Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
May 30, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #11,626 of 12,597
This is the vent tapping i did.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13yaoOE1ylNyuDHiITTS62CqYCWAZlEk4/view

13yaoOE1ylNyuDHiITTS62CqYCWAZlEk4

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #11,627 of 12,597
I recently purchased sony mdr-7550. From 1st page it is listed as numero uno basshead iem. However, listening to it Im not really getting the amount of bass I crave for. Can anyone share how to make this iem spit basshead level bass? I tried sealing the vent with regular tape, bass adds abit but not much. Tried amping with topping nx4dsd, still not reaching basshead satisfaction. Any ideas?
I have hidisz ap200 dap, but never bottered with eq-ing. Should I start boosting the lows through eq? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
I think just like you, the Sony EX800 (even with the MOD) does not give the level of bass that a basshead claims, even with EQ. The model I have comes directly from Japan and I do not think it is FAKE .... but I do not rule out that it could be based on the fact that it does not give the bass that I thought it should give. There are models of modern IEMS that today give a response of much higher bass in quantity and quality (TFZ Tequila 1, TFZ King UPD, etc)

These are the measurements of my Sony EX800, as you can see, for nothing is basshead (NO EQ):

0FIqtWj.png

The response differences in bass with the MOD (sealed lateral vent hole), approx = + 5 dbs

Odq3UPm.jpg

Improving the response by EQ + 6 dbs in the bass & sub-bass zone.

Logically this modification of sound, either by EQ or by the MOD make the sound of the Sony EX800 a dark point, it also tires your hearing more and with the hole of ventilation of sealed completely there is "Flex Effect".

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #11,629 of 12,597
Now try adding +26db boost and driving them with a an 800mw amp.

With what reason?

As far as I know, the IEMS in which we show the frequency response graphs, are made in teams with the most flat response possible and without equalizing.

In the previous publications it was commented that the Sony EX800 was bearish (the number one) and the graphs show that the IEM does not have the bass and the sub-bass to be called bassist, my ear thinks the same.

With MOD and a modified EQ a very different graphic is obtained, but the sound does not look anything like the original because it retouches other frequencies very considerably, making it very dark and even with a "flex driver" effect I would even say that it is harmful for the ear.

That is the main reason for my little article and I am a declared basshead ...

Pd .: I recommend doing the MOD with a small hole, with the tip of a needle, we will eliminate the flex effect and protect the driver

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #11,633 of 12,597
With what reason?

Cuz
  • the title says basshead (that requires an amp in personal audio/Car audio/home audio)
  • The first page shows an iDSD that is said was set in TURBO mode.
  • There is literally a picture of an EQ from ONKYO player
  • There are no basshead headphones or earphones without an amp....that would be bassy you are looking for.

These lists were made by myself and atleast another from IASCA car audio and it never was a serious option to apply basshead term to non amplified sets.

I am a basshead
You maybe like bass?

Not the same thing

We cannot do this with earphone but would if we could.
ex800 takes more energy at 55Hz than anything else

Jun 7, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #11,634 of 12,597
Cuz
  • the title says basshead (that requires an amp in personal audio/Car audio/home audio)
  • The first page shows an iDSD that is said was set in TURBO mode.
  • There is literally a picture of an EQ from ONKYO player
  • There are no basshead headphones or earphones without an amp....that would be bassy you are looking for.

These lists were made by myself and atleast another from IASCA car audio and it never was a serious option to apply basshead term to non amplified sets.

I am a basshead
You maybe like bass?

Not the same thing

We cannot do this with earphone but would if we could.
ex800 takes more energy at 55Hz than anything else

Thanks BadBoy, I can understand now. You need amping and eq to make basshead level bass. And tapemod, incase of mdr7550. Without these, there is no way an earphone or headphone can mimic what home audio subwoofer can do. Truthfully, all this time my understanding was way off. That is why I was so determined in trying or buying first page lists. And was so stoked when I finally bought an mdr7550, but litterally puzzeled by the lack of punchy bass. Anyway, I do not regret buying mdr7550, it is a really excellent pair of earphones. The clarity is top notch. Beats all my other earphones and headphones.

Jul 5, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #11,636 of 12,597
Hi all.
I'm a new guy here.
I was always reading and buying your suggestions for at least 3 years. 50 % of the list I bought them and I damaged all hearing music at maximum volume and boosting bass +12db at 30 - 60 hz with amps and daps, I swear. Nothing can live in my hands more than a month, From Sonys to future sonics Sennheisers and westones. I also root the daps, fiio, hiby, acoustic research and I'm using viper4android to really boost the bass and I'm hearing deep house, G house, hip-hop and club music. I am just an extreme basshead head.
So I need a really good iem, a new one.
Please help me.

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #11,637 of 12,597
Hi all.
I'm a new guy here.
I was always reading and buying your suggestions for at least 3 years. 50 % of the list I bought them and I damaged all hearing music at maximum volume and boosting bass +12db at 30 - 60 hz with amps and daps, I swear. Nothing can live in my hands more than a month, From Sonys to future sonics Sennheisers and westones. I also root the daps, fiio, hiby, acoustic research and I'm using viper4android to really boost the bass and I'm hearing deep house, G house, hip-hop and club music. I am just an extreme basshead head.
So I need a really good iem, a new one.
Please help me.

I can't speak to the sound personally but you might take a look at the IMR R1 zenith. It's actually a little cheaper on drop dot com right now

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #11,638 of 12,597
+1 for R1 Zenith. I have original R1, which is a 13mm beryllium DD. I believe Zenith is 14mm. Plus a piezo ceramic twitter in addition to a DD. They are 32 ohm, can take a beating without distortion. Nozzles can be swapped to customize audio. Port on the back of the IEM can be opened or closed. Another thing about these, its one the widest soundstage IEM out there.
Another very cool IEM out there is Periodic Audio Carbon ( C ). Single 10mm DD with 8 micron lab diamond diaphragm. This thing is fast, has detail and got some serious bass, no bloat. Can be pushed without signs of distortion. 399$ is a fair price. 5 year warranty. It is terminated in 3.5mm jack, cable is not detachable. Similar to CA Atlas, while being 2.5 times cheaper. More people need to try this one, its a very cool IEM.

Jul 10, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #11,640 of 12,597
+1 for R1 Zenith. I have original R1, which is a 13mm beryllium DD. I believe Zenith is 14mm. Plus a piezo ceramic twitter in addition to a DD. They are 32 ohm, can take a beating without distortion. Nozzles can be swapped to customize audio. Port on the back of the IEM can be opened or closed. Another thing about these, its one the widest soundstage IEM out there.
Another very cool IEM out there is Periodic Audio Carbon ( C ). Single 10mm DD with 8 micron lab diamond diaphragm. This thing is fast, has detail and got some serious bass, no bloat. Can be pushed without signs of distortion. 399$ is a fair price. 5 year warranty. It is terminated in 3.5mm jack, cable is not detachable. Similar to CA Atlas, while being 2.5 times cheaper. More people need to try this one, its a very cool IEM.
OK my friend I ordered the IMR R1 zenith and I'm waiting them.
 let's see if thy can hit more than anything else with the 14mm beryllium driver . I always read about sure se846 that they are the best bass iems. Unbelievable what the people write about it and the positive comments. This are not even loud. The driver cracks immediately if I turn the volume up. I have tried them.
Anyway thanks again for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back