Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jul 18, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #1,726 of 12,315
I remember you! I helped you out in various threads.
normal_smile%20.gif

I liked the HD 558 too when I briefly auditioned it. It's so affordable that I'll probably buy it in the future, just for kicks, even though I'm focusing on high-end electrostats now.

Yes you did!

I went through quite a lot of headphones in the last 6 months but I think I'm gonna stick with the HD558 for a while. I'm sure there are 'better' maybe even the HD600 or something but for the price, I'm really happy with it.

The comfort is there. The fit is perfect for me. I had the AKG K7XX for quite a while and I like the HD558 better. Plus the pads on the k7xx are too big for my bony head and created gaps around my temple area so I couldn't get a good fit. But the hd558 is more aggressive and has more extended treble and a little stronger mid bass, while the k7xx may extend into the sub bass a little better.

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #1,727 of 12,315
After a big listening session i have made decision put down a deposit and should have my cans in 2 weeks .

The guys at A2A are really great when i got there i told them i was still very keen on HE-6  the salesman i usually deal with got on the phone and organized someone to bring a pair in so i could listen to them as well top service in my opinion .

Here is my personal opinion of the headphones i listened to , all really good  ,but with all headphones they have good and bad points i will list why i didnt buy certain headphones again this my personal opinion everyone has different tastes and i have never reviewed anything in my life .

HD 800 which i asked to be hooked up to warm tube amp because the last time i listened to them they were to bright in the highs .Hooked up to the tube amp the highs were better not as bright but not enough impact in the mids and lows for my taste .

TH 900 I found the mids to be a bit thin and highs a bit bright .

LCD3 I found the lows with fast double bass drum to be a bit muddy and losing some detail .

LCDX I thought these were a lot clearer and cleaner sound than LCD3 but still did not really stack up to finally choice .

HE 1000 As some have mention in other threads i found the mids to be a bit recessed and could not justify the price compared to what i went with .

HE-6 The only headphone that put a smile on my face really enjoyed them so they are going to order me a pair for a price i can get a secondhand pair from the states when you convert usd to aud ,shipping and import charges .I thought it had the best mids out of all the ones i listened to and best overall sound for METAL .Now i just have to find a good amp to drive these i think i have a whole lot more reading to do .

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #1,728 of 12,315
Congrats, as an HE-6 diehard I think you made the right decision.

...and yes, they're absolutely fantastic there at A2A.

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #1,729 of 12,315
Congrats, as an HE-6 diehard I think you made the right decision.

...and yes, they're absolutely fantastic there at A2A.

Thanks what amp are you using to drive them .

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #1,730 of 12,315
Thanks what amp are you using to drive them .

CMA800R monoblocks, although probably getting a speaker amp sometime for the 6 (+/- some actual speakers). There are so many options, research lots and audition stacks of amps if you can.

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #1,731 of 12,315
After a big listening session i have made decision put down a deposit and should have my cans in 2 weeks .

The guys at A2A are really great when i got there i told them i was still very keen on HE-6  the salesman i usually deal with got on the phone and organized someone to bring a pair in so i could listen to them as well top service in my opinion .

Here is my personal opinion of the headphones i listened to , all really good  ,but with all headphones they have good and bad points i will list why i didnt buy certain headphones again this my personal opinion everyone has different tastes and i have never reviewed anything in my life .

HD 800 which i asked to be hooked up to warm tube amp because the last time i listened to them they were to bright in the highs .Hooked up to the tube amp the highs were better not as bright but not enough impact in the mids and lows for my taste .

LCD3 I found the lows with fast double bass drum to be a bit muddy and losing some detail .

LCDX I thought these were a lot clearer and cleaner sound than LCD3 but still did not really stack up to finally choice .

HE 1000 As some have mention in other threads i found the mids to be a bit recessed and could not justify the price compared to what i went with .

HE-6 The only headphone that put a smile on my face really enjoyed them so they are going to order me a pair for a price i can get a secondhand pair from the states when you convert usd to aud ,shipping and import charges .I thought it had the best mids out of all the ones i listened to and best overall sound for METAL .Now i just have to find a good amp to drive these i think i have a whole lot more reading to do .

Congrats on the HE-6! I've tried most all of those, and I'd say you made the right choice. The HE-6 is just such an emotional and exciting listen in so many ways. If I was in your shoes, I would have probably gone the same way. :)

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #1,732 of 12,315
  Hm, maybe they changed their policy. My best friend lives near there and auditioned STAX there before.

Turns out I was wrong. My friend told me this:

A2A never let people audition STAX. They made an exception for me

Any thoughts on how the HE-6 and Abyss compare? When I heard the Abyss, HE1000, HE-6, and HD 800 on a MOON Neo430HA with my own music, the Abyss and HE-6 were the only ones that I would consider buying anytime soon due to how direct and straightforward they sounded. The HE-6 was a little brighter and was about ten times easier to get it to fit.

That's awesome that they set you up with such a great deal. Not even sure how they could get you such a low price.

So are you going to get a speaker amp like many HE-6 owners do?

Did you find out why they don't let people audition STAX, if they have them in stock?

Jul 18, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #1,733 of 12,315

The HE-6 are truly great. They are the reason I bought the HE-500 sight unseen and I don't regret my decision (the he-500 were designed to be a less power hungry he-6).

Jul 18, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #1,734 of 12,315
CMA800R monoblocks, although probably getting a speaker amp sometime for the 6 (+/- some actual speakers). There are so many options, research lots and audition stacks of amps if you can.

I have been researching like mad i will audition some amps when i pick them up in 2 weeks from a2a but i think i have made a decision already will explain further down in this post .

Turns out I was wrong. My friend told me this:

Any thoughts on how the HE-6 and Abyss compare? When I heard the Abyss, HE1000, HE-6, and HD 800 on a MOON Neo430HA with my own music, the Abyss and HE-6 were the only ones that I would consider buying anytime soon due to how direct and straightforward they sounded. The HE-6 was a little brighter and was about ten times easier to get it to fit.

That's awesome that they set you up with such a great deal. Not even sure how they could get you such a low price.

So are you going to get a speaker amp like many HE-6 owners do?

Did you find out why they don't let people audition STAX, if they have them in stock?

I listened to Abyss couple of weeks ago along with HE 1000 i thought Abyss sounded a bit better than HE-1000 but for the price which 5999 aud for the Abyss  i think the HE-6 is a bargain nothing i listened to 2 weeks ago or yesterday put a smile on my face like HE-6 did.

I think the low price is from being a good customer for quite a few years now .

I am building my own speakers at the moment with all scanspeak drivers and need to buy a good amp to power these so i think i will use same amp to power speakers and headphones just change cables over when i want to use one or the other .Im looking at an Australian built amp made by Holton Audio which is 260watts @4ohm dual mono his amp and amp modules have some very good reviews from all over the world .

They told me Stax were very sensitive to light and dust and there showroom was not the best demo room for this but will maybe look at doing something in the future .

The HE-6 are truly great. They are the reason I bought the HE-500 sight unseen and I don't regret my decision (the he-500 were designed to be a less power hungry he-6).

Yes i think there really great im glad your happy with your decision as this is all that really matters that your happy i could not buy with out listening so happy a2a got a pair of HE-6 in to demo for me or i might have got something else yesterday .

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #1,735 of 12,315
I think the Abyss is slightly better than the 6, imaging/soundstage being the main areas it's ahead in (and bass, although not to the same extent). That said, there is really very little in it when the 6 is well-driven.

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #1,736 of 12,315
I listened to Abyss couple of weeks ago along with HE 1000 i thought Abyss sounded a bit better than HE-1000 but for the price which 5999 aud for the Abyss  i think the HE-6 is a bargain nothing i listened to 2 weeks ago or yesterday put a smile on my face like HE-6 did.

I was mainly asking about a sound comparison between the two. I got to hear them all, but due to the tricky fit of the Abyss, I don't think I properly heard it.

I think the Abyss is slightly better than the 6, imaging/soundstage being the main areas it's ahead in (and bass, although not to the same extent). That said, there is really very little in it when the 6 is well-driven.

If I recall, you preferred the HE-6 over the Abyss, even if the Abyss is better in certain ways. I will surely get them both sooner or later, but only after I take care of the electrostatic side of things. (So in love with STAX!)

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #1,737 of 12,315

Yes i agree but didnt think it was 4600 aud better than the 6 .

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #1,739 of 12,315

I think it's so awesome that you just joined yesterday and already found our little thread! The first post should be entertaining, if you haven't read it already.

I read the whole thread before i joined forum  , i have been in to metal for 30 years  , this thread was exactly what i was looking for before i made a purchase .

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #1,740 of 12,315
  I read the whole thread before i joined forum  , i have been in to metal for 30 years  , this thread was exactly what i was looking for before i made a purchase .

hehe! Guess that type of thing is just as likely.

You've been into metal for a little longer than I've lived. Feel free to join us in the metal thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/397407/lets-talk-metal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back