Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
May 5, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #11,581 of 12,592
I have the Elecom Grand Bass iem which is very good, for an L shaped sound curve These are a new series, no reviews i could find. seems like the same push pull diagphram design that Audio-technica innovated years ago however and that were present in some of the Trinity Audio designs before Bob founded IMR Acoustics and went
to ceramic/pizzo hybrid designs. but big iem dynamic woofers can sound really good, eg. sony ex800 and ex1000 which are still top rated. this is far less
expensive and might be a good chance to take!!! i still like the decay and natural analogue like sound of the dynamic drivers. the Zero Audio Mezzo for example
is only 50 and not a big driver, 10mm i believe, but its tuned so well and has a bass port and carbon fiber construction and sounds just fantastic out of
streaming sources on a good smartphone. however, that and these will not have the detail that new hybrid dynamic/ba drivers have, the best of which
are the Oriolus MK2, which is fabulous, and HYLA iems, which are more expensive but making top ten lists and have a bass model available at Musicteck.com
that saidk the Elecom may be a great bang for the buck if youre not listening to high rez files...hope you get to hear it!! btw, the IMR Acoustics Zenith R1 and Z are bass monsters, and since new models are coming out may be some good used ones on the used market soon. they have the bass of the old aurisonics 2 series with a good source and with an amp will rock your world!!

The Elecom Grand Bass (new series), you mentioned - can you please share the model number? I could find three in ebay EHP-GB1000, EHP-GB2000 and EHP-GB3000.

May 5, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #11,582 of 12,592
I have the Elecom Grand Bass iem which is very good, for an L shaped sound curve These are a new series, no reviews i could find. seems like the same push pull diagphram design that Audio-technica innovated years ago however and that were present in some of the Trinity Audio designs before Bob founded IMR Acoustics and went
to ceramic/pizzo hybrid designs. but big iem dynamic woofers can sound really good, eg. sony ex800 and ex1000 which are still top rated. this is far less
expensive and might be a good chance to take!!! i still like the decay and natural analogue like sound of the dynamic drivers. the Zero Audio Mezzo for example
is only 50 and not a big driver, 10mm i believe, but its tuned so well and has a bass port and carbon fiber construction and sounds just fantastic out of
streaming sources on a good smartphone. however, that and these will not have the detail that new hybrid dynamic/ba drivers have, the best of which
are the Oriolus MK2, which is fabulous, and HYLA iems, which are more expensive but making top ten lists and have a bass model available at Musicteck.com
that saidk the Elecom may be a great bang for the buck if youre not listening to high rez files...hope you get to hear it!! btw, the IMR Acoustics Zenith R1 and Z are bass monsters, and since new models are coming out may be some good used ones on the used market soon. they have the bass of the old aurisonics 2 series with a good source and with an amp will rock your world!!

Thanks for your input but those iems are way out of my budget. These days is becoming hard and harder to come across with right tuned only dd iems. I'm for one not much fond of BDs. I like old style wooden box speakers with abundance of warm and deep subbass kind of sound. I tried once one hybrid from Aurisonics and didn't like the bd integration , it seemed artificial with out of sync highs.
Besides that in my music collection I have both poor quality and hi res files, so I need a more forgiving iem for less contrast, also my sweet spot for bass are 12-14mm size which require less power and more efficient than sony ex800. According to the specs i think that Elecom should check all my boxes but I so don't want to be a ginny pig and there is no one single review of them out there.

May 6, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #11,586 of 12,592
I like mine a lot! Aursonics level bass! Cable upgrade makes big difference also!

Gt3 caught my attention, too . Despite those gimmicky filters how efficient are they with 84 ohm impedance and what's the driver size? I can't find, they keep hiding crucial information all the times. I'd love to have some ATH10 if they had removable cables. Want to take advantage of my es100 balanced 2.5mm output.

May 6, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #11,587 of 12,592
Gt3 sound good out of good DAP, not so much out of average smartphone. but definately sound better amped, where they really shine. i agree with you that companies have become lax
or evasive re giving accurate complete information about technologies they are using and specs i some cases. I take it you like your es100 a lot!

May 6, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #11,588 of 12,592
Gt3 sound good out of good DAP, not so much out of average smartphone. but definately sound better amped, where they really shine. i agree with you that companies have become lax
or evasive re giving accurate complete information about technologies they are using and specs i some cases. I take it you like your es100 a lot!

I'm sure they became more evasive deliberately, a new market strategy which relies more on hype, gimmics and impulse buy rather than product distinction.
As to es100, I have 3 of them, two in constant rotation so i don't run out of battery and third as a backup in case of accidents. The sound isn't quite there, like directly out of my lg v30 in aux mode but with Ldac 960 kbits is pretty damn close and the wireless convenience plus form factor totally makes up for it.

May 7, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #11,589 of 12,592
I'm sure they became more evasive deliberately, a new market strategy which relies more on hype, gimmics and impulse buy rather than product distinction.
As to es100, I have 3 of them, two in constant rotation so i don't run out of battery and third as a backup in case of accidents. The sound isn't quite there, like directly out of my lg v30 in aux mode but with Ldac 960 kbits is pretty damn close and the wireless convenience plus form factor totally makes up for it.
YES many gimmicks. Advance audio bombarded me with text messages about a month ago saying i had "won" a discount coupon so i could access a sale. after ten texts i told them to cease and desist, and that was a really annoying marketing strategy. they are still doing advertising via text message which i think is rather intrusive...

May 7, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #11,590 of 12,592
YES many gimmicks. Advance audio bombarded me with text messages about a month ago saying i had "won" a discount coupon so i could access a sale. after ten texts i told them to cease and desist, and that was a really annoying marketing strategy. they are still doing advertising via text message which i think is rather intrusive...

Its like volunteering/donating to causes... instead of responding with a simple "Thank you very much. We appreciate your support/business" they think "We've got another one!" and put you in a database somewhere to be hectored and bothered incessantly. It must be effective if they keep doing it, but pretty much guarantees I'll never get involved with that company or group again.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #11,591 of 12,592
Thanks for your input but those iems are way out of my budget. These days is becoming hard and harder to come across with right tuned only dd iems. I'm for one not much fond of BDs. I like old style wooden box speakers with abundance of warm and deep subbass kind of sound. I tried once one hybrid from Aurisonics and didn't like the bd integration , it seemed artificial with out of sync highs.
Besides that in my music collection I have both poor quality and hi res files, so I need a more forgiving iem for less contrast, also my sweet spot for bass are 12-14mm size which require less power and more efficient than sony ex800. According to the specs i think that Elecom should check all my boxes but I so don't want to be a ginny pig and there is no one single review of them out there.

You are like me. I suggest you need the Sony Ex800St with its 16mm driver. It's sublime. Also, the Sony MH755 is fantastic for its price. Bests most sets under 100 bux. And finally, Kanas Pro Edition. HELL of a nice Dynamic driver set. Punches above its price for sure.

May 8, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #11,593 of 12,592
You are like me. I suggest you need the Sony Ex800St with its 16mm driver. It's sublime. Also, the Sony MH755 is fantastic for its price. Bests most sets under 100 bux. And finally, Kanas Pro Edition. HELL of a nice Dynamic driver set. Punches above its price for sure.
I would've bought those Sony ex800st long time ago, if only there was for sale any short 2.5mm balanced cable for them, or at least some adapters to those proprietary connectors.
As to Kanas pro I doubt it they can deliver as much sub bass as futuresonic G10 or wooduo 2 which I had and enjoyed a lot.

May 8, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #11,594 of 12,592
Well don't discount the KPE. It has amazing bass imo. Im a basshead and If I pump the eq, watch out. Very very satisfying depth and slam. Then the 800st is one notch above that. It IS the bass king. Full stop.

May 10, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #11,595 of 12,592
I currently own the IMR R1 Zenith with Final audio ear tips (with Hiby R6 Pro), pretty good results, but I have been wondering if there are any alternatives that have bigger staging effect. Do you have any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back