Headphone comparison: Sennheiser HD 600, HD 700, HD 800, HD 25-1, and the Amperior; Audio-Technica ATH-M50s; Audez'e LCD-2 rev.2 and the LCD-3
Apr 25, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #196 of 226
So....
I listened to the LCD 2, the LCD 3, the LCD-X and HE-560.
Coming from the HE-400, the one taht sounded best for me was the LCD 2.
This was a suprise for me as I expected the LCD 3 or LCD X to take my favorite spot.
Both LCD 2 and 3 were fazor.

So, I was listening from a Cowon i9 + burston solist (their asgard was not working).
The HE-560 sounded the most neutral in my view. I liked the fact that they simply sounded cleaner than the HE-400, and the bass was not so intrusive. It had almost verything "right". Very comftable, light, more controlled bass, cleaner highs.
I could not get focused on anything in those headphones, dont know why. It sounded as if everything was out of place. I think it might be due to not being used to that kind of sound.

The LCD-2 sounded as Id like the to sound. I tested the typica songs that should be great with LCD 2s but my surprise came when i runned classical with it. The highs were all there, and I could hear every note, but none were bothering me. I turned the volume up at far as the soloist could go, then to almost inaudible levels, and in both cases the sound was something I could really feel. But oh my god they are heavy.
I had neckpain after 30 minutes (and i use the HE-400, lol). The second thing I disliked was that I could not hear any space. It was 100% in my head sound.

In comparison the LCD-3 and LCD-X sounded more detailed, especially in the highs, but I actually did not like that.

Im still missing the HD800 and HD700, but ill have to find them somewhere else to listen to.
So far, I am not sure IF ill buy the LCD-2 if the HD700/800 turn out to be something I dont like.
They are clearly better than the HE-400, but im not sure Id pay taht much more for an increase that ID say is in the 15% range.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #197 of 226
Amazing write up and review - thank you, OP.
Still didn't help me much decide on LCD-3 or HD-800, but it is another good reference to have when I get close to actually wanting to buy one or the other :)

May 9, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #198 of 226
I've done some comparison between the LCD2 rev1,HD-25 1-II, HD650, and MDR-7550. The last three have some professional application. My background is mostly as a listener, DJ with some studio production.

All great headphones but the LCD2 outperformed them by quite margin and irrespective of genres. The HD650 was close in some cases, the LCD2 was more capable. In part of the test I isolated certain bandwidth to listen for artifacts, distortion and detail.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/765538/bandwidth-isolation-tests-with-lcd2-hd650-mdr7550-hd25-comparisons-and-review

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #199 of 226
  Amazing write up and review - thank you, OP.
Still didn't help me much decide on LCD-3 or HD-800, but it is another good reference to have when I get close to actually wanting to buy one or the other :)

Thank you. :)

These days I'm enjoying the HD 800 with the HDVD 800 when listening to music and I love it.

Also, I saw someone in my town walking with an LCD on, so I might look into another Audez'e headphone at some point. 

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #200 of 226

Thank you. :)

These days I'm enjoying the HD 800 with the HDVD 800 when listening to music and I love it.

Also, I saw someone in my town walking with an LCD on, so I might look into another Audez'e headphone at some point. 

Hah. I forgot about this thread. I ended up getting a freakishly good deal on a pair of LCD-2's, so I'm rocking them now. :)

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #201 of 226
Good stuff. I loved my LCD-2 when I had one. I'd love to try one through my HDVD 800!

May your LCD-2 love long continue! 

o2smile.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #202 of 226
Very good review.  Nice to get to read a side by side done of so many greats at the same time!  I have NONE of those except for the HD700 (I'm mostly an IEM guy), so I'm extremely happy that I made the best purchase I could've made for my money.  Would sure love to hear those HD800's and LCD-3's now, but I'm in enough hot water for the headphone purchases I've made already!
I've been side-by-side with the HD598 and HD700 and its clear why there's a price difference (other than the HD700's look sexy and futuristic while the HD598's look like something from the 70's).  However, I'm surprised at how well the 598's can actually compete.  Considering you can get a used HD598 for about $100, its a great value phone as well.  
Anyways, thanks for the insightful review.  And damn you for making me want to get the Amperiors now :wink:.

Sep 16, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #203 of 226
  Very good review.  Nice to get to read a side by side done of so many greats at the same time!  I have NONE of those except for the HD700 (I'm mostly an IEM guy), so I'm extremely happy that I made the best purchase I could've made for my money.  Would sure love to hear those HD800's and LCD-3's now, but I'm in enough hot water for the headphone purchases I've made already!
I've been side-by-side with the HD598 and HD700 and its clear why there's a price difference (other than the HD700's look sexy and futuristic while the HD598's look like something from the 70's).  However, I'm surprised at how well the 598's can actually compete.  Considering you can get a used HD598 for about $100, its a great value phone as well.  
Anyways, thanks for the insightful review.  And damn you for making me want to get the Amperiors now :wink:.

Diminishing returns hit extremely soon in this hobby.
Two days ago I left my IEMs at home when I came to work, and ti was a very slow day, so I decided to go out and buy the cheapest IEMs I could find just for that day.
I bought some no brand japanese IEMs for around 3.5 dollars and to my surprise they sounded above utter crap.
Still, I gifted them as soon as I had my IEMs with me, so .... yeah :D.

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #204 of 226
  great comparison!
Why haven't you included any hip hop tracks?

Lol you make me wanna buy LCD3!

keep in mind the LCD lineup is very heavy. Go to your local Hi-Fi store and test them out before buying. It certainly changed my mind once I tried them on. I wear my headphones for 10 hours a day so its not an option for me but they might not be has heavy for you as they were for me.

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #205 of 226
  Hah. I forgot about this thread. I ended up getting a freakishly good deal on a pair of LCD-2's, so I'm rocking them now. :)

How heavy are they for you, I tried them and they hurt my neck, how do you solve the porblem?

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #206 of 226
  How heavy are they for you, I tried them and they hurt my neck, how do you solve the porblem?

Its the same as the HE-400 or HE-500.
Its going to be a pain for a few months untill your neck builds up resitance to it.
In my case, the HE-400 took me over 5 months to get used to.
Still, its something you notice.

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #207 of 226
Great review!  My LCD 2.2 have great bass and as others have said, the high are not bright. My other headphone are grado sr60i and they are certainly lighter on the head. For their low price they are a very nice headphone. I am running my LCD's with the Bryston BHA-1 which is a very nice combination. Again great review and comments by everyone.

~Mike

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #208 of 226
Have been using two pair of 650's oldest, 12-2012 and the newest 04-2015 and had been satisfied, or so I thought.  After reading this review I decided to try the 700's from Amazon....http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0070U8KSM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00. figured like so many others could send back if not happy.  Well now I have to put both pair of 650's up for sale, like the 700's that much. Thank you for a great review.

Feb 6, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #209 of 226
Happen to know whether HD800 or LCD-3 handle distortion music better? I listen mainly to progressive metal/djent, symphonic metal so soundstage, balance and thinner sounding headphone would come first I think. I thought of AKG 7xx but they're bass light as I've read on most reviews, I wouldn't settle for less than moderate bass.

I'm happy with HD600 with most genres but for my favorite stuff they're too warm to express the detail fully.

Reference material Tesseract, Katatonia, Nightwish etc.

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #210 of 226
Happen to know whether HD800 or LCD-3 handle distortion music better? I listen mainly to progressive metal/djent, symphonic metal so soundstage, balance and thinner sounding headphone would come first I think. I thought of AKG 7xx but they're bass light as I've read on most reviews, I wouldn't settle for less than moderate bass.

I'm happy with HD600 with most genres but for my favorite stuff they're too warm to express the detail fully.

Reference material Tesseract, Katatonia, Nightwish etc.

From your description, HD800 sounds like a way better fit for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back