Headphone comparison: Sennheiser HD 600, HD 700, HD 800, HD 25-1, and the Amperior; Audio-Technica ATH-M50s; Audez'e LCD-2 rev.2 and the LCD-3
Sep 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #108 of 226
Quote:
The more the headphone costs , the better they sound.So , how about doing this blindfold ?

I'd say that's subjective. During the test, I think I actually did close my eyes. :)

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #109 of 226
Hi, it is obvious you (the OP) put a lot of work into this comparative review, so kudos for that.
Just FYI, the Lavry DA-10 is known for having high output impedance into headphones, which means that it is not suitable for low impedance headphones such as the Sennheiser Amperior. You mentioned that there is a bit of a 'muddy' characteristic to the Amperior's sound in the bass region - this is caused by the impedance mismatch and is not a feature of the Amperior's sound.

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #110 of 226
Quote:
The more the headphone costs , the better they sound.So , how about doing this blindfold ?

Thats just a fact, no point making any fuss about it. You get what you pay for.  You wont find cheaper headphones that will be better than more expensive ones. Its unreal to expect HD600's for example to be better than HD700's, or LCD2's to be better than LCD3's. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #111 of 226
Thats just a fact, no point making any fuss about it. You get what you pay for.  You wont find cheaper headphones that will be better than more expensive ones. Its unreal to expect HD600's for example to be better than HD700's, or LCD2's to be better than LCD3's. 

This is definitely not true, there are many headphones that are overpriced and that are bested by cheaper alternatives.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #112 of 226
Quote:

That's tongue-in-cheek, right? You didn't really mean it.

Or are you saying the hifiman HE-500 at $700 isn't better than any more expensive headphone?

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #113 of 226
Quote:

Better is subjective. One man's Mozart is another man's Madonna.

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #114 of 226
Quote:
Hi, it is obvious you (the OP) put a lot of work into this comparative review, so kudos for that.
Just FYI, the Lavry DA-10 is known for having high output impedance into headphones, which means that it is not suitable for low impedance headphones such as the Sennheiser Amperior. You mentioned that there is a bit of a 'muddy' characteristic to the Amperior's sound in the bass region - this is caused by the impedance mismatch and is not a feature of the Amperior's sound.

Hi - thank you for the kudos!

The Amperior certainly sounds clear enough in the bass region. Any muddiness I may have described would refer to the slight boominess that is apparent with the Amperior when comparing it to headphones that present the bass region with more clarity, such as the HD 800.

I love the Amperior and use it pretty much every day these days.   

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #115 of 226
Quote:

The negative posts in the HD 700 thread are obviously because those who wrote them thought about the HD 700 negatively, and I don't know why those people thought that way.

My experience with the HD 700 was most probably more positive because I was thinking more positively, but really, all I did was tell the unbiased truth as I heard it, to the best of my ability. Like everything else, in the world of audio, personal truth is very subjective; what sounds like 'great bass' to one person may sound 'overly muddy and boomy' to another.

On another note, these days my experience of life in general these days is usually very positive and grounded. The more I deepen my understanding of the nature of thought and how we as human beings create our experience of life, the more beautiful life gets, the better I feel, and the better music sounds. My life has transformed greatly in the past 2 years, and especially so in the last six months, and I'm happy to have a conversation with you - or anyone else for that matter - about such topics if you feel so inclined.

Anyway, I'm glad my review was helpful to you. Thanks for your reply. :) 

I couldnt agree more on that! I believe if you think form the beginning the HD700 will suck major u wont be able to have any fun with them.

And btw thank u very much 4 this legendary review! 
beyersmile.png
 Helped me very much with deciding wether to get the 700s or not. And I didnt regret it one sec.

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #116 of 226
Thanks for your kind words, and glad to hear you're enjoying your headphones. :)

I saw that you have the DAC-100 in your signature. What do you think of it?

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #117 of 226
Quote:
Thanks for your kind words, and glad to hear you're enjoying your headphones. :)

I saw that you have the DAC-100 in your signature. What do you think of it?

I think its very clear and detailed sounding and has a wide soundstage but I think its a little bit distant and cold sounding so I prefer the Colorfly C4 most of the times

I was thinking about getting something like the LCD-2 or HE-500 to cover the bases on which the hd700 doesn't perform optimally. Do you have any recommendations which cans would be best to complement the 700s?

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #118 of 226
Thanks!

To complement the sound of the HD 700 I'd definitely suggest the LCD-2. The HE-500 is a more neutral sounding headphone with prominently-detailed treble presentation whereas the LCD-2 has more of a coloured presentation with great bass-impact. I reviewed the HE-500 and LCD-2 and if you check my profile posts and scroll down, you'll probably find the reviews easily.

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #119 of 226
Quote:
Thanks!

To complement the sound of the HD 700 I'd definitely suggest the LCD-2. The HE-500 is a more neutral sounding headphone with prominently-detailed treble presentation whereas the LCD-2 has more of a coloured presentation with great bass-impact. I reviewed the HE-500 and LCD-2 and if you check my profile posts and scroll down, you'll probably find the reviews easily.

Thank U! Just the kind of review I was looking for! Do U maybe have any other recommendations for complementing? problem is just that where I live the LCD-2 is about 1350$ (whereas the hd700 was only 930$). If not I´ll just have to get the LCD-2 even if its overpriced. Thanks in advance!!

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #120 of 226
Hi there - you may enjoy the Sennheiser HD 600 as an awesome all-round headphone and compliment to the HD 700. It may also be worth considering the HD 800 as a possible step-up/upgrade from the HD 700. 

Whatever headphone (s) you opt for, I'd say it's probably worth going to a meet or a local store to try whatever you are considering buying before making the purchase. If you are happy with the HD 700, perhaps something non-flagship but excellent and portable like the Sennheiser Momentum could be a top choice.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back