Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jul 21, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #1,291 of 12,596

Awesome!!
Thanks for sharing.I love pictures and vids
biggrin.gif

love the cut to give that bass a good snap/punch and the sub bass lift for rumble.  I wonder if you try raising the 2k and the 8k  and playing with that....just an idea.

Yes! Interesting that you suggested that as I raise both 2-3k and 8k to "lift the veil" with this graph for my SZ2Ks. And the bass +3db, or more... 
L3000.gif

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #1,292 of 12,596
Audio Technica IM50.

Hmmmmmmm anybody know anything about these?? I'm a huge AT fan for over ears and haven't really even considered them for in ears.

But overall, if you're not going to amp, the already diminishing returns on headphones diminish even more.

I have to disagree with you here. Headphones make a HUGE difference. Massive. I can't for the life of me understand how an amp will increase my bass response when the m8 has a very impressive output already

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #1,293 of 12,596
When a kid says "Transparency" in his review he means lacking in bass. They try to use that word as if it is a good thing by later putting this in the review "lacks depth". He cant state the truth plainly cause ge doesnt want his term paper be his last.

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #1,294 of 12,596
Hmmmmmmm anybody know anything about these?? I'm a huge AT fan for over ears and haven't really even considered them for in ears.

I have to disagree with you here. Headphones make a HUGE difference. Massive. I can't for the life of me understand how an amp will increase my bass response when the m8 has a very impressive output already

Without an amp there would be nothing to see. Not enough bass/resonant energy to displace the paper from an apparently static fixed position.
Add the amp and it puts on a show...hit the switch and the basshead stuff happens.

When a kid says "Transparency" in his review he means lacking in bass. They try to use that word as if it is a good thing by later putting this in the review "lacks depth". He cant state the truth plainly cause ge doesnt want his term paper be his last.

LOL...term paper

He won't be a part of the next t**r if he doesn't get his term paper right
rolleyes.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #1,295 of 12,596

The IM50 and the IM70 has 2 Drivers. Two Dynamic Drivers and they produce deep bass and have a great sound stage. The Mids and treble are very good. The IM70 is closer to being neutral but its bass is very strong. I enjoy them as much as I enjoy $800 Dollar and up IEMs. I travel 2 to 3 hours a day walking, taking trains buses, mini buses and they are strong.

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #1,296 of 12,596

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but I didn't say that the headphones don't make a difference, quite the opposite. The comment referred to how much money I think you should be looking into spending for what you're trying to accomplish.

As far as the amp goes... with experience comes understanding. I was a non-believer for a long time too.

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #1,297 of 12,596

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but I didn't say that the headphones don't make a difference, quite the opposite. The comment referred to how much money I think you should be looking into spending for what you're trying to accomplish.

As far as the amp goes... with experience comes understanding. I was a non-believer for a long time too.

What he said. Headphones make a bigger difference than anything, then amp, then dac and/or source (last two are arguable), then you get into the insane nitty gritty with cables and power and the like.

I used to think it was all about the headphone. Then, I bought a sound card for my computer and could perceive significant improvement over the motherboard's output.

So I bought an amp, and I could only tell a small difference between the sound card and amp. Then I got a dac, and I couldn't tell a difference apart from a few select songs, but I did notice less likelihood for distortion with a good dac. Source material I can't really distinguish between 44.1 and 96 because my ears aren't as good as some of these people. Cables I've never been able to hear a difference.

The difference between a the Sony MDR-XB90EX direct from my Galaxy S5 and through a Cayin C5 is not exactly night and day, but it's noon and afternoon. Then you flick the bass switch and it's dusk to dawn. Without a decent amp--even with EQ--you don't get the deep, throaty bass out of most headphones. And it's not just about volume, it's also about delivering the sound cleanly and somehow with more authority.

The more expensive a headphone is, generally the more likely it is going to scale up and sound better with a good amp. Some of it is about impedance, but some of it is some sort of strange audiophile magic that I can't understand. My Sennheiser HD650 sound pretty mediocre driven from a phone (the HD555 sound better from a phone than the HD650), but great from my amps.

The Wooduo 2 sounds pretty much identically good from a phone and with an amp. The Sony MDR-XB90EX sounds considerably better from an amp. Without an amp, directly driven by my Galaxy S5, I actually prefer the Wooduo 2 to the Sony. The Sony sounds a little robotic somehow without an amp. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #1,301 of 12,596
They're pretty good without an amp and are very light. However, they're a little notorious for breaking after a few months. If you break normal earphones you might want to avoid them.

It is true, my wooduo 2 got broke after about 10-20 hours of usage. One of the drivers started giving severe flex and stays flexed when in ear.   

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #1,302 of 12,596

What he said. Headphones make a bigger difference than anything, then amp, then dac and/or source (last two are arguable), then you get into the insane nitty gritty with cables and power and the like.

I agree.

Headphones will make the difference and it should be your first investment. 

I do it like this:
I choose an headphone that will play a certain range of music that I like.  This is the same way I choose my speakers.  In between that I buy other stuff just to mess around with.
I get an amplifier that is way more powerful that what my headphone can handle, just like with my home stereo setup.  This way you never run out of head room and in this case you will have bass for days.  Distortion(clipping your amp) will kill your headphones/speakers first, before you burning out the voicecoils from over current.
The source has to be good.  There is no point of amplifying crap.  I said good, not high end.  I listened to high end sources and sure they sound good, but the sound difference is just too small for that big of an investment.  And since your are EQing, what is the point really.
Dac's,  for me it has to be a good one with a sound signature that I like.  Again, high end stuff is not needed.  My favorite dac is the old Ibasso that I'm still using.  Looks funny in my home setup, but dammit I love it.  It's just hilarious seeing that little dac/amp hooked up to some fat Monster RCA cables that plugs into a Henry Engineering Match box that converts to a balanced output.  
Cables, yea the do make a difference.  The thing is that you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for good cables.  Silver enhances your higher frequencies a bit.  Good copper gives you that nice deep lowend.  This is what my ears and my kids ears hear.  Now if you can't hear a difference, don't spend the money.  I use a variety of wire gauges throughout my system, because I hear no sound difference with certain equipment in my rigs when going to thicker cables.  
Connectors, well I personally like tight fitting connectors.  Is there a sound difference?  Not that I can tell.

So I recently chose to my eyes an ears a decent Planar headphone that will scale up with power and sound processors.  Again, I didn't want to spend too much either.  So it became the Hifiman 400i.  By default it is too "bright" for me, so EQ to the rescue.  It plays well with my Fiio E12A.  Sounds louder with my Fiio E9, but lacks subbass that you can feel in your cheek bones and lower jaw. Subbass authority was still lacking even with the use of a BBE processor and EQ.  So a better amp was needed to supply the needed current to push the Planars properly to the subbass nirvana.  I made a variable resistor box that hooks up straight into 40W per channel NAD amp.  Let me tell that I can reach the excursion limit of those planars with the  sub bass now.  You just don't realize how deep you can push your bass when you are not power limited.  The planars play clean right up to the limit.  Is fun to have a open  back headphone that can satisfy your bass head needs and massaging your face properly, with sound stage to boot.  

So yes, amps make all the difference, especially for the Basshead group.

This is my Bass station with "pretty" lights.  Not mobile ofcourse.  My mobile bass setup consist of Iphone 4s, Fiio E12A, BBE app, Kaisertone and Pioneer vibrators.

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #1,303 of 12,596

The Wooduo 2 sounds pretty much identically good from a phone and with an amp. The Sony MDR-XB90EX sounds considerably better from an amp. Without an amp, directly driven by my Galaxy S5, I actually prefer the Wooduo 2 to the Sony. The Sony sounds a little robotic somehow without an amp. 

This is what I was getting at. This is an attribute (where the sound doesn't scale up with better amp/source) generally found only in the more budget end of the headphone spectrum. So if you're not going to amp, I just don't see the need and/or benefit to go outside of the sub $100 range. Even more so if you don't feel like babying your headphones (which is fine). 

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #1,304 of 12,596
  So, I haven't heard the wooduo 2's, reviews say basshead, but can't comment.

But overall, if you're not going to amp, the already diminishing returns on headphones diminish even more. I would check out carbo basso, jvc fx1x, monoprice extra bass in ears... The xb90ex would be your natural choice, except for the mic. I use them un-amped on an iphone6 using spotify and its wack eq to push the bass when I'm commuting, but I drastically prefer them with an amp, and hard to say if they're better than the budgets when unamped, especially if you have access to decent eq.

There isn't too much indepth information about budget bass iem's on here, and not really a consensus about what's best. Someone should start at thread/section that's all about the sub-$100 bass champ with no amp and minimal eq....

i bought a pair of them here when i first joined because i enjoy bass.  i listen to mostly hip hop and other bass heavy music like trap/edm.  they are bass heavy and don't distort.  i felt like they lacked in other areas though.  the soundstage was small and they seemed very veiled to me.  they lacked energy, airiness and separation.   i preferred the sound of my cheap xiaomi piston 2's i had at the time.  i was disappointed in the wooduo2 and i only paid $50 for them if i recall correctly.  i sold them to another headfier and he didn't like them either and sold them very shortly after receiving them from me.  i know this is all subjective.  so if bass is ALL you're after, they may be the perfect choice for you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back