Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jan 9, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #3,453 of 12,597
  The Fiio "E17k Revolution without Equal Alpen EQ" and "E18 KUNLUN" are almost the same price on Amazon.ca....

Your recommendation would still be towards the E17k? 

Thanks again,
Mike

The E18 is technically a bit more powerful, but it has no bass boost. The E17k also uses a newer DAC chip that's more capable, but people would debate which of the two DAC chips is better.

If you want a lot of comparisons, you'll have to head over to a Fiio thread where they can claim more expertise on those amps than I can.

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #3,454 of 12,597
  The Fiio "E17k Revolution without Equal Alpen EQ" and "E18 KUNLUN" are almost the same price on Amazon.ca....

Your recommendation would still be towards the E17k? 

Thanks again,
Mike

The E18 is technically a bit more powerful, but it has no bass boost. The E17k also uses a newer DAC chip that's more capable, but people would debate which of the two DAC chips is better.

If you want a lot of comparisons, you'll have to head over to a Fiio thread where they can claim more expertise on those amps than I can.

The e18 does have bass boost.  

I would pick the e18, not because i'm selling one 
wink.gif
, but beause it does a lot for the money. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #3,456 of 12,597
Got my hands on some Sony EX800ST. So far only trying them direct out of the Fiio X1.

Very similar to the xb90ex but there's something different about them I can't quite figure out. They sound like when I amp them, they might dominate the xb90ex in bass quantity. Just out of the X1 unamped it is so powerful and clear yet sounds as though I'm not even close to pushing it to the limit

Edit, just a/b'd 90ex and 800st with a few tracks on the x1. It was just better in every way. If you are in team double XB90EX do yourself a favor get the 800ST.

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #3,458 of 12,597
I didn't like the Sony Xb90ex with my X1 at all. Not sure if it was my recordings, but heard some noise, and way underpowered. Going to try tonight using an amp.

Sometimes i get noise with my xb90ex easily if the cable is too close to my cell phone, i have found, regardless of source?
I don't dislike the xb90ex out of the X1 at all. just bump the low end on the EQ and it gives you enough thump to survive without an amp.
XB90EX and EX800ST both shine with an amp.
i'm a EX800ST convert btw. i love both my XB90EX but these are my new go to bass IEMS.

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #3,459 of 12,597
On my phone, the Sony is very quiet... X1 I had playing away from my phone, but it could have been my recordings. I have a mix of flac, some high res, and some lossy (poorly recorded underground tracks). I didn't listen too much as I was quite busy at home. I plan on giving it another shot tonight.

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #3,460 of 12,597
I do 95% of my listening with powerful amps and my X1 is good enough to hold me over the rest of the time. my sansa clip was just great actually, except it was too physically small for me, it got irritating to use.
love my x1 but i really need a portable amp... im thinking about finally buying that Arrow 5TX.
Glad I got my EX800ST shipped to work today because I've already put a solid 7 hours in on them. now using with complys :)

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #3,462 of 12,597

Sometimes i get noise with my xb90ex easily if the cable is too close to my cell phone, i have found, regardless of source?
I don't dislike the xb90ex out of the X1 at all. just bump the low end on the EQ and it gives you enough thump to survive without an amp.
XB90EX and EX800ST both shine with an amp.
i'm a EX800ST convert btw. i love both my XB90EX but these are my new go to bass IEMS.

Have you put any tape over the little vents? I am a huge fan as well. Hate the wires but love the fit (hooks) and sound

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #3,465 of 12,597

Users who are viewing this thread

Back