Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
May 7, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #10,906 of 12,592
I've been doing research for over a week now about buying some in ears, reading hundreds of threads and reviews. I'm a basshead who owned xb90ex's that unfortunately were rendered unsuable after the cable ripped. Got them for 90$ in 2013 and they are 170$ now.

I am looking for that physical, punchy bass that I can get from an IEM.My options have narrowed to these but I do not want to spend more than 200$
  • Sennheiser IE8's
  • Radius Nhr21
  • FXZ200
  • Yamaha EPH-M200
  • Alpha & Delta AD0
I'm ready to buy but I cannot decide because everyhting I research leads to astray.
Does anyone have any recommendations for impactful, punchy iem's??

May 7, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #10,907 of 12,592
  • Sennheiser IE8's
  • Radius Nhr21
  • FXZ200
  • Yamaha EPH-M200
  • Alpha & Delta AD0

My vote on Radius NHR21 - my experience from previous page:

I owned it and it was my 1st real bass-head earphone I had - it had the strongest bass slam I've heard and my ears just could not handle it. First earphone where I had to eq to lower the 60hz and 400 hz on my NWA-A25, or not eq-ing at all.

I sold it to someone who are bass-head and so far, he loves it. That proves that I am not a bass-head

His response: I've been listening to the Radius NHR-21 for a few days now. Unamped these headphones have a lot of bass. They shine specifically with rap, but have sounded pretty good with everything I've thrown at them. I've tested them with heavy metal, and the drums and guitar sound awesome. Screamed vocals, if you're into that, sound great as well. The only time I felt they sounded a little off was during heavy metal tracks with fast paced drumming and melodic singing. The instrumentals overshadowed the vocals significantly on those tracks, but I still found it to be an enjoyable listen. Great bass and great build quality so I'm happy.
- Justin

Talan7 is knowledgeable bout the Radius so you could ask him for more. The downside they are Japan exclusive earphone - you will need to purchase from Amazon.jp.

The FX200 is not a bass-head but I find it more into the warm side and non-fatiguing sig.

The Yamaha EPH-M200 - I had tried it but too mid-bassy and forward for my taste.

Also I would vote for Xiaomi Hybrid pro HD with tape mod on the front. They're priced ranging from $23-27 at Gearbest tho. Hope I help :)

May 7, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #10,908 of 12,592
My vote on Radius NHR21 - my experience from previous page:

Talan7 is knowledgeable bout the Radius so you could ask him for more. The downside they are Japan exclusive earphone - you will need to purchase from Amazon.jp.

The FX200 is not a bass-head but I find it more into the warm side and non-fatiguing sig.

The Yamaha EPH-M200 - I had tried it but too mid-bassy and forward for my taste.

Also I would vote for Xiaomi Hybrid pro HD with tape mod on the front. They're priced ranging from $23-27 at Gearbest tho. Hope I help :)

I have a link right now that to buy the radius's from AccessoryJack.com but I have no idea how trustworthy the grey market stuff is. See this is why I'm having such a hard time since usually people say the FXZ200 is basshead iem but since you own them, you can know better. Well time to scratch that off the list.

May 7, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #10,909 of 12,592
I have a link right now that to buy the radius's from AccessoryJack.com but I have no idea how trustworthy the grey market stuff is. See this is why I'm having such a hard time since usually people say the FXZ200 is basshead iem but since you own them, you can know better. Well time to scratch that off the list.

The FXZ200 could be a bass-head if you EQ them, but I do not EQ my earphone. The FXZ200 is bassy for me but not that Radius-kind-like bass. Yet I am not a sick bass-head like y'all.

For your information, I tried buying an earphone from Amazon.jp using Buyee forwarding service. It worked out for me at first try. I purchased Sony MDR-EX650 on my first attempt using buyee and it was straight forward and simple. It took me $15 for EMS shipping service + the buying service and 4 days waiting (to CA, USA) , including the packaging service. Yet that's half of Tenso.com which I always use for japan purchases and WAY quicker shipping service.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Also wait and hear someone's opinion too. Ask the wise Talan7 if you're interested with the Radius.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #10,910 of 12,592

The radius are more bassy than the jvc fxz200. The jvc can be very bassy but they need lots of power, the radius don't need much power. They are best straight out of a dap. Again, I would get the radius NHR31 from headphone.com right here in the states. Many, many pages back I did a comparison of my basshead iems on my iFi iDSD, it was like 10-12 altogether. The radius couldn't handle all the power and bass boost the amp put out. Think of the radius as a iem with eq built in. It has more bass than pretty much all my iems, even when eq'ed for more bass. The jvc impressed the most, it didn't come alive until huge amounts of power and bass boost were pumped into them.

May 7, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #10,912 of 12,592
Mario_34,

Here is my write up that I did a while ago. This was done with my iFi rack. The radius just needs a clean signal, not much power. The jvc, just the opposite. It needs gobs of power and bass boost.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/head-fi-basshead-iem-thread-lists-page-1.761433/page-644

I pulled the triggered, this is exactly what I was looking for but kept getting the same responses only for people who owned them to say otherwise. I ordered them through AccesoryJack but it is kind of a hassle right now. Got charged twice :frowning2:. Out of stock on headphone.com

May 7, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #10,913 of 12,592
I pulled the triggered, this is exactly what I was looking for but kept getting the same responses only for people who owned them to say otherwise. I ordered them through AccesoryJack but it is kind of a hassle right now. Got charged twice :frowning2:. Out of stock on headphone.com

Who owned them that said they were not bassy?
I would be interested in who is giving questionable non rec's to folks....about bass.

May 7, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #10,914 of 12,592
Who owned them that said they were not bassy?
I would be interested in who is giving questionable non rec's to folks....about bass.

I misspoke, I meant to say most of the IEM's that some say were bassy were in reality not in other threads. Mind you, I have been looking at hundreds of threads over head-fi's history and been jotting pros and cons. I havent really come across the NHR21's until this thread and its all been exactly what I am looking for. Thank you for this masterful thread. Most help out of anything that I have come across (100's of videos & threads).

May 8, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #10,915 of 12,592
Someone in this thread was researching bt IEM..I don't recall who. If nobody in here knows try the help section. I don't know of any bassy bt iem. Hopefully someone sees your question so this mail is a bump :)

Hey @GaNi - i have found the Moxpad X90's are going pretty well for bass for me. Have good not excellent sub-bass & for $15US via gearbest recently, a value point you cant argue with. Note that I do have to push the volume pretty much flat out on my S7 Edge however using Neutron player with HBB settings gets a big smile while in the gym from me.
Listen to mainly metal, Trance, rap, etc. For the $$, cant go too wrong with giving them a try. I have had 2 pairs not work - probably due to gym work in summer in Australia - but keep buying them again at that price.

May 8, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #10,918 of 12,592
Sounds like a good idea for a thread to me.

Hey @GaNi - i have found the Moxpad X90's are going pretty well for bass for me. Have good not excellent sub-bass & for $15US via gearbest recently, a value point you cant argue with. Note that I do have to push the volume pretty much flat out on my S7 Edge however using Neutron player with HBB settings gets a big smile while in the gym from me.
Listen to mainly metal, Trance, rap, etc. For the $$, cant go too wrong with giving them a try. I have had 2 pairs not work - probably due to gym work in summer in Australia - but keep buying them again at that price.

Are these the same earphones you use?

https://m.fasttech.com/products/1403/10028134/6156800-moxpad-x90-sports-bluetooth-v4-1-headset

For 14.20 these might be worth a try. I love low bass but as long as the bass is clean its all good.

I use an iPod Classic thats jailbroken with Rockbox. These work well without a headphone amp or any extra power? Ill just be using these for my iPod.

Also can I put some Sony Hybrid tips on these Moxpad X90s?

Thanks for the advice

EDIT.... These have no 3.5mm plug? Yea if these are bluetooth only i wont be able to use these with the ipod classic that I have... oh well maybe buy these for my phone

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #10,919 of 12,592
I've converted an inexpensive iem with no bass into a basshead with bass (sub, mid) way beyond what my ears can bear.

samsung HS330 (under 10$) [out of the box i would rate this one 2/10 with lots of sibilance and no bass but exceptional clarity reason why it gets 2]

Amp: FIIO A3 (60$)

HS330 + FIIO A3 + windows EQ [7/10 up from 2/10, this one shine with amp and is on par with sennheiser HD518 and bowers & wilkins C5 S2]

Few more steps to reach the basshead level :

I cut a slice of foam earplugs that i inserted between the earphone housing and the silicone tip (for a better seal in my ears i went for wide 14mm wide silicone tips, the one from B&W C5 S2 are amazing)

I then went for free android apps (equalizer pro and video player turtlerun) to adjust according to the frequency response of the HS330 and increase bass further. (I've noticed that without a DAC the best sound quality is with my blackberry phone and not samsung nor windows)

Total cost : <80$ (with amp), <15$ (without amp)

Since then I have had to reduce the EQ sub bass and remove the bass boost from FIIO A3 because at times those bass reached levels dangerous to my ears (earthquake level)

I'm thinking about trying either JVC ha-fw01 or fx1100 to compare with mine. I like having both bass and clarity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back