Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
May 13, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #11,345 of 12,591
So I saw a review on the Sony MDR EX800ST/ 7550. The reviewer states that these iems are useless for listening on a train or the outdoors because their noise isolation is terrible.

Is this true or is he exaggerating? I plan on using in train and while riding my scooter to work.

May 13, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #11,346 of 12,591
So I saw a review on the Sony MDR EX800ST/ 7550. The reviewer states that these iems are useless for listening on a train or the outdoors because their noise isolation is terrible.

Is this true or is he exaggerating? I plan on using in train and while riding my scooter to work.

This is true. I have the 7550 and noise isolation for them is less than ideal. I have to crank up the volume to compensate during train rides and it got worse on bus ride. Another thing is wind noises while walking around due to the design. Good thing is the design allows the IEM to have out of head soundstage. This IEM is pretty much for stationary used IMHO.

However, you can do the black tape mod to improve the isolation and get that massive rumbling bass. This is good for outdoor commuting use but I find the bass overwhelming when I sat down in a quiet listening environment.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #11,347 of 12,591
This is true. I have the 7550 and noise isolation for them is less than ideal. I have to crank up the volume to compensate during train rides and it got worse on bus ride. Another thing is wind noises while walking around due to the design. Good thing is the design allows the IEM to have out of head soundstage. This IEM is pretty much for stationary used IMHO.

Hmmm that’s kinda deal breaker for me unfortunately.... I plan on using iems for on the go situations.... any recommendations for noisy situations?

May 13, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #11,348 of 12,591
Hmmm that’s kinda deal breaker for me unfortunately.... I plan on using iems for on the go situations.... any recommendations for noisy situations?

I dont think you will be able to do an audiophile level listening on the go. Even if the fit was good a noisy background will eventually affect your experience.

There are several to-go bluetooth IEMs / headphones available for commute, with active noise cancellation.

May 14, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #11,349 of 12,591
So I've been away for a wile for a wile from this site and my sony 7550 had a tragic accident. I'm looking for some new iems below 500 that compare or best the bass of the 7550 or even better the asg 2.5, any recommendations are greatly appreciated

May 14, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #11,350 of 12,591
I dont think you will be able to do an audiophile level listening on the go. Even if the fit was good a noisy background will eventually affect your experience.

There are several to-go bluetooth IEMs / headphones available for commute, with active noise cancellation.

Such as? I'd still love something good for gym use.. Kinda given up on trying to find the Sony XBA-A3 with Bluetooth adaptor :/

May 14, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #11,352 of 12,591
Any good basshead iem in a Shure/Westone type shell with narrow bore? I have small ears and that's the only shape I found comfortable. Anything like Kings Pro, ZS6 or IT01 becomes unbearable after a while. I am hoping to find something under $200 before I take the CIEM route.

May 14, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #11,353 of 12,591
Such as? I'd still love something good for gym use.. Kinda given up on trying to find the Sony XBA-A3 with Bluetooth adaptor :/

Sony - 1000X

I was in need of a gym earphones, tried them at nearby store it was the best bluetooth experience ever. They were out of budget for the purpose, coz till now I have lost two. Give it a try, you will love it. The noise cancellation is very effective.

If you ask me, XBA-A3 in a gym will be joke.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #11,354 of 12,591
Sony - 1000X

I was in need of a gym earphones, tried them at nearby store it was the best bluetooth experience ever. They were out of budget for the purpose, coz till now I have lost two. Give it a try, you will love it. The noise cancellation is very effective.

If you ask me, XBA-A3 in a gym will be joke.

What model exactly? I'm guessing you mean Sony WI-1000X? And what did you like about them.. They're certainly within budget for me.. In fact I'm going to check them out this weekend!

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #11,355 of 12,591
Any good basshead iem in a Shure/Westone type shell with narrow bore? I have small ears and that's the only shape I found comfortable. Anything like Kings Pro, ZS6 or IT01 becomes unbearable after a while. I am hoping to find something under $200 before I take the CIEM route.

Futuresonics G10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back