Headphone Sightings 2
Feb 4, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #3,421 of 12,415
Quote:
Hm. I directly associated "skullcandy/wesc" with the color. But then again I'm about to buy the most hideous cans on the market, the glorious DT-150. My HD25 usually already draws attention of the "Uuuh, oldtimers!"-kind. 
biggrin.gif
That MDR-V150 looks like it has a split headband too, does it? 

I saw the DT150 a few days back while shopping online for a new audio interface. I started to want the headphones pretty badly.  I wanted a new firewire mixer.  I have plenty of both and should not be buying anything nice for myself.  Especially this month.

There is in fact a split in the MDR-V150 headband, though it's not the functional split that you see on particular Senn or Beyer models.  But I do have two of these headbands now, so you've once again got me thinking...
very_evil_smiley.gif

And yes, the exuberant color schemes are typically the domain of certain brands of headphones, and around here at least, those are considered lesser quality headphones.  People buy them when the image and brand identity is not less important than the sound.  But why should they have all the fun?  Can't my serious headphones go blonde, so to speak?  And if I like to wear MDR-V150's but dislike their sound, why not change them, at once making an ironic statement about the color, form factor, reputation, and altogether consumerist nature of the many little demons that make up this industry that have gotten their teeth into audiophiles and pseudo-audiophiles alike?

So I am scheming to do an overhaul mod.  Take the "studio monitor" cans the audiophiles hate (and it's a strong word, but if you've seen the discourse of the V150 around these parts you'd understand) and wear them proudly.  There will not be Sony drivers involved.  There may even be some SPC.  They'll be the supra-aurals that Sony should have made.  Then I'll paint them.  Like I said, it was going to be a subtle and sublime sort of color scheme, but you're making me want to go neon and UV reactive.  What kind of knockoff trade name can I give my headphones then?  "Beats your Dre's?"  "Sweet Head?"  "Fuglies?"  "Sparkling Personality a.k.a. Beautiful Inside?" 

Looks like I might have to start a thread in DIY.

More on topic, I think I saw some V-Moda Vibes today, connected to an iPhone.  They had a metallic finish on the housing, very thin cord, and an ugly pink tacky fingernail color.

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #3,422 of 12,415
Today I was at at Staples, Office Max, and Best Buy, and at each there were at least two displays for Beats and four for skullcandy... ugh. I can see why these are so popular.

Saw an old man using some supraaural wireless Logitech headphones with his laptop.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #3,423 of 12,415
A few weeks ago, i walking home from class, i saw a cute asian girl with a pair of Denon AH-D2000s walking towards campus; first time i've seen Denons outside in the frigid winter.

And just yesterday, i saw an upper year in my program with a pair Sennheiser HD 515s in the computer lab. Nothing too special, but hey, better than the beats i see on my friend every day.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #3,424 of 12,415
Another pair of SR-60s, but this time on the SI Ferry! 
gs1000.gif

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #3,425 of 12,415
Spotted a pair of AKG K430's in white today on campus. Took a bit of wrangling to get close enough to see what they were.

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #3,426 of 12,415

Quote:
Quote:
Hm. I directly associated "skullcandy/wesc" with the color. But then again I'm about to buy the most hideous cans on the market, the glorious DT-150. My HD25 usually already draws attention of the "Uuuh, oldtimers!"-kind. 
biggrin.gif
That MDR-V150 looks like it has a split headband too, does it? 

I saw the DT150 a few days back while shopping online for a new audio interface. I started to want the headphones pretty badly.  I wanted a new firewire mixer.  I have plenty of both and should not be buying anything nice for myself.  Especially this month.

There is in fact a split in the MDR-V150 headband, though it's not the functional split that you see on particular Senn or Beyer models.  But I do have two of these headbands now, so you've once again got me thinking...
very_evil_smiley.gif

And yes, the exuberant color schemes are typically the domain of certain brands of headphones, and around here at least, those are considered lesser quality headphones.  People buy them when the image and brand identity is not less important than the sound.  But why should they have all the fun?  Can't my serious headphones go blonde, so to speak?  And if I like to wear MDR-V150's but dislike their sound, why not change them, at once making an ironic statement about the color, form factor, reputation, and altogether consumerist nature of the many little demons that make up this industry that have gotten their teeth into audiophiles and pseudo-audiophiles alike?

So I am scheming to do an overhaul mod.  Take the "studio monitor" cans the audiophiles hate (and it's a strong word, but if you've seen the discourse of the V150 around these parts you'd understand) and wear them proudly.  There will not be Sony drivers involved.  There may even be some SPC.  They'll be the supra-aurals that Sony should have made.  Then I'll paint them.  Like I said, it was going to be a subtle and sublime sort of color scheme, but you're making me want to go neon and UV reactive.  What kind of knockoff trade name can I give my headphones then?  "Beats your Dre's?"  "Sweet Head?"  "Fuglies?"  "Sparkling Personality a.k.a. Beautiful Inside?" 

More on topic, I think I saw some V-Moda Vibes today, connected to an iPhone.  They had a metallic finish on the housing, very thin cord, and an ugly pink tacky fingernail color.

You could catch hold of a pair of Beats, gut out the drivers for something decent, scrape that insipid "b" off the cups, paint'em up, and give them a purposely-provocative name. Something like "Fanny Wang."

Oh, wait....
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #3,427 of 12,415

You could catch hold of a pair of Beats, gut out the drivers for something decent, scrape that insipid "b" off the cups, paint'em up, and give them a purposely-provocative name. Something like "Fanny Wang."

Oh, wait....
biggrin.gif

I didn't know what you were referring to, so I googled it very briefly.

OMG.

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #3,429 of 12,415

Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

So, I read up on that MDR-V150, there seems indeed to be somewhat of a strange discussion. Now this might annoy you, but as far as I can see these are the basic model of sonys MDR-Vxxx-series and are availlable for € 25. Now I've not heard them but I'm sceptical that they will sound very good. 

One question remains from my side: you wrote "the "studio monitor" cans the audiophiles hate"  I don't know the proper definition of "audiophile" but as far as I read here there is much discussion about studio-headphones and no general hatred seems to be present. There even are "appreciation-threads" for several very explicit studio-cans like (to quote the extreme) the DT48. 

On toppic: Saw one K271 Mk.I while shopping for groceries and earlier a pair of Sennheiser PX200s. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #3,430 of 12,415
I think everyone is talking about the Beats by Dr. Dre Studio cans

Quote:

Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

So, I read up on that MDR-V150, there seems indeed to be somewhat of a strange discussion. Now this might annoy you, but as far as I can see these are the basic model of sonys MDR-Vxxx-series and are availlable for € 25. Now I've not heard them but I'm sceptical that they will sound very good. 

One question remains from my side: you wrote "the "studio monitor" cans the audiophiles hate"  I don't know the proper definition of "audiophile" but as far as I read here there is much discussion about studio-headphones and no general hatred seems to be present. There even are "appreciation-threads" for several very explicit studio-cans like (to quote the extreme) the DT48. 

On toppic: Saw one K271 Mk.I while shopping for groceries and earlier a pair of Sennheiser PX200s. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #3,432 of 12,415
I was at UCLA working for a bit yesterday. Saw so many headphones, normal ipod earbuds mainly, then no name earbuds or in ears i couldn't id.  There were about three pairs of Beats, with the wearers looking very smug if i may say so, there were about five pairs of Bose and happily there were three pairs of Sennheiser's.  The Senns were 201 or 202's- low end.  

I don't know, either students have no money or no knowlege........the best and the brightest?
confused_face.gif

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #3,433 of 12,415

Quote:
I was at UCLA working for a bit yesterday. Saw so many headphones, normal ipod earbuds mainly, then no name earbuds or in ears i couldn't id.  There were about three pairs of Beats, with the wearers looking very smug if i may say so, there were about five pairs of Bose and happily there were three pairs of Sennheiser's.  The Senns were 201 or 202's- low end.  

I don't know, either students have no money or no knowlege........the best and the brightest?
confused_face.gif

clearly they spent on there money on the amp/dac setup hidden in there jacket pockets...yeah right :p

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #3,434 of 12,415
Saw some guy on campus with AKG K-66 headphones today. Had no idea what they were until I looked them up from the K-66.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back