Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Feb 1, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #10,261 of 12,596
If you want a balanced amp only, the fireye hdb balanced amp sounds better than the xduoo and mojo to me. It's my favorite portable amp. I've never heard such an open sound before. It's not the most powerful, but for iems it's awesome. It has really good bass off the bat but I prefer a bass boost on all my amps. I wish it had it.

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #10,262 of 12,596
Can I get an ASG 2.0 owner's perspective. I haven't tried any new IEM since @talan7 came thru repping the Radius (which I tried and approved of). I am split on waiting on an asg 2.0 to pop up for sale, or wondering if anything else has met or surpassed it. i loved it for its hyper energetic ruthlessly slammin sound. I had and really liked the ex800st/7550, but they are more relaxed than the asg 2.0. I am looking for that pure unrelenting rawness of the asg 2.0. Anyone know if i should try to find one of those again or go for something else?

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #10,264 of 12,596
There is nothing else like it... I haven't listened to mine in months though, perhaps it's time. My be ill dust them off and hook them up to my dx200.

If you dust em off just for me I'll pay for your 40 oz at the corner store. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #10,265 of 12,596
If you want a balanced amp only, the fireye hdb balanced amp sounds better than the xduoo and mojo to me. It's my favorite portable amp. I've never heard such an open sound before. It's not the most powerful, but for iems it's awesome. It has really good bass off the bat but I prefer a bass boost on all my amps. I wish it had it.

Can you roll the buffer and opamp inside it ?

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #10,267 of 12,596
I don't think so

Wasted op then, it's essentially a clone of the RSA F35 in all but discrete amping and have SE out.
To have chip rollability would have been a big plus like my PB2.

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #10,269 of 12,596

what do you mean by better?  power? Sq?

Poses the question, if your willing to spend a bit more, what does better the c5 and still portable?

Yes, please explain better.

I find the C5 to be one of the best portable amps out. I've owned a few. Still have my mojo, which sounds great, but doesn't have the bass or boost like the C5. Micro, sounds very good, but I prefer the C5. Not sure which I prefer, C5 or RHA Dacamp L1... The C5 I think has more boost on the bass... But aesthetically and functionally speaking I prefer the RHA.

Well, I definitely don't want to have worse sq and less power :wink:

I know the C5 is fantastic for it's price, so the question is, is there anything better (sq, power, portability, bass boost) for the same price or a bit more (let's say not more than 50$)?

Fiio E12 already checked - not impressed.
xduoo xd05 sounds like a good option.

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #10,270 of 12,596
C5 is a pretty good portable amp. I have used SR71A, SR71B, Meier Stepdance in the past. These are the heavy weights in the portable amp arena a few years back and C5 stacks up against them quite well, and trashes all of them in the bass department. 'Nuff said.

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #10,271 of 12,596
Hi,
I'm looking for a bit of help deciding on whether to buy the Sony EX800. I am not a basshead as such although I certainly like bass, but quality over just quantity. My daily overs are MDR1A, which are rich and heavy in sound. My favourite IEMs are XBA A1, which have a matching rich, deep sound. I'm interested in the 800's because of the overall balance, soundstage and quality of sound - and I love the design! I like "heavy" sound.
But...I cannot stand sibilance, or harsh highs (the MDR1A and XBA A1 are perfect at smoothing out rough edges) and I cannot get to audition the 800s. Would they disappoint for classic and modern rock, industrial and grunge? And is sibilance an issue, because if it is they are off my list.
Any pointers welcomed and appreciated.

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #10,272 of 12,596
Hi,
I'm looking for a bit of help deciding on whether to buy the Sony EX800. I am not a basshead as such although I certainly like bass, but quality over just quantity. My daily overs are MDR1A, which are rich and heavy in sound. My favourite IEMs are XBA A1, which have a matching rich, deep sound. I'm interested in the 800's because of the overall balance, soundstage and quality of sound - and I love the design! I like "heavy" sound.
But...I cannot stand sibilance, or harsh highs (the MDR1A and XBA A1 are perfect at smoothing out rough edges) and I cannot get to audition the 800s. Would they disappoint for classic and modern rock, industrial and grunge? And is sibilance an issue, because if it is they are off my list.
Any pointers welcomed and appreciated.

The ex800 need a lot of work to get basshead bassy. Without eq they have great depth but impact is not on the same level.

Some stuff in the refined bass list might be worth it to you?

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #10,274 of 12,596
Thanks. Hmm, makes sense. Combination of affordability and fit were attractive; I cannot wear negative profile for example, and $200 gets a new set of EX800.
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe I'll look at AD01s. Those should be warm and still bassy..?

I assume you're talking about the Alpha & Delta AD01?

If so, then yes they are definitely warm and bassy. Not sure if it's basshead level, but it can rumble. Comfort may be an issue due to the large housings (no problems for me) and I suggest getting the upgraded cable, which is great.

So far I'm really happy with them. Check out some of the reviews on it. The Headphone List for example did one.

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #10,275 of 12,596
Yes, the Alpha Delta. I've ordered from lendmeurears before, and I trust them. I've fancied a set of those for a while as well...Hmm, you know what? .....
Ordered a set. :) :D Only just across the water in Singapore, I'm in Malaysia so let's see how long it takes..:wink: Pretty sure from reading the thread that they will suit me, even if they are not end game. Definitely worth a try.
Thanks.
Save some money for something else..:D :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back