda M-80. It's a really solid headphone and can easily be had for under 100 euros.

IEMs are also a good option. I like the Yamaha EPH-100 quite a bit for all forms of metal. If you're not too sensitive to treble, the V-Sonic GR-07 bass edition or classic and the JVC FXT-90 are good options too, with tons of clarity and soundstage (but some people find them to be a bit sharp (me included)).

Open back is usually better than closed (especially for you genres), but not very portable. Grado SR60e & SR80e are nice options on the cheap, but I'm not sure if getting ahold of them would be an issue in your country.

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #1,780 of 12,314
The GR07s are a bit sharp? Huh, I've found them fairly laid back in the treble, actually.
Well, different strokes for different folks, as they say.

The "a bit sharp" comment was about the FXT-90. I should have re-read before posting.

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #1,781 of 12,314
If anybody is looking for an amazing IEM for metal music, try out the Ultimate ears Super-fi headphones. They are so impactful and separated, with extension in both high and low. I personally preferred the EB version with the huge bass between 20-80 hz. Although it was shelfed a bit up going down in frequency I didn't find it at all fatiguing, and for the price, was AMAZINGLY accurate in low note reproduction.

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #1,782 of 12,314
The v-moda m-80 are very rare in my country, I found only one shop selling V-Moda Crossfade M-80 and it costs 200 euros :frowning2: Basically I noticed that they are sold in US mostly, they are rare and costly everywhere else. Besides that, it seems their pads are not replacable (correct me if I'm wrong), it's quite important for me to be able to change pads if they don't fit me.

Anything else besides v-moda m80? I am still inclining towards m40x, or sennheiser hd 439, however if these are bad I do not want to waste money.

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #1,783 of 12,314
  The v-moda m-80 are very rare in my country, I found only one shop selling V-Moda Crossfade M-80 and it costs 200 euros :frowning2: Basically I noticed that they are sold in US mostly, they are rare and costly everywhere else. Besides that, it seems their pads are not replacable (correct me if I'm wrong), it's quite important for me to be able to change pads if they don't fit me.

Anything else besides v-moda m80? I am still inclining towards m40x, or sennheiser hd 439, however if these are bad I do not want to waste money.

What brands do you have access? Does it have strict import laws? Because eBay could be the way to go. Personally, I'd stay away from these two models.

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #1,784 of 12,314

What brands do you have access? Does it have strict import laws? Because eBay could be the way to go. Personally, I'd stay away from these two models.

I have access in most famous entry-mid range brands such as Sennheiser, AKG, audio-technica, denon, sony etc. But it seems their models on this price range are mediocre. I guess I will have to compromise for now.

However could you tell me what is so bad about m40x headphones? In every review I read they seem to be admired. Even in very strict reviews I have read, they say that even though not perfect, they are still best value for money.

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #1,785 of 12,314
  I have access in most famous entry-mid range brands such as Sennheiser, AKG, audio-technica, denon, sony etc. But it seems their models on this price range are mediocre. I guess I will have to compromise for now.

However could you tell me what is so bad about m40x headphones? In every review I read they seem to be admired. Even in very strict reviews I have read, they say that even though not perfect, they are still best value for money.

I tried them and think they are very boring for metal and just bad value IMO.

I still don't see why eBay is not an option. Here are a 135 Euros pair of m80.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/V-MODA-Crossfade-M-80-On-Ear-Kopfhorer-Shadow-NEU-OVP-/111720275942?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item1a030c1fe6

In those brands, I'd go with AKG k167 Tiesto model (great reviews). 99 Euros here

http://www.ebay.de/itm/AKG-K167-TIESTO-Kopfbugel-Kopfhorer-Schwarz-Silber-/221831836049?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item33a6353191

Beyer DT-770 32 ohm edition

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-Pro-32-Ohm-The-Studio-Legend-Kopfhorer-RETOURE-/251375514912?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3a8725f520

If you are in the Euro zone, there are no import duties. Order from anywhere and have fun.

I'd go with the IEM recommandations in this case. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back