Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jan 7, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #3,421 of 12,597

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #3,422 of 12,597
Here is a great dap with the power of an external amp. Holds 2 TB.

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #3,423 of 12,597
  Which would have better bass, the asg kickers or the mdr7550? Aside from bass which has better soundstage/clarity? I was wondering since they're at a similar price point but the kickers seem much more comfortable and better at isolating.

I think the 7550 has better stage and clarity (and bass if the vent is covered.)
Stage and clarity diminish if the vent is covered but so is the 2.5 if the vent is full open.
The chord on the 7550 is a ******* nightmare. They are 500mW max and if you use a portable amp they are able to play car audio bass checks with more thunder than any IEM I have ever heard.
You will get differing opinions because we are not the borg around here and we don't shout each other down or act rude like some threads.

I disagree with jmills but he knows his stuff. It comes down to listening volumes,tips and tastes.
If you could get a warranty I'd grab them both and compare

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #3,424 of 12,597
I think the 7550 has better stage and clarity (and bass if the vent is covered.)
Stage and clarity diminish if the vent is covered but so is the 2.5 if the vent is full open.
The chord on the 7550 is a ******* nightmare. They are 500mW max and if you use a portable amp they are able to play car audio bass checks with more thunder than any IEM I have ever heard.
You will get differing opinions because we are not the borg around here and we don't shout each other down or act rude like some threads.

I disagree with jmills but he knows his stuff. It comes down to listening volumes,tips and tastes.
If you could get a warranty I'd grab them both and compare
my bad I thought he said RTH.

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #3,425 of 12,597
Here is a great dap with the power of an external amp. Holds 2 TB.

I just can't go back to the small screens. I'm a screen hoe on a pimp stroll with my Note 4 and she sexy
biggrin.gif

my bad I thought he said RTH.

Even if you disagreed it's healthy for the thread. Some threads are really a group of yes people. No benefit in that. Ironically bassheads are stereotyped and in reality the audiophiles are total ******** to each other and anyone who doesn't agree with them. My days of putting up with that **** is done. I got Contributor partly by being of assistance and organizing the bass folks into a group with areas of helpful support and discussion and that is where I am staying from now on.

Coming in from the Cold..

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #3,426 of 12,597
I agree, I prefer the larger screens as well. AK240 is the smallest I'd like to go, but that's even a compromise.

Really enjoying the Sony Xb90ex, I'm still in awe of these things. Only complaint, they hurt my ears a little, but for the price you pay, I can't complain much.

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #3,427 of 12,597
Thank you guys for the recommendation of both the xb90 and the cayin amp. Fantastic combo. Now, when I first got these they couldn't come close to my wooduo's (both unamped), but amped they destroy them. But lately I've been leaving my amp at home because I'm worried I'm going to damage it by always being in my pocket. I had a little time to fiddle with eq settings the other day and my xb's hit harder without an amp now than the wooduos. But I don't know anything about eq'ing. I did a little reading but it's a little over my head. Anyone care to critique my eq settings? I use these settings for bass music that doesn't have vocals or a lot of other stuff going on. Here's an example: https://soundcloud.com/pantyraidmusic/02-jail-bait

This is the eq I use for the rest of my music. https://soundcloud.com/dailyearfood/brig-contrition

Again, I don't know anything about eqing, and this was just by what I thought sounded better.

Now that I've got a good set of iem's I'm looking for an overear set that are equally as good. I've got it narrowed down to a few.
Sz1000- the price is just right and will keep the old lady from complaining. I think it'll work better for the music l posted above because it's not as veiled.

Sz2000- my wife isn't going to be as happy with the price. It's the current king of bass, and a big plus for me is the detachable chord.

M100- At this price I probably won't be able to buy another headphone for a long time, so I have to hope it's perfect for me. It's portability is appealing but honestly it'll probably be used at home for music and movies.

Mad Dogs- I don't know why this is on the list. The planar whatever deal has me a little curious but I don't know what kind of bass these have. I've read claims all over the board in this headphone.

Thoughts?

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #3,428 of 12,597
I'm running the C5 with them ad well, pairs perfectly.

I'm no expert with eq, but if it sounds good to your ears that's what matters.

Personally, I go more with a V shape. Have you tried bumping the bass up? Especially the 31hz...gives that nice extra sub bass. I also prefer the 250 down a bit.

It looks like you are basically lowering all of your frequencies in the first pic. I'm sure the more knowledgeable people will chime in.

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #3,429 of 12,597
I'll give it a bump at 31hz and cut a little at 250 and see how it goes. Right now it's almost overpowering the rest of the music, but I don't know if my equing is making the bass wash out some of the mids and vocals. The two things I'm trying to correct with my eq is to make the mids a little more detailed and to take away a little of the highs. It gets earpiercing sometimes so l don't know if l want to v it more. I'm also not sure if keeping everything below the preamp level is the right move, but it sounds ok so far. Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.

My source for music is always my Samsung s6, usually with the c5. 99% of the time I use poweramp for music on my phone, and 1% of the time I'm using soundcloud just to find new music.

For movies it's always plugged into my nvidia shield tv via c5 amp. I'm addicted to watching movies like this now.

Edit- so what I think you're saying is a little more at 31hz, but the cut at 250hz is confusing. So should I raise the 500hz and do my cut at 250? Hopefully that separates the low and mids a little.

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #3,432 of 12,597
I've find the 250 to be more of mid bass, which is why I lower it. But you are lowering the other frequencies that you want to hear better too. I'd raise the 500, definitely don't have that so low.
Here's what I came up with. I also fiddled with preamp some too. Thanks for the help, it sounds better.

Maybe someone could do a video on eq'ing for bassheads? Maybe some basics and protips you've picked up along the way? Sorry, I know it's time consuming but it would help us fledgling bassheads immensely.

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #3,433 of 12,597
here is a question:
which iems have the best punch bass but also alot of detail, balance and musicality?
e.g., think etymotic er4pt (good detail, clarity) but with a warmer signature and larger soundstage?

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #3,434 of 12,597
The XB90EX are so cheap. at least until sony realizes or more people realize how good they are. i have never heard the xb40ex, it's in the extra bass line of course but basically what I'm saying here is even if the XB40EX are good you should get the XB90EX because they're probably a lot better. If they're not, we should probably know if the XB40EX is a hidden gem... it looks similar to the 90EX but the 90EX looks more refined IMO so i wouldn't be surpised if the 90EX is a no question step up from the 40EX...

As someone who owns both, the 40ex's are in the bass category..they sound very similar in both mids and highs(90ex's slightly have a little more pull in those two) but the 40ex does in no way compare to the 90ex's in the boom boom category..the 90s thump!!. I believe the 40s have 13.5mm drivers compared to 16mm drivers on the 90s..the 90s will take a fair amount of eq but will distort if you try to push them...i would love to test drive the asg2.5s but i just cant see myself droping that kind of money on those...next purchase are the fx850s..i have been drooling over those since they came out.

Xb90ex on bottom
xb40ex in the middle

Dont mind the big cans, those are my dj headphones

Hope that helps
happy thumping!!

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #3,435 of 12,597
here is a question:
which iems have the best punch bass but also alot of detail, balance and musicality?
e.g., think etymotic er4pt (good detail, clarity) but with a warmer signature and larger soundstage?

ye nice question, for me it is trinity delta
bass and detail
like with any iem with better source they are even better.

Maybe someone could do a video on eq'ing for bassheads? Maybe some basics and protips you've picked up along the way? Sorry, I know it's time consuming but it would help us fledgling bassheads immensely.

lb and hb suggests lowering eq down and bring bass up and you get less bass distortion. you can ask them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back