Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
May 5, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #10,891 of 12,592
Thanks i will look at those but how do they compare to the sonys bass? looking for some other iems that got similar bass as the sonys. are the sonys not worth it for 125$ shipped?

The sonys are great with an amp, the radius are better if only used with a phone. The radius doesn't tons of power to bring out the bass in them.

May 5, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #10,892 of 12,592
Hi guys! I'm searching for a Sub Bass oriented in-ears for dubstep music, like Outerdub, Perverse, Congi, Dullatron... I can't find Sony EX90XB any more. Coming from TF10. Budged +/-150EUR. Need more sub bass!!! Recomendations? Thanks

May 5, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #10,893 of 12,592
Hi guys! I'm searching for a Sub Bass oriented in-ears for dubstep music, like Outerdub, Perverse, Congi, Dullatron... I can't find Sony EX90XB any more. Coming from TF10. Budged +/-150EUR. Need more sub bass!!! Recomendations? Thanks

The set mentioned about the Radius Nhr 21 (?) have great sub bass and can even go without an amp.

May 5, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #10,895 of 12,592
I would get the radius, but the NHR31. They are the exact same as the NHR21 but have removable cables. I have both, they both sound the same except the NHR31 is even more sensitive so it plays even louder and needs less of an amp than the 21. Also, with balanced cables, the 31's mids and soundstage open up a lot more. If you have a balanced setup or plan to in the future, the 31 would grow with your system.

May 5, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #10,896 of 12,592
If anyone has a Carbo Basso, try out these EQ settings:

Preamp: -8db

40 hz +8db Q0.8 PF
80 hz +2db Q0.9 PF
300 hz -2.5db Q1.41 PF
16 khz +2db Q2 High Shelf Filter

Probably not top 10 worthy but I think it's a good alternative for people to experiment/try out. I've ran these accidentally through the washing machine and 2 years later they're still working!!

EDIT:
Completely forgot to mention that I'm running these off of a FiiO E10K with bass boost on ... but I guess for people who aren't running them with hardware bass boost you can just boost 40 hz another 2 or 3db, and boost more at 80 hz to taste.

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #10,897 of 12,592
The set mentioned about the Radius Nhr 21 (?) have great sub bass and can even go without an amp.

I owned it and it was my 1st real bass-head earphone I had - it had the strongest bass slam I've heard and my ears just could not handle it. First earphone where I had to eq to lower the 60hz and 400 hz on my NWA-A25, or not eq-ing at all.

I sold it to someone who are bass-head and so far, he loves it. That proves that I am not a bass-head :wink: but I do want to try a nice half bass-head one tho.

The new xiaomi hybrid pro HD with front-tape-mod could be a half- bass-head to me and it was a pleasant to hear it

May 6, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #10,898 of 12,592
Can anyone do a comparison between Fender FXA2 and Futuresonics G10 please? Both of these seem to have the dark, sub-bass heavy, smooth treble sound sig that I'm after.

I'm especially after sub-bass quality and quantity and how well they react to amping; are they able to handle lots of power? I have a Fiio E18 that I drive my Carbo Basso with.

And both are similarly priced too.

Thanks

May 7, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #10,900 of 12,592
Have you guys though about adding your favorite bass test tracks to the page 1 lists? It would be nice to see what tracks accompany them.

2 ways to go

#1 is just a car test track (this title is fake it's a Bass Mekaniks track..actually 2)

#2 is a normal music track from any genre'

I like

like...no LOVE the opening of the Doobie track

Gilmour is actually a better bassist than bassist Waters :) They did dualing bass guitars in the studio and by all accounts and the recording Gilmour was pretty damned ...better

Rock and using a 4 string bassist which goes from sub bass to 3k (fundamental >>>resonance) will apply to Hip Hop ,Reggae and all genre but EQ to trance or Hip Hop and it might sound a bloated mess when put to a Def Leppard track or Doobie Bros.

If someone asks how much bass an IEM has I would use the Bass Mekaniks track, for quality I would use a track listed above. Probably the Doobie bros or Steely Dan track. It takes a trust in a rec that if that track is coming in good and the 4 stings are audible and not muddying vocals or early mid events aside from the upper bass string...it will play your Techno, Trance, Hip Hop just fine, exceptionally.

I personally do not rec anything to a person in a post that has messed up mids.
Too much gear that has great bass and will leave the mids alone.

The music rec thing gets so varied it becomes a thread within a thread. And heat and drama seems to follow it so I keep it out of the first post or folks will endlessly submit ideas for tracks.

May 7, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #10,901 of 12,592
2 ways to go

Gilmour is actually a better bassist than bassist Waters :) They did dualing bass guitars in the studio and by all accounts and the recording Gilmour was pretty damned ...better

Rock and using a 4 string bassist which goes from sub bass to 3k (fundamental >>>resonance) will apply to Hip Hop ,Reggae and all genre but EQ to trance or Hip Hop and it might sound a bloated mess when put to a Def Leppard track or Doobie Bros.

If someone asks how much bass an IEM has I would use the Bass Mekaniks track, for quality I would use a track listed above. Probably the Doobie bros or Steely Dan track. It takes a trust in a rec that if that track is coming in good and the 4 stings are audible and not muddying vocals or early mid events aside from the upper bass string...it will play your Techno, Trance, Hip Hop just fine, exceptionally.

I personally do not rec anything to a person in a post that has messed up mids.
Too much gear that has great bass and will leave the mids alone.

The music rec thing gets so varied it becomes a thread within a thread. And heat and drama seems to follow it so I keep it out of the first post or folks will endlessly submit ideas for tracks.

Thanks for your suggestions and for clarifying the bolded part there. Much appreciated. Makes perfect sense. :beerchug:

May 7, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #10,902 of 12,592
Maybe that is a worthy thing to start though, a "What song/songs do you test with?" thread. Hmm, if this broken search will work, I'm gonna go look to see if it exists.

*EDIT* Nevermind, there are a few threads, none that really took off though. Maybe it isn't something people want.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #10,903 of 12,592
Sounds like a good idea for a thread to me.

May 7, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #10,904 of 12,592
Sounds like a good idea for a thread to me.

If you build it....they will cum

Meanwhile this thread just hit 500 thousand views. Over 600K for the over ears. That's well over a Milly from the basshead/music lovers crew.

Dear companies,

Your welcome.

giphy.gif

May 7, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #10,905 of 12,592
Maybe that is a worthy thing to start though, a "What song/songs do you test with?" thread. Hmm, if this broken search will work, I'm gonna go look to see if it exists.

*EDIT* Nevermind, there are a few threads, none that really took off though. Maybe it isn't something people want.

So, I made it anyway, lol. Go HERE if you'd like to post up some of your test tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back