Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Aug 30, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #11,446 of 12,595
Looks like IMR does have some coupon codes on their Facebook. It's a word search, and some of the words are coupon codes. I think I found them all but nothing as flashy as the 25% from a couple weeks ago. Max was -200 GBP off of new, and -50 off of B-Stock. There were a couple free shipping codes as well, but I believe the money off where bigger than the shipping discount (my shipping was only 10 GBP)

Aug 30, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #11,447 of 12,595
I'm still tossing up regarding buying some basshead IEMs... However as I generally like to listen at what's probably considered excessive volume, is this going to pose more of a risk of hearing damage as opposed to over-ears?

Food for thought!?

Aug 31, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #11,448 of 12,595
Looks like IMR does have some coupon codes on their Facebook. It's a word search, and some of the words are coupon codes. I think I found them all but nothing as flashy as the 25% from a couple weeks ago. Max was -200 GBP off of new, and -50 off of B-Stock. There were a couple free shipping codes as well, but I believe the money off where bigger than the shipping discount (my shipping was only 10 GBP)

I saw a message on the IMR Facebook feed that the R1 is being discontinued and will be replaced by a new IEM for 2019. Probably just posted as an encouragement to buy now, but who knows how many are left?

Aug 31, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #11,449 of 12,595
I saw a message on the IMR Facebook feed that the R1 is being discontinued and will be replaced by a new IEM for 2019. Probably just posted as an encouragement to buy now, but who knows how many are left?

yep saw that as well. Now I'm not sure if I should get the R1, or wait for the next version :grin:

I wasn't around (was still happy with my Kickers) when the R1 was introduced. Do you guys know how long after R1 was introduced before they put out that 25% off on B-stock?

If IMR is saying they release every year, and let's say "R2" gets released on Jan, I guess don't mind waiting if there will be B-stock again and if they will be discounted within the next 1 or 2 months. I don't think I can wait until next summer though if it'll take them that long to do a big discount

I guess another option, anyone here interested in selling their R1 so you guys can get your "R2"? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I see there's one on the Classified from @menuki which seems to be priced ok. I pm'ed and am hoping he would reply back soon.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #11,450 of 12,595
Can anyone compare the r1’s to he SE846? I already have a pair of the r1’s and absolutely love the bass. I was eyeing a pair of the shure’s But I don’t know if it is worth it. I also own the se425’s and absolutely love the fit of them, but there is less than no bass. Any help is appreciated.

Sep 1, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #11,451 of 12,595
Can anyone compare the r1’s to he SE846? I already have a pair of the r1’s and absolutely love the bass. I was eyeing a pair of the shure’s But I don’t know if it is worth it. I also own the se425’s and absolutely love the fit of them, but there is less than no bass. Any help is appreciated.

I owned the SE846 for years, and while I respect the hell out of them, the sound signature left out too much high treble for me. Everything thing else was spectacular. Bass was awesome. R1 has more deep bass though. SE846 was the best made iem I ever owned. I’m waiting for a SE946 or whatever. SE846, best mids I ever heard. I just wish it had more shimmer up top, and more soundstage.

Sep 2, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #11,452 of 12,595
I owned the SE846 for years, and while I respect the hell out of them, the sound signature left out too much high treble for me. Everything thing else was spectacular. Bass was awesome. R1 has more deep bass though. SE846 was the best made iem I ever owned. I’m waiting for a SE946 or whatever. SE846, best mids I ever heard. I just wish it had more shimmer up top, and more soundstage.
Thanks for the input. I’m trying to decide if I should get the shure 846 for around $700 or the Westone w60’s for the full $1k. I’ve also heard the westones had really good bass.

Sep 2, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #11,453 of 12,595
Thanks for the input. I’m trying to decide if I should get the shure 846 for around $700 or the Westone w60’s for the full $1k. I’ve also heard the westones had really good bass.

I auditioned the w60’s briefly and was very impressed. I would get the iSine 20’s. Awesome all around, especially bass. You can get em for under $400 now at Audio 46.

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #11,455 of 12,595
Sony MDR-XB90EX no sound on one side:
Anyone heard of Sony XB90EX left/right driver just giving out one day to the next? Not abused, kept in clamshell hardcase, no visible damage, cable checked, sources checked. Left side is just dead. [...]

Reporting back as i finally managed to open them up (the black plastic "cover" with the L/R rubber marking thingy can be pried around the edges with a sharp knife). The driver seems dead as there is no reading from my multimeter directly on the solder pads where the wires are attached. Weirdly enough even the metal "shell" of the driver gives an ohm reading. Should the coil in the driver just "break" like that? I mean obviously its does since so many people are reporting this from their XB90EX.

Too bad.

Anyone can compare the BGVP-DMG with the IMR-R1? Our resident Basshead-Jesus doesn't want to test the IMR-R1 but gave a rave review to the BGVP-DMG.

IMR seems to be cashing in since he is not selling any more B- stock for 250€.
~280€ is the upper end of the wallet pain tolerance...

Will audio quality benefit from 800 mW (cayin C5) over the 200 mW out of the balanced port on the Fiio Q1MK2 or does it just get louder beyond X amount of required mW for a specific headphone?

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #11,456 of 12,595
Sony MDR-XB90EX no sound on one side:

Reporting back as i finally managed to open them up (the black plastic "cover" with the L/R rubber marking thingy can be pried around the edges with a sharp knife). The driver seems dead as there is no reading from my multimeter directly on the solder pads where the wires are attached. Weidly enough even the metal "shell" of the driver gives an ohm reading. Should the coil in the driver just "break" like that? I mean obviously its does since so many people are reporting this from their XB90EX.

Too bad.

Anyone can compare the BGVP-DMG with the IMR-R1? Our resident Basshead-Jesus doesn't want to test the IMR-R1 but gave a rave review to the BGVP-DMG.

IMR seems to be cashing in since he is not selling any more B- stock for 250€.
~280€ is the upper end of the wallet pain tolerance...

Will audio quality benefit from 800 mW (cayin C5) over the 200 mW out of the balanced port on the Fiio Q1MK2 or does it just get louder beyond X amount of required mW for a specific headphone?

I saw the same video he did about the BGVP DMG and almost bought them immediately at that price point, but decided to wait. I think the R1 price is too high given the previous track record and the Trinity Sabres I have are difficult to get comfortable and sit in my drawer. If I bought something in that price range I personally would look into established manufacturers vs IMR or go the cheaper chifi route.

Makes me wonder...if the R1 is so good, why discontinue so quickly?

The video did make me think the BGVP is a great choice for all around listening. HBB didn't reply to my question about basshead potential.

Sep 5, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #11,457 of 12,595
I saw the same video he did about the BGVP DMG and almost bought them immediately at that price point, but decided to wait. I think the R1 price is too high given the previous track record and the Trinity Sabres I have are difficult to get comfortable and sit in my drawer. If I bought something in that price range I personally would look into established manufacturers vs IMR or go the cheaper chifi route.

Makes me wonder...if the R1 is so good, why discontinue so quickly?

The video did make me think the BGVP is a great choice for all around listening. HBB didn't reply to my question about basshead potential.

I’ve got a barely used XB90EX for sale, only $175. It has about 4-5 hours on it, if that. All accessories are included. PM me if interested.

Sep 6, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #11,458 of 12,595
I’ve got a barely used XB90EX for sale, only $175. It has about 4-5 hours on it, if that. All accessories are included. PM me if interested.
Good offer; though sad as i am to let them go, i got mine for 80€ new in 2013 ish. Not spending double plus international shipping for a used IEM that will just stop working out of the blue. When i can post classifieds ima look for a set where the right side is broken :p...if that exists.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #11,459 of 12,595
Makes me wonder...if the R1 is so good, why discontinue so quickly?.

From what I've read on facebook, he said he was planning on releasing a new IEM every year. Although I was not around when R1 came out, so I'm not sure if that's only been around for a year so far?

Anyone can compare the BGVP-DMG with the IMR-R1? Our resident Basshead-Jesus doesn't want to test the IMR-R1 but gave a rave review to the BGVP-DMG

Interested in this as well, seeing that BGVP-DMG can be had for pretty much half the price of IMR-R1 and is available in the US. I'm looking for a replacement for my Aurisonic Kickers

Sep 10, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #11,460 of 12,595
Good day everyone,
I'm looking for a bass-head IEM that has an emphasis on bass-punch.
I'm hoping to have an IEM that can work with mostly any genre, but I like listening to video game OST, instrumental and hip-hop.

My budget is $300 as of now. I prefer an IEM that I can wear down and doesn't weigh a lot.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back