Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Feb 21, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #10,457 of 12,597
I used to lurk this thread back in the day, still have my xb90ex that I now only use for quick things on the computer now. Keep up the great work guys.

I got in touch with Masao Kamikodai (great guy, I had to use a bit of Google translate but we managed to get there) from E4UA and managed to get an order for the Sony ex1000/ex800st/7550 to MMCX adapter and it's pretty well made. The cost of it and the shipping+import tax stung a bit (£174, yes I know that's a crazy price for an adapter) but I reckon it was well worth it. I can now use any MMCX cable with my ex800st but also my bluetooth cable that I got recently. I believe it's possible to make your own for much cheaper if you're handy with DIY using the Luna Shops parts perhaps but I don't trust myself on that part but inspiration for anyone that wants to give it a whirl is there.

I figured you guys might want to know since MMCX cables are much more common than the Sony cables, you'll get a greater variety of cables to choose from and use. Get a pair of ex800st or ex1000 with mic and controls for your phone? Sure thing.

I've also got some adapters for Trinity Audio's PM4s, although they don't fit as nice as the Sony adapter. Picture below:

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #10,458 of 12,597
I used to lurk this thread back in the day, still have my xb90ex that I now only use for quick things on the computer now. Keep up the great work guys.

I got in touch with [COLOR=212121]Masao Kamikodai (great guy, I had to use a bit of Google translate but we managed to get there) from [/COLOR]E4UA and managed to get an order for the Sony ex1000/ex800st/7550 to MMCX adapter and it's pretty well made. The cost of it and the shipping+import tax stung a bit (£174, yes I know that's a crazy price for an adapter) but I reckon it was well worth it. I can now use any MMCX cable with my ex800st but also my bluetooth cable that I got recently. I believe it's possible to make your own for much cheaper if you're handy with DIY using the Luna Shops parts perhaps but I don't trust myself on that part but inspiration for anyone that wants to give it a whirl is there.

I figured you guys might want to know since MMCX cables are much more common than the Sony cables, you'll get a greater variety of cables to choose from and use. Get a pair of ex800st or ex1000 with mic and controls for your phone? Sure thing.

I've also got some adapters for Trinity Audio's PM4s, although they don't fit as nice as the Sony adapter. Picture below:

I need some for my ex1000, so I can use mmcx cables with them. Where can I get one?

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #10,460 of 12,597
@talan7 You'll need to submit a form to Masao Kamikodai here: http://e4ua.jp/?page_id=2 and as he's Japanese you'll probably need to use Google translate. Make it short and sweet as Google translate doesn't do long sentences well. It takes about a month to get them made and sent to you if he's busy. You can also write to him in English but I'd suggest keeping it short to prevent any misunderstanding.

I recommend asking him for a quote first and then if you want to go for it then let him know and he'll ask for your PayPal details. Just be patient and don't spam his inbox, he's a regular guy so he might get back to you after a few days, just wait.

He shipped them to me using EMS but I'm not sure if he can use SAL (worth asking if you live in Europe, don't bother if you're in the US) for a slower and cheaper delivery so you can ask him if you don't mind waiting longer, but since it costs a bit to make them I don't know if he'll accept SAL.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #10,461 of 12,597
@talan7
 You'll need to submit a form to [COLOR=212121]Masao Kamikodai here: [/COLOR]http://e4ua.jp/?page_id=2 and as he's Japanese you'll probably need to use Google translate. Make it short and sweet as Google translate doesn't do long sentences well. It takes about a month to get them made and sent to you if he's busy. You can also write to him in English but I'd suggest keeping it short to prevent any misunderstanding.

I recommend asking him for a quote first and then if you want to go for it then let him know and he'll ask for your PayPal details. Just be patient and don't spam his inbox, he's a regular guy so he might get back to you after a few days, just wait.

He shipped them to me using EMS but I'm not sure if he can use SAL (worth asking if you live in Europe, don't bother if you're in the US) for a slower and cheaper delivery so you can ask him if you don't mind waiting longer, but since it costs a bit to make them I don't know if he'll accept SAL.

That's basically what I did. I'm in the US. If he doesn't ship to US I'll have him ship them to my Tokyo address and use tenso. Is the price over $200, am I reading that right?

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #10,462 of 12,597
It's about $150 (parts, work and EMS price), I had to pay more because I got hit by customs in the UK. I think the price for the adapter will go up or down depending on what sort of stock he has on the parts.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #10,463 of 12,597
You could take some junk mmcx cables, cut em to be a few inches long, spend 18 bucks at lunashops and have your own mmcx to ex1000/ex800st

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5393

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #10,464 of 12,597
I would love to hear some opinions. I tried ordering the 1st popular ones with the notorious bad fit... But they never showed up or even got tracking.

Aaaah, bad fit. Hope that would not be the case as these can only be worn down. I like over-ear only if possible.

If they were MMCX they could have been reversed and worn over-ear to get the stereo imaging right as I think the inserts are angled.

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #10,465 of 12,597
Hi guys,

I have been following this thread for quite some time now, but I decided to make an account because I am interested in your opinion.

I have been using my Monster Turbine Pro Golds for around 5 years now and although I still like them, I am looking to replace them anytime soon. I listen to a lot of R&B and Hip-Hop, but I also like to listen to Drum & Bass from time to time. At home, I use my JVC SZ2000s but I am looking for some decent IEMs for my iPhone while I'm on the go. I've been looking for basshead IEMs with good subbass that do not need an amplifier and so far the JVC FX850 and Sony MDR-XB90EX have caught my eye. My problem with the Sony's is that they might not have the bass I am looking for without using an amp. If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #10,466 of 12,597
I've been looking for basshead IEMs with good subbass that do not need an amplifier and so far the JVC FX850 and Sony MDR-XB90EX have caught my eye. My problem with the Sony's is that they might not have the bass I am looking for without using an amp. If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

I just did a search on hifishark or whatever it is called and there is a set of JVC FX850s going for a steal on Head-fi relative to other used prices. Was going to scoop them, but now cannot ;-(
http://www.head-fi.org/t/834144/jvc-wood-ha-fx850-price-drop

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #10,469 of 12,597
Hi guys,

I have been following this thread for quite some time now, but I decided to make an account because I am interested in your opinion.

I have been using my Monster Turbine Pro Golds for around 5 years now and although I still like them, I am looking to replace them anytime soon. I listen to a lot of R&B and Hip-Hop, but I also like to listen to Drum & Bass from time to time. At home, I use my JVC SZ2000s but I am looking for some decent IEMs for my iPhone while I'm on the go. I've been looking for basshead IEMs with good subbass that do not need an amplifier and so far the JVC FX850 and Sony MDR-XB90EX have caught my eye. My problem with the Sony's is that they might not have the bass I am looking for without using an amp. If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Radius NHR-21. You have to order them from Japan, but unamped they probably have the strongest bass response of any IEM. The build quality is great, and they are listed ~$100. With Rap these things are phenomenal, the bass is booming but doesn't overpower the track. I found that they sounded good with rock and most heavy metal. Drums sound great on these IEMs. Other than the radius the AD01 is another good option unamped. They've got less bass than the Radius, but are still basshead IEMs (also ~$100). I'd recommend the Radius but the AD01 is highly regarded as well. The xb90's without an amp aren't basshead iem's

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #10,470 of 12,597
I have long maintained that some sources can drive the xb90ex fine without amp. Even the xduoo x3 can get nice and bassy if you want to spend 10 hours in the rockbox eq config but it is possible. My point is some daps have the power to make xb90ex basshead. Will it ever be as good as amped... No. But nothing that is basshead wouldnt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back