Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Aug 6, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #11,431 of 12,596
Well after doing a load more research, I've decided to go for a pair of IMR R1. Fingers crossed they meet what I'm looking for, they look like excellent headphones.

I've just got these myself. Early days and a lot of experimentation to do, but with the default black filter in place I have never heard so much bass when connected directly to my Sony A45 DAP.

It feels as though the R1 has got as much bass unamped as the XB90 do when properly amped and the rest of the frequency range is much better too. I'll need to revisit my XB90/Cayin C5 combination to check and I guess I should have expected the rest of the frequencies to sound better given that the R1 is a £500 IEM at full price.

Aug 6, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #11,432 of 12,596
I've just got these myself. Early days and a lot of experimentation to do, but with the default black filter in place I have never heard so much bass when connected directly to my Sony A45 DAP.

It feels as though the R1 has got as much bass unamped as the XB90 do when properly amped and the rest of the frequency range is much better too. I'll need to revisit my XB90/Cayin C5 combination to check and I guess I should have expected the rest of the frequencies to sound better given that the R1 is a £500 IEM at full price.

Do you think the R1 would make a good daily for using on public transport? I'm kinda sick of transporting my TH900's everywhere

Aug 7, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #11,434 of 12,596
Do you think the R1 would make a good daily for using on public transport? I'm kinda sick of transporting my TH900's everywhere
That’s what I’m using it for at the moment, and it seems pretty good for that. The isolation isn’t perhaps the best I have known, but it isn’t bad by any means. I am using them straight out of a Sony A45 DAP with great results, so it is a lot easier than most of my other basshead IEMs that need an amp to get going properly.

My main issue is that I recently bought two ‘convenience’ pairs to use when commuting with my iPhone/Apple Watch. The convenience is so great being able to control directly from the watch and have no wires, but neither sound as good as the R1.

I have got the B&O Play E8 IEMs, which look, feel and operate great, but don’t really sound very good in comparison to decent wired IEMs. I have also got the Nuraphone, and these do a great impression of basshead phones for certain types of music but are a little inconsistent and too hot to wear in the current UK heatwave!

Next step is to try the R1 with my iPhone instead of the A45, and then maybe even add a microphone cable.

Aug 14, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #11,435 of 12,596

The R1 and Cayin C5 combo is absolutely redicilous in terms of bass quantity, and with a warm source, shows how much bass the R1 can handle (which is seemingly endless).

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #11,438 of 12,596
I owned it for 2 years. I really loved everything about it but the sound quality. It had great bass, mids were too forward but very clear. The treble is where I just couldn’t love. It didn’t have enough extension for me and it had all low treble.

Is there something else you'd reccomend? I'm trying to find a high end IEM for daily use (on train etc), that can make my brain sparkle.. Currently I'm using Th900mk2 over ears, but their lack of isolation is a little worrying, plus bulky!

Beyerdynamic Xelento look interesting

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #11,439 of 12,596
Is there something else you'd reccomend? I'm trying to find a high end IEM for daily use (on train etc), that can make my brain sparkle.. Currently I'm using Th900mk2 over ears, but their lack of isolation is a little worrying, plus bulky!

I've also been looking for something similar to th-600 in IEM form. Imr R1 is what I went with. Let me know if you find any other models.

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #11,440 of 12,596
I've also been looking for something similar to th-600 in IEM form. Imr R1 is what I went with. Let me know if you find any other models.

I might pick up a pair of R1's blindly then as they don't exist in New Zealand.. I hate being isolated down here lol!

I've read a lot of good reports on the R1 in here, but haven't heard much about its overall sound signature

So you prefer the R1 over the SE846?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #11,441 of 12,596

I almost bought the Xelento a couple of times. I’d say IMR R1. Also, take a look at the Fidue Sirius A91. It’s an impressive iem. Xelento is nice too. Massdrop Noble 10. Funny, I thought isine 20’s would be bad to commute with, but I’ve taken the train and subway many times with them and they were fine

Aug 24, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #11,442 of 12,596
i just got these, they are triple dynamic driver setup, the sound is smooth and similar to the old Sony MH1C but with better mids and more bass, similar in sound to the old M Audio studiophile Q40 to, they sound better than Fender FXA 2 ala Kicker, and are 10 times cheaper, i purchased two more backup pairs after the first one, they are that good, the bass is big and tight, they have a little bit to much mid bass for me, 3db down at 100 and 150hz and 5db boost under 50hz make wonders to the sound, massive and tight bass with amazing rumble in the sub bass that never distorts
some impressions and measurements - https://audiobudget.com/product/I-INTO/i8
I-INTO-i8-Earphone-3-Dynamic-Drive-HI-FI-Earphones-Ear-Bud-In-Ear-Stereo-Rock.jpg_640x640.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #11,443 of 12,596
Hi guys, I had an Aurisonics Kicker and loved it. Unfortunately the bass on the one ear recently started to sound more muffled compared to the other ear.

I was looking into getting another Kicker, or maybe the ASG. I didn't realize Aurisonics has recently been bought by Fender, and both the Kicker and ASG are no longer in production.

I'm looking for something else to replace. Mainly something that I can run from a Samsung Galaxy S7 without an amp. It seems the IMR R1 has been getting good reviews recently? The $300ish USD B-Stock looks interesting. It sucks I missed the 25% promotion from a couple weeks ago.

Any other options around $200 that I should consider?

Aug 30, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #11,444 of 12,596
Hi guys, I had an Aurisonics Kicker and loved it. Unfortunately the bass on the one ear recently started to sound more muffled compared to the other ear.

I was looking into getting another Kicker, or maybe the ASG. I didn't realize Aurisonics has recently been bought by Fender, and both the Kicker and ASG are no longer in production.

I'm looking for something else to replace. Mainly something that I can run from a Samsung Galaxy S7 without an amp. It seems the IMR R1 has been getting good reviews recently? The $300ish USD B-Stock looks interesting. It sucks I missed the 25% promotion from a couple weeks ago.

Any other options around $200 that I should consider?

I can't recommend anything other than the R1 at the moment, it is the only one I'm listening to now. Check IMR's Facebook page as discount codes come up there from time to time. The B stock seems to be running out now, although it comes and goes, so who knows how many there actually are!

Aug 30, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #11,445 of 12,596
I can't recommend anything other than the R1 at the moment, it is the only one I'm listening to now. Check IMR's Facebook page as discount codes come up there from time to time. The B stock seems to be running out now, although it comes and goes, so who knows how many there actually are!

There were still some A+ and B+ grade ones when I checked yesterday. I signed up for their newsletter to see if they would send out discounts. I will also check out their Facebook. Thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back