Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jul 9, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #1,696 of 12,322
@Hansotek

Look at the little addition to my signature. hehe. Next best thing to your joke, I guess. And it may simplify things for those who ask me about what I plan on getting next. Decided to forget about other stuff for now and just focus on the SR-009, since I shouldn't be spending any considerable amount of money on things I don't need anyway until I take care of more important things. The SR-30 is more than good enough to tide me over until then. (And the other headphones I wanted to get soon would have cost over a grand altogether, which would have hindered my 009 budget.)

So I was listening to a few Slipknot tracks on my STAX today and couldn't believe how much better it sounded. I'm not much of a fan of the band, but do love a few songs. They sound so much more raw (in a good, acoustic way) on these headphones. On other headphones, they sound more compressed.

And now I'm listening to Fear Factory on the STAX. Jeesh, these sound so much better (to me at least) than everything else, with pretty much all music.

That's funny! Yeah, that electrostatic sound is killer for metal. I still loving the Lambda (SB). It's so fast and effortless. I tried the SRM-1 MkII at the last meet, and I'm pretty excited about that as a future upgrade. Very nice resolving power for such a reasonably priced amp. Just need to find a good deal on one with normal and pro bias.

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #1,697 of 12,322

Fellas, if you get the chance to hear the ENIGMAaccoustics Dharma at the meet, I'd love to hear your reaction. I heard the combo their going to have-Dharma with Athena amp at a meet in May in the D.C area. It was a prototype. Reason I'm asking is I'm friends with a local dealer and think I might get a little bit of a deal-not much but maybe $100 or so knocked off...maybe. The pricing is probably pretty controlled as it's brand new.

That's one of the most interesting headphones I know of, since it has both an electrostatic driver for the mids and treble and a dynamic driver for the bass. Definitely plan on getting it somewhere along the line. I wonder what its amplification requirements are, like if it needs an electrostatic amp or can work with a conventional one.

It works with a conventional-type amplifier. The electrostatic tweeter is self-biasing.

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #1,698 of 12,322
That's funny! Yeah, that electrostatic sound is killer for metal. I still loving the Lambda (SB). It's so fast and effortless. I tried the SRM-1 MkII at the last meet, and I'm pretty excited about that as a future upgrade. Very nice resolving power for such a reasonably priced amp. Just need to find a good deal on one with normal and pro bias.

Cool. Once I get the SR-009, I will probably buy a STAX SRM-323S from someone who modified the voltage to work in the US.

It works with a conventional-type amplifier. The electrostatic tweeter is self-biasing.

OMG, awesome. That boosts that headphone's priority for me. Wonder if it's better than the SR-009 in any way.

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #1,699 of 12,322
The last meet was my first, and it was awesome! I hope you make it, I'd love to hang out with at least one of my metal bros from my fav thread!

Fellas, if you get the chance to hear the ENIGMAaccoustics Dharma at the meet, I'd love to hear your reaction. I heard the combo their going to have-Dharma with Athena amp at a meet in May in the D.C area. It was a prototype. Reason I'm asking is I'm friends with a local dealer and think I might get a little bit of a deal-not much but maybe $100 or so knocked off...maybe. The pricing is probably pretty controlled as it's brand new.

I liked it after a brief listen. The other can I spent some time with was the 560. I'm tempted by the LCD-X, but I'd like to keep my purchase around 1K.I liked it overall, but as usual wish I could have spent more time w/ metal than I did. Have fun!

Word is that it will be there. I will most definitely be trying to get my hands on it for a demo! I heard the bass wasn't super tight on the touring demo. I hope they've tightened it up for the production version. I can't be having sloppy kicks on my metals!

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #1,700 of 12,322

Cool. Once I get the SR-009, I will probably buy a STAX SRM-323S from someone who modified the voltage to work in the US.

OMG, awesome. That boosts that headphone's priority for me. Wonder if it's better than the SR-009 in any way.

I sincerely doubt it's better than the SR-009, but if I get a chance to compare them head-to-head at the Chicago meet or RMAF, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be posting all about it in this thread!

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #1,701 of 12,322
I sincerely doubt it's better than the SR-009, but if I get a chance to compare them head-to-head at the Chicago meet or RMAF, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be posting all about it in this thread!

That's why I included the qualifier "in any way", since it could be better in a few categories. No way it could be better in every way.
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #1,702 of 12,322
Word is that it will be there. I will most definitely be trying to get my hands on it for a demo! I heard the bass wasn't super tight on the touring demo. I hope they've tightened it up for the production version. I can't be having sloppy kicks on my metals!

They're using their Athena which is A1 Single-Ended Triode Vacuum Tube Hybrid Headphone Amplifier. I was wondering if my solid state amp would tighten the base up. I'm working in knowledge deficit here. Just thinking in stereo equipment you find tube gear often has a soft, less defined bass...or, uh something like that
tongue.gif

When I was demoing sort of highish end tube gear-I'm taking speakers, now, I found it sounded gorgeous with everything pretty much EXCEPT extreme metal. Even proto metal/hard rock was fine. But, with the technical razor sharp fast edge of modern extreme metal it just lacked that muscle and definition. The razor's edge so to speak that with other genres might be fatiguing or too forward, etc.

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #1,703 of 12,322

That's why I included the qualifier "in any way", since it could be better in a few categories. No way it could be better in every way. :D

Ah. Well, I heard the soundstage is HD800 sized, so it might have a point there... We'll see. I can't wait to try it!

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #1,704 of 12,322

They're using their Athena which is A1 Single-Ended Triode Vacuum Tube Hybrid Headphone Amplifier. I was wondering if my solid state amp would tighten the base up. I'm working in knowledge deficit here. Just thinking in stereo equipment you find tube gear often has a soft, less defined bass...or, uh something like that :p  

When I was demoing sort of highish end tube gear-I'm taking speakers, now, I found it sounded gorgeous with everything pretty much EXCEPT extreme metal. Even proto metal/hard rock was fine. But, with the technical razor sharp fast edge of modern extreme metal it just lacked that muscle and definition. The razor's edge so to speak that with other genres might be fatiguing or too forward, etc.

Yeah, hopefully I can try it with a solid state too. I don't like any kind of edge blurring with my fast stuff. I need precision. I don't know if the Athena was really the issue though. The production version may have evolved a little, so we'll see.

Jul 10, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #1,706 of 12,322
Welp, I've decided to [try to] sell my Sig Pro after all. If I can make enough $$$ between them and some other sales, I'm going to try and buy a TH900 (used most likely). I doubt that I'll make enough to buy both a DT770/32 and a TH900 at the same time. I think I can live without a portable hp for awhile if I'm sacrificing the luxury of portable listening for a potential TH900. ;P
edit: check out what my ears did to my ATH-M50's pads back in the day. *cringe* My ears still hate me for subjecting them to that torture.

Whoa, now your avatar is the cover of Finch's What It Is To Burn album! I used to have a rare demo version of that album, but lost it. Really upset about it, because I can't find it anywhere online and liked it more than the studio version. Only one or two of the demo tracks were ever released on CD.

Wait, so the M50 pads are on-ear for you? They totally surround my ears with ample room to spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back