Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Feb 9, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #10,336 of 12,592
I received a used pair of the 7550's today. Really good IEMs. Its signature reminds me of the ATH-CKR10 with possibly better treble articulation and more natural upper midrange (though it's been like a year since I've had the ATH-CKR10).

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but taping the vent and going on higher volumes with bass boost could damage the drivers, correct?

EDIT: These isolate surprisingly well despite some mentions of below average isolation. I'm swapping between JVC spiral dots and Spinfit eartips.

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #10,337 of 12,592
  I received a used pair of the 7550's today. Really good IEMs. Its signature reminds me of the ATH-CKR10 with possibly better treble articulation and more natural upper midrange (though it's been like a year since I've had the ATH-CKR10).

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but taping the vent and going on higher volumes with bass boost could damage the drivers, correct?

EDIT: These isolate surprisingly well despite some mentions of below average isolation. I'm swapping between JVC spiral dots and Spinfit eartips.

They isolate damn well with the triple layer tape mod.  I use these at the gym and I cant hear any ambient noise when music is on.

Me and Hawaiibadboy have fed these with a idsd micro on turbo giving it about 1-2w of power.   All i can say is that **** ****ed up both our ears..... your ears will blow before the driver will.   you don't have to worry about over driving.

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #10,338 of 12,592

They isolate damn well with the triple layer tape mod.  I use these at the gym and I cant hear any ambient noise when music is on.

Me and Hawaiibadboy have fed these with a idsd micro on turbo giving it about 1-2w of power.   All i can say is that **** ****ed up both our ears..... your ears will blow before the driver will.   you don't have to worry about over driving.

Well damn.. I'll have to give the tape mod some thought then haha.

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #10,339 of 12,592
  Well damn.. I'll have to give the tape mod some thought then haha.

There was a non head fi related blog where a single person speculated once, years ago, that maybe the vent existed to keep the driver from being damaged. Knowing how much I and others have abused the 7550 with several layers tape over the vent, i would not worry.

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #10,340 of 12,592
  There was a non head fi related blog where a single person speculated once, years ago, that maybe the vent existed to keep the driver from being damaged. Knowing how much I and others have abused the 7550 with several layers tape over the vent, i would not worry.

Forgot to ask, does it matter what kind of tape?

Electrical tape or clear tape?

Feb 9, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #10,343 of 12,592

Yeah they eat amp like a  (insert inappropriate sentence here) and **** up the ears big time. Really dumb **** we done did didn't we
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #10,344 of 12,592
Received my EX800ST's from Japan a few days ago (after about a month of waiting) and almost immediately applied the tape mod and poked a hole in each side. Upon first listen, I didn't think the bass was all that big. Certainly not big enough to warrant being at the top of the Basshead IEM list. I was prepared to go back to my Aurisonic Kickers and then I decided to flip the bass boost switch. And then I understood as tactile, textured, rumbly goodness filled my ears with excellent depth, detail, and quantity. 

What surprised me most about them is how much the bass doesn't intrude on the other frequencies. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear the EX800 was a hybrid design. Its speed and transient response are excellent.
Might write a review on these but for now, I'll say I'm quite pleased. They're not the most comfortable IEMs in the world but they're good enough for me to overlook that little flaw. 

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #10,346 of 12,592
I'm looking for suggestions for a very bassy but good all around IEM. I have owned the CKS-1000, MA750, DN1000, and EPH-100. I appreciate them all but I want something with much more pronounced bass while similar in quality. The CKS-1K is the most impressive of the 4 in my mind, basswise, but I am looking for more on the low end and more refinement in highs and presentation. Something warm overall, with a wide sound stage, smooth mids, excellent for vocals, and with clear highs. Prefer to keep it under $200 but could go up to $300 or $400 if I can check off all those boxes.

I am interested in the HA FX series so would like to hear some comparisons between those and what I have, and any other suggestions as well.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #10,347 of 12,592
I'm looking for suggestions for a very bassy but good all around IEM. I have owned the CKS-1000, MA750, DN1000, and EPH-100. I appreciate them all but I want something with much more pronounced bass while similar in quality. The CKS-1K is the most impressive of the 4 in my mind, basswise, but I am looking for more on the low end and more refinement in highs and presentation. Something warm overall, with a wide sound stage, smooth mids, excellent for vocals, and with clear highs. Prefer to keep it under $200 but could go up to $300 or $400 if I can check off all those boxes.

I am interested in the HA FX series so would like to hear some comparisons between those and what I have, and any other suggestions as well.
I think you like Ibasso It03.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #10,348 of 12,592
I couldn't really find a dedicated thread for the 7550, so I'll ask this here (although if there is one, it'll be great if someone could point me to it).

Is anyone using a replacement cable that has volume controls for Android?

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #10,349 of 12,592

Been quite a while since I heard these but roughly speaking- I can only say avoid fx850 if you are looking for similar sound signature to eph-100, they are great but very 'v' (like a lot of JVC), however I do think in overall sound they are higher quality than cks1000 which is roughly comparable signature- but depending on the type of bass you like they might be a step down (850 midbass hump, cks1000 more low-end lift. Perhaps the other FX models can offer more bass though, not sure myself.

If you don't mind using eq to get the bass you are looking for and have decently powered source or willing to stack an amp, check out the Sony IEMs from the front page lists- only have ex1000 myself but reputationally ex800/7550 might be (relatively) more in line with traits you mention & also fit in at your desired price.

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #10,350 of 12,592
   Yeah they eat amp like a  (insert inappropriate sentence here) and **** up the ears big time. Really dumb **** we done did didn't we
tongue.gif

yeah it was....
biggrin.gif
   But hey, what would the world be like without people like us, pushing the limits, going to the extreme, ******* ourselves up.  Shoot, what would the two basshead threads be like.

What surprised me most about them is how much the bass doesn't intrude on the other frequencies. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear the EX800 was a hybrid design. Its speed and transient response are excellent.
Might write a review on these but for now, I'll say I'm quite pleased. They're not the most comfortable IEMs in the world but they're good enough for me to overlook that little flaw. 

thats the beauty of them.  One of the members did some measurements with the mod and the graph showed the effects of it.  With tape only, it showed that it raised the sub bass region and it quickly rolled off right before the 300hz mark, where bloat starts to begin.

I couldn't really find a dedicated thread for the 7550, so I'll ask this here (although if there is one, it'll be great if someone could point me to it).

Is anyone using a replacement cable that has volume controls for Android?

You might be **** out of luck, because of sony always using proprietary **** or connectors not widely used, its hard finding aftermarket anything for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back