Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread
Jan 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #407 of 470
3.5 years and going....talk about a resilient iem

guys , tell me something

i have the RE-272 and i wanted to ask if buying a pair of these for 49$ as a backup is a good idea

or perhaps , coming from the 272 , the re-0 will seem to me not good enough ?

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #408 of 470
Quote:

guys , tell me something

i have the RE-272 and i wanted to ask if buying a pair of these for 49$ as a backup is a good idea

It is officially discontinued though, at least till the stock on current sale is all depleted. Same goes for all current HifiMan IEM (RE262 / RE272) where RE400 and RE600 will take over in time.

I actually just bought a back-up pair of RE0 even though my old RE0 (as well as RE272) is still going strong. That should tell you my answer.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #409 of 470
Quote:

guys , tell me something

I don't know how good the RE-272 is, but I don't have a big problem going from the W4 or W3 to the RE0 when alternating.

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #410 of 470
Quote:

I don't know how good the RE-272 is, but I don't have a big problem going from the W4 or W3 to the RE0 when alternating.

Going from the RE-272 to the RE0 is in my experience less of a diversion than going from W4 to the RE0. This is purely based on sound signature match up more than personal preference.

So buying a pair of  RE0 at its current $49 price tag and to be used as a cheap backup for the RE272.  All I can say is that I think it is a very good idea.

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #411 of 470
Quote:

Going from the RE-272 to the RE0 is in my experience less of a diversion than going from W4 to the RE0. This is purely based on sound signature match up more than personal preference.

So buying a pair of  RE0 at its current $49 price tag and to be used as a cheap backup for the RE272.  All I can say is that I think it is a very good idea.

Yeah, it's more of a difference going from the W3 to RE0 since their signatures are more contrastive. The W4 is markedly better imo, but the main difference is the fullness of sound. Still, the RE0's for $49 is great. They'll clearly be gone soon too, so may as well buy em while you can.

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #412 of 470
The 272 is another excellent IEM.  I would call The RE-0 slightly dryer sounding then the 272, but not at all in a bad way.  just a little different.  I'm going by memory, and I think I recall the 272 has a bit more soundstage.  for $50 bucks, you seriously cant lose.  thats why I bought a backup pair as well, even though mine work great.

I"ve not tried this W3, I will have to.

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #413 of 470
Quote:

Yeah, it's more of a difference going from the W3 to RE0 since their signatures are more contrastive. The W4 is markedly better imo, but the main difference is the fullness of sound. Still, the RE0's for $49 is great. They'll clearly be gone soon too, so may as well buy em while you can.

I agree and the RE0 seems to be a very logical choice to complement the RE272 as a cheap kick around option particular when it might be discontinued very soon, at least this is how it seems where it's going in the forthcoming line up.

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #415 of 470
The 272 and RE0 aren't very different. Those graphs show very similar FR's. RE0 at $49 is a really really good deal.

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #416 of 470
I am not sure why, I have the RE0 which is one of my very first IEM and I feel they are so so. I then acquired many more IEMs and a headphone AMP.

One day I listen to the RE0 with the AMP and wow that is a lot of difference with and without AMP. I think AMP is important for the RE0 to perform to it's full potential.
As of today, I have move to other equipment and even sold the TF10 but I will never sell the RE0. I like it best compare with all my current IEMs and earbuds.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #417 of 470
Sometimes, with the RE0, I feel like missing some "air".
now, is AIR's the word I am looking for, in this case ?

Air = more extension
OR
Air = kind of sparkles / over-emphasized parts of brightness
OR
Air = ...something else ?

This is the my issue (/quandary):
take, for example, the song: "Demons", by Brian McFadden.
Link for a legal preview, here: http://megaboon.com/common/preview/track/2804102.mp3

The RE0's presentation feels too(?) dark... And it makes me feel like there is not enough breathing there.
It makes me feel a lack of air in my throat, while listening to the song;

it is, in a way, similar to the feeling you have before you cough. Only, you don't, Because it's a "small" one.

does anybody understands what am I mumbling about ? 

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #418 of 470
OMG just got the Sony Hybrids
total sound changer!

it was a PITA to put them on, 
but it was worth it completely!

I am much more enjoying my music now.. i'm not ashamed to hear "dance" songs now.

tomorrow i will compare with my newly member.. (RE-272)

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #419 of 470
Quote:
OMG just got the Sony Hybrids
total sound changer!

it was a PITA to put them on, 
but it was worth it completely!

I am much more enjoying my music now.. i'm not ashamed to hear "dance" songs now.

tomorrow i will compare with my newly member.. (RE-272)

Hrmm... interesting. I never tried to use my sony tips because the bore size is significantly smaller than the stock RE0 tips. I'll give it a go.

EDIT: Seems to work quite well actually. Wasn't too hard to install them, just make the Sony tips inside out then sort of twist them from one corner onto the RE0's. I like it :)

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #420 of 470
Yeah, had to work very carefully with small tweezers (pincers) to get it on.

there are things clearer on the soundstage (which seems now larger on a slight margin)

take for example, the song: "Era - Ameno".
you can now hear the low-bass rumble (something I only heard with IEMs like Sennheiser's IE80 and such.. )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back