Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jul 18, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #1,741 of 12,315

hehe! Guess that type of thing is just as likely.

You've been into metal for a little longer than I've lived. Feel free to join us in the metal thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/397407/lets-talk-metal

Thanks for making me feel old lol i will check it out .

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #1,742 of 12,315
I was mainly asking about a sound comparison between the two. I got to hear them all, but due to the tricky fit of the Abyss, I don't think I properly heard it.

If I recall, you preferred the HE-6 over the Abyss, even if the Abyss is better in certain ways. I will surely get them both sooner or later, but only after I take care of the electrostatic side of things. (So in love with STAX!)

I did the last time, but a further audition on different gear made me re-evaluate. Even then, they're close. It's hard to rationalise the price of the Abyss given the same money on the 6 will buy you an excellent rig from end to end (but then at that end of the audio buying spectrum rationality has little to do with it). I'm probably looking at a fairly serious speaker amp to fit into my rig next, the Abyss could be on my radar after that.

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #1,744 of 12,315
I'm amazed that there is not more talk about the alpha prime for metal as I absolutely love it.
I have been able to compare it to the th900 on a cavali liquid glass.
While the th900 has a slightly bigger soundstage and a more refined bass with more layers. It's sound is U shaped and the mids gets a bit recessed and I think on some death metal recordings the lows just become messy and it becomes to much lows.

The alpha prime also have a big soundstage for a closed headphone they don't sit as loose on your head with its clamping force and the lamp leather pads are super comfy. They don't leak as much sound as the th900 but it still leaks a bit.

The lows on the prime has superb control and just the right amount without to much like the th900.
The mids are more forward on the primes and that is in my opinion a better thing for vocals and guitar in heavy metal compared to the th900

Then there is the ability to use the Tuning dots on the primes to further adjust the sound in the mids and highs as you like it.
And your able to change cables on them aswell compared to the th900

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #1,745 of 12,315
  I got around to trying out some ZMF Cowhide Pads on my Ultrasone Signature Pro. I think I'm going to have to sell some other stuff I wasn't planning on when I purchased my HE-400. Lol. Maybe I'll post an IC to see if anyone wants to buy my stock pads for something less than the $200 Ultrasone charges for a  replacement pair of them new.

Why are they $200? Not even the most expensive STAX pads are that much.
ph34r.gif

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #1,746 of 12,315
Jul 19, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #1,748 of 12,315
Why are they $200? Not even the most expensive STAX pads are that much. :ph34r:

I guess Ultrasone think their 'genuine estonian lamb skin' used in the pads are worth that kinda $. I'm with you and probably everyone else on the planet thinking that $200 is less than reasonable.

Can you tell if the ZMF cowhide pads will fit the plastic mounting ring for the HE400?

I could check later today, but Zach already tried his pads on his own HE-500; the drivers are the same size, no? He might be able to answer that directly and sooner than I can.

edit: I got a response back.
"Yeah they do fit! I have a pair of the protein pads on my he500 right now and quite like them." -zach915m

Thanks!

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #1,749 of 12,315
Currently have the Fidelio X2 and quite like it, but was wondering how the HD650 would perform compared to it (I'm still within the return period of the X2)?  Symphonic metal and power metal for me.

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #1,750 of 12,315
Currently have the Fidelio X2 and quite like it, but was wondering how the HD650 would perform compared to it (I'm still within the return period of the X2)?  Symphonic metal and power metal for me.

Depends on the amp. I find Fidelios tend to sound better with more reasonably priced equipment. YMMV. However, the HD650 has that weird scalability factor. They sound way different with a $200 amp and a $1,000 TOTL amp. I feel they sound a bit muddy and veiled unless they are getting primo juice... To the point that I don't like them very much. Again, YMMV.

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #1,751 of 12,315

I'd say it's decent with metal, but not ideal. Electrostats sound so much better than everything else, at least to me.

Depends on the amp. I find Fidelios tend to sound better with more reasonably priced equipment. YMMV. However, the HD650 has that weird scalability factor. They sound way different with a $200 amp and a $1,000 TOTL amp. I feel they sound a bit muddy and veiled unless they are getting primo juice... To the point that I don't like them very much. Again, YMMV.

Although I would describe the HD 650 as somewhat warm, smooth, and veiled, it thankfully wasn't very muddy for me, even driven from a Schiit Fulla. I should hear it from a "primo" amp. hehe

Oh hey! I almost forgot. I may buy an original STAX SR-Lambda soon. That's the same one you have, I think. But I need to decide whether or not to go for the SR-407 instead.

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #1,752 of 12,315

I'd say it's decent with metal, but not ideal. Electrostats sound so much better than everything else, at least to me.

Although I would describe the HD 650 as somewhat warm, smooth, and veiled, it thankfully wasn't very muddy for me, even driven from a Schiit Fulla. I should hear it from a "primo" amp. hehe

Oh hey! I almost forgot. I may buy an original STAX SR-Lambda soon. That's the same one you have, I think. But I need to decide whether or not to go for the SR-407 instead.

Truth. Electrostatic is where it's at.

By muddy, I just mean the bass decay feels a little long and loose to me on some amps. Then again, I listen to a lot of really fast stuff, so take that for what it's worth. On the other hand, I think the HD650 sounds great with Opeth's Damnation. I also think the 650 has a funny little synergy with some CMOYs which makes bowed basses and cellos sound really magical. I dunno. I have complex feelings about it. I think it's really geared to be musical and syrupy sounding. If you roll with that and maximize it, it can be great. But it's a touch pricey to get the best sound out of it (depending on what you want). If you can get your hands on a nice OTL amp like the Bottlehead Crack, it's totally worth it.

On the Lambdas - I saw that on the STAX thread. I'm still really loving the SR-Lambda. It's a touch bright in the highs sometimes, but I bet that has more to do with my chain than the headphone itself. I haven't tried the 407, but I have tried the cryo-treated 404 Airbow, and it was really great. If you'd get your butt out of the house and down to Chicago for the meet on 8/08, I'd bring the Lambda for you to try! 
evil_smiley.gif
 I'm sure there will be some higher end STAX there as well... AND I believe the DHARMA is making an appearance... 
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #1,753 of 12,315
  On the Lambdas - I saw that on the STAX thread. I'm still really loving the SR-Lambda. It's a touch bright in the highs sometimes, but I bet that has more to do with my chain than the headphone itself. I haven't tried the 407, but I have tried the cryo-treated 404 Airbow, and it was really great.

I'm leaning towards the 407, partially due to the fact that there are quality issues with the older Lambdas. Someone I talked to today told me that two original Lambdas he owned both had serious problems with the cables getting old and cutting out, to the point that he had to repair them himself. Although it's a bit more expensive, I get the feeling that the 407 will sound better too. I heard it's nearly as good as the much more expensive 507. I've made arrangements to purchase an SRM-212 amp for an amazing price from that same person I mentioned, if I get the 407.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #1,754 of 12,315

I'm leaning towards the 407, partially due to the fact that there are quality issues with the older Lambdas. Someone I talked to today told me that two original Lambdas he owned both had serious problems with the cables getting old and cutting out, to the point that he had to repair them himself. Although it's a bit more expensive, I get the feeling that the 407 will sound better too. I heard it's nearly as good as the much more expensive 507. I've made arrangements to purchase an SRM-212 amp for an amazing price from that same person I mentioned, if I get the 407.

Considering how the 507 is metal and true leather, it's not really surprising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back