Headphone Sightings 2
Feb 13, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #811 of 12,415
I just got back from Tokyo. Now is it just me or have others noticed that full sized headphones/high quailty headphones are more commonly worn there than anywhere else in the world?

Just in one subway trip, I noticed at least 4 Ety4s/p, and a half dozen various Shures. Also many full sized Sony's and AT's. The largest I saw was an AD1000.

I'd guess about 1 in 10 people had headphones on. And out of those wearing headphones, about 70% earbuds/IEMS, 20% mid-sized, and 10% full-sized.

For comparison, around Shanghai subways, a litte more than half the people wear no name earbuds. In 10 years here, I've only seen a pair of SR60 and E2c outside.

Feb 13, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #812 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday morning on the el I saw a girl with some big black Koss cans on. They were sealed circumaural and it looked like the outside of the enclosure was brushed plastic or something. On the right driver there was what appeared to be a circular thing, maybe a volume knob, right above the Koss logo. It looked kind of interesting and it seemed like it would isolate a lot. Anyone know what it is?

Perhaps QZ99?
http://www.ireviewelectronics.com/wp...headphones.jpg

Feb 13, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #813 of 12,415
I've seen one guy wearing HD595s around campus, and a guy down the hall from me has VD-700s.

I've also seen marshmallows everywhere.

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #815 of 12,415
I've not had much luck in Ottawa in the last 6 months or so I've seen:

Shure e4cs
Sennheiser hd 595s
Grado sr-60/80s x 2

A few bose and a ton of sony

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #816 of 12,415
Quote:

Yesterday morning on the el I saw a girl with some big black Koss cans on. They were sealed circumaural and it looked like the outside of the enclosure was brushed plastic or something. On the right driver there was what appeared to be a circular thing, maybe a volume knob, right above the Koss logo. It looked kind of interesting and it seemed like it would isolate a lot. Anyone know what it is?

Quote:

Originally Posted by martinq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps QZ99?
http://www.ireviewelectronics.com/wp...headphones.jpg

Quote:

That's it. ...

Girl with QZ99 in public!?!? I am sooooo jealous on you. Oh how much I wish I could see her
frown.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #817 of 12,415
Saw a pair of SR-60's in the mall the other day. That's it really
frown.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #819 of 12,415
Alright, this may be my only hi-fi headphone sighting ever, so I want you to tell me what it is (Around northeast Ohio, and at Akron University, nobody cares about sound quality).

I saw someone in the Kent Starbucks wearing what looks just like these

Amazon.com: Skullcandy SC-PRODJ2 SK Pro DJ Headphones (Blue): Electronics
or maybe these

Amazon.com: Audio Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitoring Headphones: Electronics

They had nice looking leather earpads, obviously closed back, but on the back of the cup was an oval ring that was gray in color. All black otherwise. It seems closer to the Skulls, the hinges were pretty distinctive. Oh! and it also had a one-sided spiral cable. He was using a Zune 30.

Feb 15, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #820 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, this may be my only hi-fi headphone sighting ever, so I want you to tell me what it is (Around northeast Ohio, and at Akron University, nobody cares about sound quality).

I saw someone in the Kent Starbucks wearing what looks just like these

Amazon.com: Skullcandy SC-PRODJ2 SK Pro DJ Headphones (Blue): Electronics
or maybe these

Amazon.com: Audio Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitoring Headphones: Electronics

They had nice looking leather earpads, obviously closed back, but on the back of the cup was an oval ring that was gray in color. All black otherwise. It seems closer to the Skulls, the hinges were pretty distinctive. Oh! and it also had a one-sided spiral cable. He was using a Zune 30.

the other pics of the AT's show it haveing a spiraled/coiled cord.

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #823 of 12,415
I was riding the rail here in Houston today and saw someone with custom IEMs!

Lime green, with black cord. I was very jealous.

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #824 of 12,415
I saw a homeless person down by the river wearing some ear clip type Sony's using an old portable cassette deck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back