Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Feb 26, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #4,666 of 12,591
Originally Posted by vapman 

Have you taped the vents yet?

Not yet. Untaped these have impressive enough bass. I actually think they have
a bit more bass than the XB90ex. I also think the XBA-Z5 has equal bass to the
XB90ex. I know that's a bit different from the opinions here in the thread. I'd rank
the bass response and extension like this:

MDR7550 > HA-FX1100 > XBA-Z5 >= XB90ex

I think I need to work on fit and tips some more to see if there is a reason my 
impressions don't jive with the majority opinion.

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #4,667 of 12,591

Not yet. Untaped these have impressive enough bass. I actually think they have
a bit more bass than the XB90ex. I also think the XBA-Z5 has equal bass to the
XB90ex. I know that's a bit different from the opinions here in the thread. I'd rank
the bass response and extension like this:

MDR7550 > HA-FX1100 > XBA-Z5 >= XB90ex

I think I need to work on fit and tips some more to see if there is a reason my 
impressions don't jive with the majority opinion.

For the first few weeks I had mine I never taped them, then I did and poked the hole in the tape.
I thought it has slightly less bass than the 90ex untaped a bit more taped.

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #4,669 of 12,591
@bada bing-Just wondering what's your source and are you amped?

I'm been auditioning IEMs for the last week mostly at my desk, so:

PupDac > GS-1 > IEM

I'm lacking for portable sources, I have an HTC M8 and a Rockboxed Fuse,
but I haven't been using those for auditioning over the last week. That is what
I eventually will end up driving them with. I was going to ask for opinions in this
thread in a week or two for a portable amp recommendation in the sub $200
range. I'm considering a Fiio E12 or perhaps looking for a used Pico.

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #4,671 of 12,591
Cayin C5 is another great portable amp. I'd recommend looking into rooting your phone and installing V4A too. Tremendous difference. So much so that I don't feel the need for a DAP anymore, and I've owned quite a few of them.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #4,672 of 12,591
Cayin C5 is another great portable amp. I'd recommend looking into rooting your phone and installing V4A too. Tremendous difference. So much so that I don't feel the need for a DAP anymore, and I've owned quite a few of them.

I agree with everything you said. V4A on a rooted phone is spectacular. I have Spotify on a non rooted phone and can't hardly stand to listen to it. Planning to cancel next billing cycle.

The C5 is also a great suggestion for an amp. Just wish the battery lasted longer.

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #4,673 of 12,591
  Got my impressions done today - that was NOT a pleasant experience :frowning2:  The things I'll do for this hobby :D

What's your first custom gonna be?

Never stop being surprised how much I love the XB90EX
biggrin.gif

Hope the kickers get here soon. Do kinda miss the sound of open bass port 2.5's powered by the Polaris.

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #4,674 of 12,591
What's your first custom gonna be?

Never stop being surprised how much I love the XB90EX :D

Hope the kickers get here soon. Do kinda miss the sound of open bass port 2.5's powered by the Polaris.
Custom 2.5

Feb 27, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #4,675 of 12,591
Feb 27, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #4,676 of 12,591
Hi Guys!
Can you help me with something?

I have the ATH IM50 and I love this little fellas!
I guess this makes me a basshead?

Even loving the IM50 I'd like to have an option with plenty of bass but with a bigger soundstage and clarity.
What would you recommend me?

The IM02 and IM03 seems to have great clarity and openness but won't have bass enough for me I'm correct about this?
The IM70 seems to be the same thing of IM50 but less bassy (more controlled thought). 

I was thing about geting the vsonic GR07 BASS edition but it seems to be treble heavy and I'm quite sensitive in this area. (I have already the Vsonic VSD3S with I love but that is my treble limit).

Feb 27, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #4,677 of 12,591
Hi Guys!
Can you help me with something?

I have the ATH IM50 and I love this little fellas!
I guess this makes me a basshead?

Even loving the IM50 I'd like to have an option with plenty of bass but with a bigger soundstage and clarity.
What would you recommend me?

The IM02 and IM03 seems to have great clarity and openness but won't have bass enough for me I'm correct about this?
The IM70 seems to be the same thing of IM50 but less bassy (more controlled thought). 

I was thing about geting the vsonic GR07 BASS edition but it seems to be treble heavy and I'm quite sensitive in this area. (I have already the Vsonic VSD3S with I love but that is my treble limit).
Aurisonics 2.5 , Forte, Harmony.

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #4,680 of 12,591
  I don't know the mechanics of buying from overseas in the UK, but Amazon USA has 2 pair
of the MDR7550 remaining, stocked in the USA, Amazon prime for $315
Amazon USA also lists 148 sellers of the EX800, almost all Japanese, starting at $207 w free ship.

It seems like USA availability is almost over, but getting them from Japan seems plentiful. I've bought
a few things from AmazonUK and it wasn't any particular hassle, is it different in the reverse direction?

I just got a set of MDR7550's yesterday and have been comparing and listening since. They definitely have
the bass. So far, I'd say these are a no brainer if you can get them around $200 or a bit more.

It is not difficult in reverse no, just the obvious results are greatly overpriced. Plus, we get charged 20% on top of that on import duties once it arrives in the country. 

I was actually pm'd a link to them for a good price, just waiting to hear some opinions on the sony vs the kicker from vap now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back