Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
May 24, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #10,966 of 12,592
These are my first impressions from the N3AP thread. I am thinking of writing a review in a few weeks.
how bout sound stage

May 24, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #10,967 of 12,592
I think soundstage is quite good. Depth is excellent, width is more than fine. I listen to a lot of EDM, R&B etc. and it feels like being in a club. I've also tried some classical and it feels like I'm in one of the middle rows. It certainly doesn't feel closed-in and suffocating.

May 24, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #10,968 of 12,592
These are my first impressions from the N3AP thread. I am thinking of writing a review in a few weeks.
sounds really good i wonder just how they compare to sony xba z5 which i had

May 24, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #10,969 of 12,592
May 27, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #10,970 of 12,592
I also propose n3 as a basshead earphone... I mean if xb90ex is in the list or something like yamaha pro 500 in the other thread, I dont understand why n3 shouldnt be on the list. The quality of the LCP driver is better than many other sonys. Most probably the people haven't tested yet.

I mean if this is not the response of a true subbasshead phone, I dont know what it is :) Plus look how good the 10khz+ is from the BA driver , compared to the full dynamic earphones.

5a03306d5cd4d1795c01545979ad50a5.png

Plus who knows what happens when you amp it properly and EQ the bass :wink:

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #10,971 of 12,592
Plus who knows what happens when you amp it properly and EQ the bas
I've said it before, some pages back, this little Sony kicks serious bass power.
EQ and amp through a Fiio e17k and what happens? Potential eardrum rupture is what happens :wink: They can pound a hole in your head... easily. And still retain the full texture of the bass, playing deep dub you can hear every rattle and hum of the strings, without loose "boom" just detailed subbass, down to the depths. :)
High-end details are not compromised, as the tiny magnesium BA handles the highs with sibilance free ease.
Pretty obviously, I luv'em. :) Full on Sony fan.
Clever Sony tech, unbeaten by anything (at any price) that I've heard.
xba-n3_review_007.jpg

May 27, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #10,972 of 12,592
Indeed, N3AP is the most lifelike sounding, most musical IEM I've ever heard. And I've heard (and had) IEMs like K10, S-EM9 etc. None of them has N3's timbre and bass quality. Now thinking of buying MDR-Z1R because of N3's lovely sound. :darthsmile:

May 28, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #10,973 of 12,592
It does actually.
I just went balanced on mine with the rest of my gear and love em. The EX sony series is legit and stands the test of time. Just listened to the iT03 and ...nah....ill pass.
It03 is generally a crowd pleaser. Might be a little hyped but I think they're ok...with that being said I'm looking for an upgrade/sidegrade. What makes you say you'll pass on em? Willing to make a couple comparisons?

May 28, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #10,974 of 12,592
I'm about to pull the trigger on the mdr7550/800st.
Currently have no amp/dac but have been recommended the fiio q1 on this forum. Would that be enough to drive it?
I'm wondering what the difference is amped and unamped.

May 28, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #10,975 of 12,592
I'm about to pull the trigger on the mdr7550/800st.
Currently have no amp/dac but have been recommended the fiio q1 on this forum. Would that be enough to drive it?
I'm wondering what the difference is amped and unamped.

What is your current source? Have you not tried EQ + an amp with any of the headphones in your signature either?
To sound their best some headphones like the xb90 just need a bit extra power than a typical phone or small mp3 player provide.
In the context of this thread, when you EQ bass frequencies this tends to increase the need for power to avoid distortion.
Depends on the power requirements (i.e. sensitivity, max sustained input, impedance) of the headphone, but for the right ones an amp (or any sufficiently powerful source) allows you to push these frequencies more without breaking up the sound.
On the other hand some headphones have pretty low limitations on input and boosting the bass too much with an amp behind it can damage the driver.
XB90 and 7550/800 on first impression are not the bassiest IEMs but they also have relatively high maximum power input spec so you can boost the bass with less risk.

May 28, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #10,976 of 12,592
What is your current source? Have you not tried EQ + an amp with any of the headphones in your signature either?
To sound their best some headphones like the xb90 just need a bit extra power than a typical phone or small mp3 player provide.
In the context of this thread, when you EQ bass frequencies this tends to increase the need for power to avoid distortion.
Depends on the power requirements (i.e. sensitivity, max sustained input, impedance) of the headphone, but for the right ones an amp (or any sufficiently powerful source) allows you to push these frequencies more without breaking up the sound.
On the other hand some headphones have pretty low limitations on input and boosting the bass too much with an amp behind it can damage the driver.
XB90 and 7550/800 on first impression are not the bassiest IEMs but they also have relatively high maximum power input spec so you can boost the bass with less risk.

With my xb90's I eq'd it with neutron player and a fiio K1 amp/dac. Very entry level. This was some time ago. I am by no means an extreme audiophile, but I do like my bass and not light at all. The only bass that has kept me happy was my xb90 with k1 amp/dac. My xb90's sadly do not work anymore as the wire tore at the y split.

I Current source is just my iphone>nhr-21's and its good. I cannot find my K1 or torn xb90's after moving so, I'm just looking to stop beating around the bush for bass and ultimately just build a setup which can keep me happy.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #10,977 of 12,592
With my xb90's I eq'd it with neutron player and a fiio K1 amp/dac. Very entry level. This was some time ago. I am by no means an extreme audiophile, but I do like my bass and not light at all. The only bass that has kept me happy was my xb90 with k1 amp/dac. My xb90's sadly do not work anymore as the wire tore at the y split.

I Current source is just my iphone>nhr-21's and its good. I cannot find my K1 or torn xb90's after moving so, I'm just looking to stop beating around the bush for bass and ultimately just build a setup which can keep me happy.

Oh ok so you have more experience than I assumed, sorry! Q1 has 190mW into 32 ohm which is double the K1, looks like a pretty decent entry level portable amp.
I don't have ether ex800 or Q1 so hopefully someone else can recommend if thisi s good combo or not.

May 28, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #10,978 of 12,592
It03 is generally a crowd pleaser. Might be a little hyped but I think they're ok...with that being said I'm looking for an upgrade/sidegrade. What makes you say you'll pass on em? Willing to make a couple comparisons?

Stage is NOT what was claimed IMO. About that of FLC8 which is regular. Bass of the A83 one said? That set really has no bass and the iT03 have much more but it is not a good set out of the box if the bass to mids transition is crucial and it is to me coming from EX series sony. It....of course, needs burn in. Of course it does. Of course it does..... <<<<Company advice

I have discovered I am not a fan of hybrids. The idea is epic for bass lovers but nobody including 1-$2,000 sets can do it like a single dynamic.

I agree they are alright and a bit overhyped. i enjoy the FLC8 more.

May 28, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #10,979 of 12,592
I've said it before, some pages back, this little Sony kicks serious bass power.
EQ and amp through a Fiio e17k and what happens? Potential eardrum rupture is what happens :wink: They can pound a hole in your head... easily. And still retain the full texture of the bass, playing deep dub you can hear every rattle and hum of the strings, without loose "boom" just detailed subbass, down to the depths. :)
High-end details are not compromised, as the tiny magnesium BA handles the highs with sibilance free ease.
Pretty obviously, I luv'em. :) Full on Sony fan.
Clever Sony tech, unbeaten by anything (at any price) that I've heard.

I am such a Sony homer.....and you are tempting me..

May 29, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #10,980 of 12,592
Stage is NOT what was claimed IMO. About that of FLC8 which is regular. Bass of the A83 one said? That set really has no bass and the iT03 have much more but it is not a good set out of the box if the bass to mids transition is crucial and it is to me coming from EX series sony. It....of course, needs burn in. Of course it does. Of course it does..... <<<<Company advice

I have discovered I am not a fan of hybrids. The idea is epic for bass lovers but nobody including 1-$2,000 sets can do it like a single dynamic.

I agree they are alright and a bit overhyped. i enjoy the FLC8 more.

Spot on. Stage isn't crap compared to less "audiophile approved" choices like the ie80. I want to like hybrids so badly but something doesn't sound quite right with the it03. Not 3d enough? Not enough texture or depth in the bass? Not thick/vivid enough mids? I'm not even sure anymore. I just want a single dynamic to take on the go with me. The search continues. I appreciate your take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back