Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jul 21, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #1,277 of 12,596
why'd you delete your comment???  you mentioned the futuresonics g10. 

they seem a bit out of my price range.  i would like to avoid climbing the figurative audiophile ladder to grab that extra tiny bit of performance for that extra huge wad of bills. 

i just want something reasonable in the treble, not harsh.  butter mids.  and satan's bowel movement sub bass.  for $100.  is that SOOO much to ask?  lol just playing but yeah

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #1,278 of 12,596
  why'd you delete your comment???  you mentioned the futuresonics g10. 

they seem a bit out of my price range.  i would like to avoid climbing the figurative audiophile ladder to grab that extra tiny bit of performance for that extra huge wad of bills. 

i just want something reasonable in the treble, not harsh.  butter mids.  and satan's bowel movement sub bass.  for $100.  is that SOOO much to ask?  lol just playing but yeah

Yeah that's why I deleted it lol-  the evil Head-Fi habit of recommending people things that are just out of the price range they ask about . If you don't mind used might be able to snag for $150ish - great bass, the mids and treble are very flat monitor-style to my ears (rather than 'butter mids' or harsh treble- though some people find flat treble harsh so idk). I didn't like the biflange tips so some westone tips add another $15
tongue_smile.gif

I did try out the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore recently which has some degree of subs (not brown note territory though), warm mids,  and inoffensive treble, great for $30, build quality is probably not much better than your Pioneer experience. They also make the Carbo Basso and Duoza which are supposedly have tighter bass.

I'd suggest doing a thread search for the xb90 if no one replies directly, I think there were a couple different impressions recently- do use any sort of EQ or amplifier? Much of the discussion is centered around that.

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,279 of 12,596
build quality is probably not much better than your Pioneer experience.

Yeah, I was super bummed. For $150 you expect something to last longer than a few weeks. My velodynes lasted me at least a year. I got them on a good deal for like $40. Right channel died on them eventually
I'd suggest doing a thread search for the xb90 if no one replies directly, I think there were a couple different impressions recently- do use any sort of EQ or amplifier? Much of the discussion is centered around that.

No amp. I'm playing off an htc one m8 with power amp installed as my eq. If I do apply eq I use *very* little as I prefer to let the mixing engineer do the talking. My minimum quality is mp3 @320 and I mostly listen to 320 with the occasional flac

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #1,280 of 12,596
with above eq i get very good bass with xb90ex.

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #1,281 of 12,596
I can boost 30 hz all day with power amp, and it's fairly clean for a software eq that cost 5$. The m8 outputs plenty of juice. My main interest is portability with an iem. Why on earth wouldn't I use over ears or studio monitors at home??? Never understood hooking up a fat hifi system for iems.....

Anyway I'm not gonna get an amp. Just looking for some recommendations on bassy semi decent $100 iems.

I should also note that I'm going back to university soon and want something that can comfortably survive bus and train usage, walking and jogging, and being shoved indiscriminately into my pack

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #1,282 of 12,596
I can boost 30 hz all day with power amp, and it's fairly clean for a software eq that cost 5$. The m8 outputs plenty of juice. My main interest is portability with an iem. Why on earth wouldn't I use over ears or studio monitors at home??? Never understood hooking up a fat hifi system for iems.....

Anyway I'm not gonna get an amp. Just looking for some recommendations on bassy semi decent $100 iems.

I should also note that I'm going back to university soon and want something that can comfortably survive bus and train usage, walking and jogging, and being shoved indiscriminately into my pack

you can try xb90ex and with above eq you get good bass, as good as sony cd player with bass boost on second position from iphone.
im sure it will survive buss comuting to university unless if you bash it of a wall then ye it will probably break.

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,283 of 12,596
im sure it will survive buss comuting to university unless if you bash it of a wall then ye it will probably break.

Well I'm not worried about the AMP breaking. It's just... I don't want my pockets all cluttered with stuff all the time. I have to carry around my phone AND a pocket amp? That's just mad annoying. 95% chance I'm not gonna get an amp. Just too much of a hassle for on-the-go listening.

Can the xb90ex's comfortably survive being shoved into pockets and backpacks all the time?? In retrospect I'm pretty sure that's what killed all my pioneers

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #1,284 of 12,596
Can the xb90ex's comfortably survive being shoved into pockets and backpacks all the time?? In retrospect I'm pretty sure that's what killed all my pioneers

i think they can, they feel cheap but durable.

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #1,285 of 12,596
I'm surprised the Pioneers died so quickly. I've had them for a few months without issue, but I also put them back in their case when I'm done listening. The Sony MDR-XB90EX have better sub-bass extension with less impact (because the Pioneer does it artifically). They also sound better and feel more durable.

I don't know of any basshead IEMs with mic/phone controls apart from the Pioneer SE-CX8/9. All the others I've tested have been unworthy of recommendation.

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #1,286 of 12,596
Yeah it surprised me too. That's why I took the benefit of the doubt on three straight pairs. Alas, I literally NEVER put them back in the case. I carry em in my pocket or console in my car. Huge disappointment because I enjoyed their sound, but on to the next!

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #1,290 of 12,596
How about these wooduo 2's? Are they still well regarded here?

So, I haven't heard the wooduo 2's, reviews say basshead, but can't comment.

But overall, if you're not going to amp, the already diminishing returns on headphones diminish even more. I would check out carbo basso, jvc fx1x, monoprice extra bass in ears... The xb90ex would be your natural choice, except for the mic. I use them un-amped on an iphone6 using spotify and its wack eq to push the bass when I'm commuting, but I drastically prefer them with an amp, and hard to say if they're better than the budgets when unamped, especially if you have access to decent eq.

There isn't too much indepth information about budget bass iem's on here, and not really a consensus about what's best. Someone should start at thread/section that's all about the sub-$100 bass champ with no amp and minimal eq....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back